my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Sign UK Show Update & Signlab 7

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:55 am

Sign UK Show Update & Signlab 7

Went to show on Tuesday and was very dissapointed. The place is Kneck Deep in Digital printers all printing very pretty piccys.
This isn't what signmaking is all about at least not when I last looked. There is not enough people selling proper sign stuff that you can actually make signs out of. I was at Sign UK back in 2002 and nothing has changed since then.

As for Signlab 7 we bought Signlab 6 as it was released over 3 year ago and it was riddled with faults the only thing that has changed (and I had chance to play with it) is the Photoscript RIP and the plot spooler. I will not be upgrading this time and would advise any one against this.

:evil: :evil:
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:20 am

many freebies?? :D :D

not that Im tight or nuffink
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:35 am

Hi Heyskull (real name?) - Join the "I hate e6" club (I'm a founder member)
Col :evil:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:08 am

NO FREEBIES AT ALL WORTH TALKING ABOUT. DON'T WASTE FUEL STAY AT WORK MAKE SOME PENNIES OR EVEN REAL CASH!!!!!!

Honestly I should have stayed in bed as it is a 500 mile round trip from up here in Cumbria.!!!!!

Colin Do I get a badge and a weekly news letter with the I Hate E6 Club because when I joined the Dennis & Gnasher Club (Beano) you got loads of free stuff
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:34 am

Hi Heyskull - I've still got a gnasher badge but I am keeping it (I have to leave the kids something in my will). Sold out of "I hate e6" badges but I have a few t-shirts left (extra - extra large only I'm afraid)
Col
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:01 pm

It was mostly printers. It seemed to me that they were all trying to flog the same model.

I did meet a few lads and lasses from here though, and had a bit of a laugh so it wasn't a completely wasted day.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:18 pm

Yep I agree mainly pretty digi printers, ok if your in teh market at this time for one but otherwise not a great deal. I only managed to blag 2 free squeegees too.

And meeting some of the other guys was great. Rob i'm sure after his lonely stay at his £200 a night with no breakie hotel will post them up tomorrow :roll:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:35 pm

So sorry to hear it was a drag after all that build up.
This is why someone needs to have their own meet.
If anyone ever wants to have one, I can give suggestions
and I would try to come over...but be forewarned it is quite an endeavor.
(to have a meet I mean)
We have trade shows here but I rarely attend...it's just not the same.
As long as you folks got to yakk a bit and maybe bend yer elbows,
I suppose it wasn't all for naught.
Love- Jill
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:40 pm

Same here, just loads of big printers and even bigger printers.
Fine if you're a big producer, but not much for us smaller sign shops.

Oh well.... only 400 miles wasted!
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:52 pm

I made it home, after driving the wrong way for half an hour. Idiot. I can always find the place ok but manage to find different ways home from it. Your right though the big printers kind of over shadowed it all a bit, but I still managed to pick up some useful stuff. I suppose thats the great thing about being new, its easy to find new stuff.

Really great to meet people though, made the day for me. I probably would have left much earlier otherwise (seeing as the bar shut early :evil: , not a bad thing though as I was driving).

As above highlight was meeting people from here, who I didn't recognise at first. :D
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:52 pm

by the sounds of it i will stay at work thursday
thanks for the feed back

chris
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:07 pm

Liam, you're just like me. I think I've found about 20 different routes back from the NEC. It was good to meet you today, and all the other lot. Unfortunately, just when the small Scottish one arrived I had to leave to pick up some printing on the way home. I now await the piles of junk mail from all those suppliers who scanned my badge!

And if Dewi is reading this, I am definitely getting a haircut. Jeremy Clarkson indeed! :wink:
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:19 pm

I'm sure he will be reading it, you'll soon know cos he will reply to it like he does to every other post!! :P :D :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:55 pm

Now now :D Great day, just got in, thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I particularly enjoyed seeing the invisible girlfriend though :wink:

Stayed behind a few hours having a chat and a drink, hence the hour of my return :D

Great to meet everyone as well. Obviously the lack of a Europoint stand ment we probably missed a few ppl.

I need a brew and a smoke, so I won't disappoint Andy, I'll post a few more replies to things later on :wink:

Cheers, Dewi
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:59 pm

I found her eventually Dew. She was watching some bloke trying to wrap a motorbike. Her first words to me were: "I now know everything about signs". Looks like I've got a new assistant! If I could just get her to give up dentistry. :-?
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:38 am

Took a group of 11 lads all aged 16-17 from the signmaking course they all enjoyed the show and brought back loads of stuff the best being 42 pens, 6 mugs, 5 tape measures and a stress ball. It did give them a chance to see new products and services coming on to the market particularly those from smaller manufacturers who don't see large equipment like the big digital stuff. It was my 4th show and was the worst one yet but still enjoyable.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:37 pm

Finally got to bed around midnight and minutes later the alarm went at 5:45am. I leapt from bed full of the joys of spring and headed for work(yeah right!).
Honestly though, I wouldn't change a thing, sure it was a long day (an even shorter night) and the show emphasis was biased to large digi print and megabucks machinery, but this was more than compensated for by meeting many of the regulars here.
The show also had plenty to offer an inexperianced signmaker like myself, but thats just me. To seasoned pro's not wanting to invest heavily I can see it would feel lackluster, but surely the LED's should have taken care of that?
Great meeting everyone though and realising what good likenesses people are posting of themselves :wink:

Cheers
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:59 pm

sign show

Yes i agree with you i have been going for years worst one yet unless you want a digital printing machine where will signmaking go next???????????
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:20 pm

big G wrote:I found her eventually Dew. She was watching some bloke trying to wrap a motorbike

A likely story mate :lol: :lol: Seriously though, was a pleasure to meet you guys (even if I didn't recognise Mort without a pint in front of him :lol: :lol: ). Still can't get over the size of you guys either, I certainly know who to call if someone doesn't pay thier bills! :wink: :wink:

Looking forward to your visit as well Mort, there's a pub across the road from the shop, so we can always do some elbow excersises as Jill calls them :D

Pete, glad to hear you got back okay mate, sorry I didn't call at lunch today, busy as!

I agree with everyone, mainly printers at the show, but I did find alot of interesting gear that I'll no doubt be purchasing. Managed 3 free sign mags (woohoo!), a free squeegee, a few vinyl samples and more sales literature than I can fit through my shredder :wink:

Maybe we should arrange a weekend meet somewhere. All get together, have a beer or two and a natter. Least we'll be able to mock the vertically challenged and play "hunt the girlfriend" and "blind everyone with your flash" for party games :wink: :oops: :P :lol:

Cheers, Dewi
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:03 pm

Well guys and girls, the week got the better of me so i wasn't able to make it, still i didn't miss much on the exhibition side of things, seems alot of suppliers weren't exhibiting.

Sorry I missed all who were there, maybe next time
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:13 pm

All this talk of the sign show and nobody has mentioned seeing the little surprise on the signgold stand. hands up how many saw the panel done by our very own jillbeans, very very nice work jill.

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat