Categories
  • TIMELINE

Coreldraw and AppleMac

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:55 pm

Coreldraw and AppleMac

Advice from you Apple boffins, please?

We're in the process of (hopefully) changing from PC to Apple using Coreldraw as our preferred software. The reason being, I am totally frustrated with the slowness and frequent problems encountered with both our XP and Vista OS's. Particularly Vista. What a hateful system that is!

We presently use X3 but since we didn't take out insurance when we bought it we can't transfer it to any new computers so we're looking at X5 and starting from scratch.

The main question really is, can Coreldraw X5 be used on the latest Apple computers?

I've looked on the Coreldraw website and it only refers to PC's. No mention of Apple.

Any help in this request will be greatly appreciated.

Tim
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Nope. Corel stopped doing Mac versions about ten years ago.

There's no answer for you really because although there are various ways a Mac can emulate a PC very nicely, it brings you back to the wonderful world of Windows.

With the recent upsurge of Mac market share I wouldn't be surprised if Corel doesn't make a return to the platform, but who knows how far away that might be.

Changing to Illustrator might be a solution, but that would involve a learning curve, which you might not want.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks for your reply John. What a shame. Apple would make such a difference. I guess the new Windows 7 and a very powerful PC might be the answer.

I was hoping to see the last of PC's having seen Applemac's in operation. They are stunning.

Not overly keen on changing to new software as quite used to Coreldraw now.

Back to the drawing board me thinks.

Tim
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:05 pm

there is a recent thread where I am talking about macs and running PC software on them, somewhere....

I am not worried about running Corel with software like parallels and the other one, it seems to work so i read.

I am on X3 now and dont understand what you mean by insurance? is that a volume license program issue or someone bought the wrong version?

X5 upgrade path is a valid Corel Draw version, so bare that in mind.

Next week the boxes should be sent out to those that have pre-ordered the software.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:05 pm

Corel V11 was the last MAC offering, sales were poor and that is why it was developed for further versions. Both X4 and X5 use the Windows open and save for the dialog boxes so search is readily available on vista and W7. X5 flies on my i5 W7 machine and is reliable. As John says if you must use a MAC an emulation is your only solution.
I must say I am very pleased with W7, I prefer it to XP and Vista, I run Signlab V8 and corel Draw at the same time with no problems.
Alan D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:46 pm

v11 is history.... i think corel missed the boat with x5 for the mac.... even games are coming to the mac now, its actual market place is getting as big as pc.... if x6 doesn't go cross platform, it will be a big mistake by corel
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Dave

I'll look at your thread. I'm interested in reading that.

The licensing issue regards my original purchase of X3. I have a three pc license. When one of the pc's went kapput i bought a new one and then found i couldn't load up the original software. I contacted Corel and they told me i didn't buy insurance cover. If i had i'd be able to restore my business to three X3 computers. Now i'm down to two!!

Alan

Seems Windows 7 is a leap forward for Microsoft so will look at that option as well. I'm weary of Vista in particular so 7 might be the way forward.

Tim
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:11 pm

The Macs from what i've seen really are the Rolls Royce compared to my Trabbant PC.

Its not just the operating system which is far superior but a very long list of clever and innovative benefits which PC's do not and cannot offer.

Just talk to someone who's got a Mac and you will be flabbergasted at what it can do.

Hopefully Corel will wake up and see the benefit us sign makers/graphics bods can have if they offer it.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:22 pm

We can only assume that Corel have done their marketing and accounting have done the sums. I think it would be easy to over-estimate the Mac market for potential Corel users.
I can't see me ever changing, I'm just not sure what a MAC can do for me over and above what I'm getting now, especially if I'm expected to pay a premium for it.
Alan D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:41 pm

Alan Drury wrote:We can only assume that Corel have done their marketing and accounting have done the sums. I think it would be easy to over-estimate the Mac market for potential Corel users.
I can't see me ever changing, I'm just not sure what a MAC can do for me over and above what I'm getting now, especially if I'm expected to pay a premium for it.
Alan D

That's just it Alan, you don't know what it can do for you. PC's work obviously as most of you use them, I try not to and when I do have to (like recently) I remembered how much I hate them and don't even want to run Parallels to run windows on my mac as it's just horrible compared to mac.

If it works for you what ever it is then use it but don't be afraid to look to see if it could perhaps do it better than a PC.

The mac market is growing faster than the PC market which indicates there is a shift, it will take a long time but if it carries on how it is then it will happen, Microsoft are trying to avoid this happening by emulating what Apple does and there's no denying that looking at the new microsoft OS.

Macs are much much easier to use, more stable and much more versatile.

Pop in to an Apple store and ask for a demo, you will be amazed.

If you can use Coral or Freehand then transition to Illustrator is not too bad, I changed from Macromedia Freehand to Illustrator and wanted to pull my hair out for about 2 days and then all was good, the only real frustration is where to find things and short cut keys as you will keep pressing the wrong ones until you remember the new ones, it's not that bad at all as all these types of softwares do the same things but are sometimes just called different thing (like convert text to curves in some and outlines in another)

That's just my opinion after using PC for many years and Mac for a few years since and still am forced to use PC today due to rips etc.

cheers

Warren
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:26 pm

Corel might surprise us with a mac answer soon and they need to come out and talk more with the users, I didn't like the fact that they kept a quiet beta program without releasing any details, this is bad for publicity indeed.

Mac will make significant advances towards the sign making market, they need the big players like signlab and corel onboard.

If the coders have been doing their jobs correctly, then for the last 10-20 years the corel code must now be so refined that porting to the mac will be straight forward (as they already done some of it).

They miss out big time if they dont go with the trend.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi Dave

Have replied to your pm.

Darren is right the Mac is a far superior computer. Ask someone who really uses one and see what it can do. You'd bin your pc immediatley. Us pc users really are in the dark ages and we can't get out of it at the moment because we are Corel software users.

Huge shame.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:23 pm

I wouldn't worry about porting Corel across, sounds like you have convinced yourself. Just make the move to illustrator, an industry standard and far superior to Corel (just my opinion) (:) (:) (:)
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi Jason

I'm tempted to go to illustrator. We are getting more involved with other graphics designers and this is what they use. with their Macs of course.

Need to do a bit more research me thinks.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:15 pm

Jason Davies wrote:Just make the move to illustrator, an industry standard and far superior to Corel (just my opinion) (:) (:) (:)

:yes1:
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:51 pm

Jason Davies wrote:I wouldn't worry about porting Corel across, sounds like you have convinced yourself. Just make the move to illustrator, an industry standard and far superior to Corel (just my opinion) (:) (:) (:)

I've never used Illustrator Jason......in what way is it superior to Corel?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:26 pm

Glenn Sharp wrote:I've never used Illustrator Jason......in what way is it superior to Corel?

Glenn, I'm not going to get into a feature by feature comparison. You would need somebody who uses both alongside each other, and is a lot more familiar with both sides of the coin than me.

I don't doubt that Corel is a good piece of software, and will do the job admirably for most signmakers, but I would say that I have never seen a Corel file come out of any design or marketing studio.

Like it, or not, Illustrator is the professional standard.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Have to agree with John on this one, unfortunately it started off as a cheap universal PC package and has never really been adopted by graphics professionals. It's a very popular home package which isn't wrong but in terms of industry standard and appropriate integration it doesn't quite reach the mark.

However I am not criticising the output or the quality of work achieved as I have seen lots of fantastic work produced with this package.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:35 pm

i got someone on our team who went from illustrator to corel as that is what we provided him with when he join us, but he now prefers Corel.

I tried to get comfortable with illustrator last year as there is a lot of benefits when working with PDF files, but it has it's quirks... the main gripe with me is node editing and doing curves/lines, it is very different to the way corel does them, i really dont like the way illustrator has a single handle that allows you to shape it, you can click on the curve from memory but its fiddly. However an illustrator user prob hate the way corel does curves. lol

Corel for the mac would be a huge step in the right direction.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:23 am

Well this one could run and run forever.
I did go and have a MAC demo in one of there shops and still couldn't see the major advantage over my PC and especially not over a W7 machine.
Corel and Illustrator, Corel won't be surprising us for this version and I tried Illustrator alongside Draw, albeit some versions ago and all I can say is I'm still with Corel and if I were Adobe I would have been ashamed for releasing Illy. I believe Illy is far better now and it needed to be.
You probably see more Corel jobs than you think, once they are pdf for out put the generator is accademic. It will be down to operator skills rather than software design wise and there gidted people who use either.
Cadlink did have a MAC version and that was dropped but who knows what the future brings
At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your pick. I pay less for a PC and I pay less for my softeware and I have a better choice.
Alan D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 am

Alan,

I don't think that the superiority (that sounds a bit over the top, but I don't think that betterness is a proper word) of the Mac is obvious from a demo in a shop. It takes a bit of use before you suddenly realise how much easier everything is with a Mac. It starts with initial set-up, transferring files and settings from your old computer, and so on, which you don't see because the demo machine is already up and running.

It goes on with adding peripherals like external discs, monitors, printers etc. All those software discs that come with those bits of kit and need installing. With a Mac you just throw them away because, when you plug in anything and switch it on, it just works. I bought some CCTV cameras last week and just connected them up, switched them on, and Hey Presto, pictures on my screen. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Have a word with Peter Mindham. When he came here he was a dyed-in-the-wool PC man, but I think you'll find he's changed his opinion now. Ask him particularly about how long it took him to install MicroSoft Office on both types of computer.

With a bit of familiarity Macs are easier to use and maintain, but that's a bit more subjective, so pointless discussing it here.

I also don't think that an equivalent spec Mac is more expensive than a PC when all the features are taken into account and costed.

Back to software. It used to be that Illy was the professional tool and Corel the amateur equivalent, the sort of thing bought by the likes of local authorities who thought that they could save money by doing their own artwork and printing their own flyers. That has changed somewhat and, like you say, some excellent work is produced with Corel these days. Nevertheless, there is still some hangover and as I said above, you never see Corel files coming out of design or marketing agencies.

Perhaps I'm a bit more sensitive to that than many, because dealing with files produced by others is a large part of my life. If someone's main work is producing and processing files which they have generated themselves, then it doesn't matter what they use as long as it gets the results.

Just look at the file conversion threads, and see who needs help the most often. I think I can guarantee that it won't be a Mac user with Illustrator. I can only remember asking for help once, and that was with a MicroSoft Works file produced by a local taxi driver's son. :evil:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks for the responses to my query guys.

We are PC Coreldraw users here but i truly believe the way forward is Mac which of course means adopting Illustrator at this point in time. Pound for pound i don't think there is necessarily a great deal in it.

I thoroughly enjoy working with Coreldraw and it suits us as signmakers, but we are getting more involved with graphics designers which lends me to think Illustrator would be more beneficial.

I'm tempted now to run a Mac with Illustrator alongside our PC Coreldraw set up. That way we will be able to cover all angles whilst getting the hang of a new application.

We need a another computer anyway and it will give us time to deliberate on the best set-up.

Thanks again as a decision has now been made and without your input i would still be treading water.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:47 am

I'm not sure we're going to meet on this one John:) I've never found installing printers and the like a problem anyway and W7 is far easier still than previous Windows offerings. As for ease of use, well I suppose you could say an automatic car is easier to drive and I don't fancy one of those either.
File compatibility, if I have problems primarily its because of the way the file has been put together, invariably the percentage of professional designers who use Illustrator or Quarke or Indesign or Photoshop is high - a larger percentage than you would have thought don't set their files up incorrectly with no thought to output - and they probably use a MAC, if they used a PC and Corel, guess what, exactly the same - poor files. I think the user has as much to do with PC/MAC divide as hardware.
Corel update their import filters with every version and I find less and less problems importing into Corel where I correct them, that is untill Adobe move the goalposts again:)
This could run and run but really its all been said before although it interesting thinking about it that Adobe and Quark feel the need to port their software to a PC but the likes of Corel and Cadlink do not feel the need to port their stuff to a MAC, that said I think the MAC market will go up considerably percentage wise but for the domestic market its probably starting off quite low.
Alan D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Alan Drury wrote:I'm not sure we're going to meet on this one John:)

I think you're right there Alan. :D

And I do appreciate that what an individual is used to plays a large part in their preference.

I do worry a bit about Tim running both systems side by side because, when difficulties arise, the temptation is always to run back to what you know, rather than get to grips with the problem. I think a better strategy would be to struggle for a couple of weeks until he gets fully up to speed with Illy, but I'm sure that Tim is aware of that and will make the effort.

Finally, automatic cars are easier. All our four wheeled vehicles are auto, even our works van. I've always preferred them and a recent relapse to a manual (Dodge Nitro) just reinforced what I knew all along, and I will never buy a manual again. :D
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Are your vehicles made by MAC? :)
I think everybody is more comfortable with what they know and that applies both sides of the PC/MAC divide, both can produce first class work and both can provide some shockers.
I don't have anything against MACS or Illy for that matter, I just question how much better they supposedly are and are they worth the premium and lack of choice and on that we will have agree to disagree. :)
Alan D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Alan Drury wrote:I've never found installing printers and the like a problem anyway and W7 is far easier still than previous Windows offerings.

You are correct Alan, and this is what i was mentioning previously about Microsoft looking and working more like a Mac with every upgrade they do which shows Apple OS is better but not that Microsoft can't do the job. There are followers and there are leaders and at the moment it is clear to see that Mac is leading.

At the end of the day if it works and it works for you then there's no problems :wink:
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Warren I do appreciate the MACs innovation and accept how much better the OS was over DOS I also recognise how the MAC followed the PC in using Intel processors.
Can we stop now :) seriously I really do appreciate the MACS place, past, present and future, I'll never say never but I probably won't be switching for a while.
Alan D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:07 pm

For people wanting to own a Mac without paying a whole lot to try it out I suggest getting an old G4 Powermac tower off of eBay or the like. I've bought about 4 of these old ones for family members and friends for around $100 each. I was using a Sawtooth one up until about a year and half ago here at work. This had a 350 MHz PPC chip in it! I had it running 10.3, but I I'm pretty sure even 10.5 would run on it. I use to have iCal, Address Book, FileMaker, iTunes, FreeHand MX, Illustrator CS2, Photoshop CS2, FontExplorerX, iChat, Apple Mail, web browser etc. all open at the same time. I won't say there wasn't a lag sometimes in Illy or PS if I'm working a big file, but for the most part it did the job just fine. Just put a decent amount of RAM in it. Anyway, that's another recommendation for someone worried about dropping £1000 plus on a Mac rig.

Just and example
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-G4-PowerMac-M ... 1c111b9e6f

Also a free useful tool to see what the specs are on different Apple products:
Mactracker:
http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/

Return to Corel Software