• TIMELINE

large eps files in CS5 - why

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:11 pm

large eps files in CS5 - why

Hi

I recently upgraded to CS5 and now all my eps files are huge, what used to be about 400k is now 5mb. It's just a solid square and some letters to get a quote for flat cut letters so no intricate details.

anybody know how to reduce these sizes as it's such a pain sending a 5mb file for a quote for a few letters.

cheers

Warren
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Its when you create a new dcocument there are presets you need to check your settings to make sure you have the suitable resolution set.

Cheers
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:14 am

Hi Warren,

I have found that for whatever reason (maybe based on what Johnny says) that EPS files seem to end up much larger than AI files - even if the same basic text.

Would it be easier and a smaller file to send as a PDF or AI instead? (you would need to make the width and height of bounding box when setting up new document file large enough otherwise will chop outside of bounding box - which doesn't happen with EPS).

I only have CS4 rather than CS5 - so maybe worse for CS5 as well.

Martin
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 am

I'll check the resolution settings.

It was fine in CS4 and the eps files were not so big as I mentioned above, there must be some setting that is now different in CS5 that is making them so large, I just need to find out what it is as I'm sure there shouldn't be such a difference.

I always feel safer sending an EPS file rather than a PDF as I think the eps file is more accessible to the suppliers and maybe more accurate, not sure but just know I have more problems with PDF's than EPS's

I'm hoping it's a resolution issue of some sort.

cheers

Warren
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:51 am

Finally files contain things like Profiles so they are more portable. Good thing imo as hard drives are cheaper now
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 am

Dave Rowland wrote:Finally files contain things like Profiles so they are more portable. Good thing imo as hard drives are cheaper now

yeah but email and broadband are lagging behind a bit, I don't care how big the file is for my system but to email a 5mb file for a few letters is taking the p1ss :wink:
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:30 pm

You may want to check to see if a header is being saved. A header is a low resolution bitmap used for positioning in programmes such as Quarke. Headers are not required for drawing programmes such as Corel or Illustrator, Signlab etc therefor the file is small, add a bitmap header and it can get large depending on how big your drawing is.
Just a thought.
Alan D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:51 am

Hi Warren,

Just noticed this thread and I would be interested to know if you resolved it.

One thing that sprung to mind for me is possibly a legacy text issue? This would really only be applicable if the file, or a portion of the file was created in your earlier version.

I did have a similar instance on one occasion, an inexplicably large file from a client. I resolved the problem by using distiller to convert to a pdf file and then exporting from acrobat to an eps. Obviously not a practical solution to do on a daily basis.

Just a thought,
Robyn
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:55 am

Hi Robyn

I tried every combination of option I could but nothing worked too well to reduce the file size, I was getting a 3mb file for a rectangle outline with 4 circles to indicate drill holes, no text, graphics or anything just one think rectangle and 4 tiny circles, crazy.

So far all I am doing now is sending an ai file and so far all my suppliers I have sent them to seem to have Illustrator and could open them so that's my solution until one of them tell me they can't open it and then will have to send them a large file :-?

cheers

Warren
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:38 am

gah! sounds like you have a real pickle there.

I have one final thought though, probably something you've already tried, but I hate unsolved riddles!

Under the Actions Palette there is a script called "delete unused panel items".

Once you've finished creating your file, run that script and then make sure you save a copy of the file before you export the eps file. It's a long shot :-)

Hey...If you ever find out the answer to this one, throw up a post! I'd love to know.

Cheers!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:11 pm

nope didn't work, I'll let you know if I ever figure it out.

cheers

Warren
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:08 pm

ah nuts.

Very nonsensical!

Oh well... best of luck Warren :-)
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:57 am

Huh! old thread!
But also IF you make a PDF file from illustrator, uncheck "illustrator editing capabilities" as this will increase file size!

Regards
Jan
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:16 am

Ive been training people in illustrator for a few years - and you're all right - EPS files are huge for no apparent reason!

If its a regular job and it doesn't need any features of CS5.5 at the recipient then I save a copy as a previous version - even down to CS2 - and the EPS becomes very small in file size.

Sometimes when you reopen the file in CS5 and resave in CS5 it remains small.

Adobe are working on this I believe and will address it in an update.

Billy

Return to Adobe Software