Categories
  • TIMELINE

town council gripe

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:41 am

town council gripe

hi folks just thought id give you my gripe for today

1. I had a taxi to letter this week the council charged £85 just to look at design before it went on just to see ifsoffensivee or not .......ive got an idea for them why not just say yes or no instead of charging for it

2. Got to do a job for for local vet want to put a sign on there own ground i repeat there own ground .. the council wants £145 for the privilege

3. every body gets charged business rates i understand that but so many vans are being unlettered because the tradesmen want to use the local dump and dont want penalizeded for it . hmmmm more lost trade

thanks for reading :D :D ahh what a lovely sunny day [/b]
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:55 pm

Well I never....

Just what is your problem!!

It's perfectly reasonable for the council to charge a fee to consider whether or not a Taxis proposed signage is acceptable. Of course they need to charge to cover council employees time to consider the application. But it's not just the time spent considering the application - they also need to pay that council employee when on holiday or off on extended sick leave, as well as their retirement pension when they eventually retire from public duty - so come on Brian - give the council a break!!

As for seeking planning permission for signs - again the same issues apply. The council do a bloody hard job trying to keep things in check and protecting the environment from unauthorised advertising everywhere. Without the councils vigilance we would have signs everywhere, and every man and his dog would be buying plottters off ebay and setting up as signmakers to keep up with the demand!!

And as for council refuse tips - I have never had a problem using a signwritten van to transport rubbish to the tip. I am quite happy to pay my fee to dump commerical rubbish - after all the EU have imposed severe restrictions on the amount of landfill we all produce and it is our public duty to comply with these rules to help protect the environment. Not only that, but just a few days ago I took my mother in laws old carpet to be disposed as refuse. Even though I was in a comercial vehicle covered in signs, the gentleman there finally believed my story that it was houshold waste after I had sworn on my mothers life.

Lighten up Brian :-?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:01 pm

I don't have a problem with the council tip. My twin strategies are:-

1. Send Jenny, or any other female who possesses the ability to cry on demand.

2. Send my old dad, who tells them that he's just been diagnosed with something terminal, and he's clearing out all his rubbish so that his children aren't left with the mess when he's gone. Oh, and he feels a bit faint, so could someone help him empty the van please?

Ethical? Maybe not, but those thieving cheating layabouts on the council lie through their teeth to me all the time, so I don't feel guilty about it at all. In fact I get a quiet satisfaction knowing that I've worked one over on them for a change. It makes me feel good for the rest of the day. :D

As an aside, the council make it more and more difficult to dispose of rubbish, then complain about the increase of fly-tipping. What on earth did those Einsteins think was going to happen? :headbang2:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:11 pm

hmmm mabe im need to get out of my beespoke design studio a bit more (shed) :D oh and my wee town has become a ghost town shops closing everywhere...i no things are bad but if i was the council id say "right lets not be so greedy folks we will drop our rates a bit let businesses breath a bit rejuvenate business, we will all benefit in the end" or am i just being silly :D .
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Brian Little wrote: i just being silly :D .

You're being silly. That's the sort of thing that only private business has to do.

Public employees think that our customers have a legal obligation to pay whatever prices we demand. Because that's the way it works in their world.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:15 pm

John Childs wrote:I don't have a problem with the council tip. My twin strategies are:-

1. Send Jenny, or any other female who possesses the ability to cry on demand.

2. Send my old dad, who tells them that he's just been diagnosed with something terminal, and he's clearing out all his rubbish so that his children aren't left with the mess when he's gone. Oh, and he feels a bit faint, so could someone help him empty the van please?

Ethical? Maybe not, but those thieving cheating layabouts on the council lie through their teeth to me all the time, so I don't feel guilty about it at all. In fact I get a quiet satisfaction knowing that I've worked one over on them for a change. It makes me feel good for the rest of the day. :D

As an aside, the council make it more and more difficult to dispose of rubbish, then complain about the increase of fly-tipping. What on earth did those Einsteins think was going to happen? :headbang2:

I can see a similarity in why people treat councils similarly to insurance companies. we as the public complain if the premiums are high, but are quite happy to claim in excess of the true value of any claim "because the insurance company can afford it"

At the end of the day we all pay rates and insurance, the amount we pay for both, increases everytime someone takes advantage of the system.

cant have it both ways can we?

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm not quite with you on this one Peter.

My opinion is that insurance companies sell us a product in a competitive market, have to survive in the real world, and are subject to the same rules of business as the rest of us. I happily accept that some folks treat insurance companies as fair game, but I would never do it.

Local authorities work entirely differently. They decide what they want to do, work out what their plans are going to cost, then send us the bill. We have no choice in the matter and are legally obliged to pay whatever they tell us.

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat