my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Pictures: traditional Background paint effects for my signs

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Pictures: traditional Background paint effects for my signs

Here are some of the type of paint effects I use for my signs,almost any thing can be replicated stone,wood,metals,marbles to enhance the overall sign...& keep it all trad.Not that I'm against new!
Last edited by Shane Ralph on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:31 pm

Are these backgrounds actually painted by hand?

Do you have any pictures of them in use on signs, would be good to see thanks

Liam
<<

Post Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:46 pm

excellent work Shane, top notch mate.

thank you for taking the time to post your work.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks for showing Shane.
I think Jill Beans has a demo somewhere on here on creating the marble effect,
nice to see what can be done just using paint, and a few tools.

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:02 pm

Top Draw! Superb Stuff!! who needs the real thing

I remember being taught the marble finish using a quill.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:51 pm

Lovely!
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:59 pm

[quote="Liam Pattison"]Are these backgrounds actually painted by hand?

Do you have any pictures of them in use on signs, would be good to see thanks
Last edited by Shane Ralph on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:08 pm

Martin Cole wrote:Top Draw! Superb Stuff!! who needs the real thing

I remember being taught the marble finish using a quill.

Yep, some time's use goose feathers but mostly a sword liner for the
veins in the wood graining & marble
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:38 pm

Those are stunning.
Lovely, lovely work.
Don't look at my demo because it it **** compared to yours.
Love....Jill
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Awesome panels Shane, you're a talented guy.

It's years since I did any graining or marbling, not since college days. I did a
little after but not much.

I feel inspired now to get my quills and combs out. :D

Look forward to seeing more of your work.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:27 pm

Shane that is inspiring lovely examples thank you

Lynn
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Amazing work Shane....very impressed...any of this on public display?
Best graining I ever saw was in the old Clarence Hotel before Bono and the Edge revamped it....wonder is it still there.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:41 am

Harry Cleary wrote:Amazing work Shane....very impressed...any of this on public display?
Best graining I ever saw was in the old Clarence Hotel before Bono and the Edge revamped it....wonder is it still there.

Ive seen one other graining example that was defo done by a master in Dublin
its in mahogany swirl on Georgian doors looks as if its done using trans oil glaze.I think the Best effects are achieved when the viewer naturally thinks its
wood/marble etc & not "ooh look thats a nice paint effect".

yeah a few are out there for all to see but 95% are in private houses/areas (you'd be surprised where) Lough Rynn castle Co Lietrim, main hall ceiling in oak, a few doors there too.Belleek castle Co Mayo main hall are some that are.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:55 am

And at the risk of sounding like a total skeezebag, your own picture is nice to look at as well.
:oops:
tee hee
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:10 am

Lough Rynn castle, bad pics...done with mobile phone
Last edited by Shane Ralph on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:14 am

Jillbeans wrote:And at the risk of sounding like a total skeezebag, your own picture is nice to look at as well.
:oops:
tee hee

errm :blush:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:09 pm

Those doors look like ones in my grandma's house which were hand grained. Which were then all painted white after it was sold.
:(
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Top notch work there Shane...thanks for taking the time to share
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:57 pm

Brilliant work Shane, lovely to see, thanks for showing and lets see some more please.

Cheers

Dave
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:23 pm

being a wood guy, those faux finishes just blow me away!!!!!

Would those have to have an exterior clear coat to be used outdoors?

Great work!!!

Joe
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 am

Joe Cieslowski wrote:being a wood guy, those faux finishes just blow me away!!!!!

Would those have to have an exterior clear coat to be used outdoors?

Great work!!!

Joe

Hi Joe, yes I would protect them with exterior varnish
Last edited by Shane Ralph on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:14 pm

I have to say Shane, it's very unusual for me to be especially impressed with anything when you see the average standard of work these days. But that is stunning, it's a gift to be able to do that to that standard, it can never really be learned. The guy I done my apprenticeship with could do it to that quality, but I was never satisfied with what I could achieve, and have never offered it as a service. That said I could still do it far better than half the pub refits you see these days :-? Seldom do I give a compliment, but hats off to you.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 am

[quote
Last edited by Shane Ralph on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:21 pm

You mean that the ornament one is a flat piece of wood? :o :o :o
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Shane, your work just looks looks better with every picture.
:D
Lovely stuff.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:42 pm

(!)
Last edited by Shane Ralph on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:12 pm

I was tempted to post a pic of some real oak, and pretend it was my work :D But to be honest, real oak doesn't look that good. With regards to brush signwriting, I like to think I can stand my ground against, pretty much anyone. But compared to that oak, my graining can only be described as rubbish. I have no pics of my graining, which is good, as I would be too embarrased to post them if I had. :cry: I'll figure how to post some of my brushwork for opinions.....
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:15 am

Just posting a couple of pics of some of my stuff so anyone can accept Ive got half an idea myself. Appreciate the siteboards are a bit of an easy style, but be fair, I was barely 14! (Note the school uniform, I wasn't auditioning as an extra in Gregory's Girl!) The Beach Buggy is gilded, but other than the letters on the Grand Hotel, Ive not done much of it. The Cosmetics sign was one of a set of freehand signs, which is the type of stuff I used to like painting. I did used to get some odd responses because people really didnt expect the complete randomness of how I felt things should be done. I still have that problem in most areas of my life!
The CADOWS logo was surprisingly difficult. I put it on a bedford CF van in 1982 for the local Vauxhall dealer and I really did think at one point that Id overstretched myself when I hadnt as yet even done an art O level!
Attachments
resize baby bobsy.jpg
resize caddows.jpg
resize cosmetics.jpg
resize gild.jpg
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:59 am

Jill Marie Welsh wrote:Shane, your work just looks looks better with every picture.
:D
Lovely stuff.

Thanks Jill
Last edited by Shane Ralph on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:08 am

Bob Clarkson wrote:Just posting a couple of pics of some of my stuff so anyone can accept Ive got half an idea myself. Appreciate the siteboards are a bit of an easy style, but be fair, I was barely 14! (Note the school uniform, I wasn't auditioning as an extra in Gregory's Girl!) The Beach Buggy is gilded, but other than the letters on the Grand Hotel, Ive not done much of it. The Cosmetics sign was one of a set of freehand signs, which is the type of stuff I used to like painting. I did used to get some odd responses because people really didnt expect the complete randomness of how I felt things should be done. I still have that problem in most areas of my life!
The CADOWS logo was surprisingly difficult. I put it on a bedford CF van in 1982 for the local Vauxhall dealer and I really did think at one point that Id overstretched myself when I hadnt as yet even done an art O level!

Nice stuff Bob , judging by the uniform & hair style thats around the time 'Gregory's girl' film was on tv
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:51 am

Now isn't Ireland a small funny wee place . . I was over in Lough Rynn castle a while back with my wife for a wonderful dinner and while being in the business of being a decorative artist myself & being familiar with the old house in lough Rynn, I was keen to see what they'd done with the place, so I took a good gander around. I was very impressed with the finishes & especially the wood graining & here's why.

Back in the early nineties after I'd moved to Dublin looking for work, a good sign-writer friend rang to say he'd landed a job with some 'posh painters' who worked from a studio out of Dame Street above an antique shop, and wonder of wonders, there was another job going for someone who could do wood-graining. . I of course jumped at it .. as you do. Now over time, these chaps introduced me to a whole world of different techniques & finishes that I never even could of imagined existed, leading to me to eventually becoming somewhat of the resident, 'in house' wood-graining expert.
Now I have to admit here Shane that your graining is far superior to anything my humble hands have ever produced & quite probably, yours is the best I've ever seen. . your attention to detail is simply impeccable, my own graining, even on a good day would be a hell of a lot looser.

Anyhow, to bring this little story in full circle . .one of them 'posh painters' who I was working for at that time was named Nathaniel Clements, a direct descendant (grandson methinks) of the excommunicated Lord Leitrim, whose ancestral home was . . .you guessed it . . Lough Rynn castle & estate.

Keep posting them pics Shane. .they're inspirational.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:24 pm

Andy Regan wrote:Now isn't Ireland a small funny wee place . . I was over in Lough Rynn castle a while back with my wife for a wonderful dinner and while being in the business of being a decorative artist myself & being familiar with the old house in lough Rynn, I was keen to see what they'd done with the place, so I took a good gander around. I was very impressed with the finishes & especially the wood graining & here's why.

Back in the early nineties after I'd moved to Dublin looking for work, a good sign-writer friend rang to say he'd landed a job with some 'posh painters' who worked from a studio out of Dame Street above an antique shop, and wonder of wonders, there was another job going for someone who could do wood-graining. . I of course jumped at it .. as you do. Now over time, these chaps introduced me to a whole world of different techniques & finishes that I never even could of imagined existed, leading to me to eventually becoming somewhat of the resident, 'in house' wood-graining expert.
Now I have to admit here Shane that your graining is far superior to anything my humble hands have ever produced & quite probably, yours is the best I've ever seen. . your attention to detail is simply impeccable, my own graining, even on a good day would be a hell of a lot looser.

Anyhow, to bring this little story in full circle . .one of them 'posh painters' who I was working for at that time was named Nathaniel Clements, a direct descendant (grandson methinks) of the excommunicated Lord Leitrim, whose ancestral home was . . .you guessed it . . Lough Rynn castle & estate.

Keep posting them pics Shane. .they're inspirational.

Thanks for the compliment Andy. I could tell you a few hairy stories about Lough Rynn (builders/butchers) ha ha, but in all it was a good experience.
Are you still active in decorative art work?
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Shane Ralph wrote:Thanks for the compliment Andy. I could tell you a few hairy stories about Lough Rynn (builders/butchers) ha ha, but in all it was a good experience.
Are you still active in decorative art work?

I think them particular builders are gone wallop now. Yes mate I'm still plodding along. . .Restoration work is keeping my otherwise idle hands busy, & my head just above the water these days. (lisa)

Return to Traditional