my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

car manufacturers and their owners

<<

User avatar

4 Star Contributor

Posts: 316

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:51 pm





Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:47 pm

matty goodwin wrote:These Crap chinesse Cutters and flea-bay are going to ruin this business.

Don't quite understand how fleabay or cheap plotters can ruin the sign business! I've been in the trade for over 23yrs and have very good friends who use 'chinese plotters' and when they break, replace them cheaply. I advise them to buy a descent well known brand but if there happy, there happy. At no point has it 'ruined' my business and nor has fleabay.
Quite a flippant comment to be honest.
Did Skoda ruin the car business....?


Oh! Their could be a long drawn out debate on what Skoda did to the car business,

I use a Chinese cutter myself, Trying to kill it and Can't seem to, However it's only 10 month old, lets wait until it's 1 year and one day old shall we,
The point i was trying to make was if you buy quality you get quality, Rather than a throw away job.
However! when it goes wrong and i bet you a pound to a penny that it will go wrong, well before my Roland or Houston which is fast approaching 20 years old,
It will be cheaper to dump it and get another one, Than to try to get it fixed, Tell me that is good for any signage company or the environment. (had to get that one in)
And yes in-hindsight it probably was a flippant comment, But forgive me, if you check out my other thread you will see what kind of week I've had and blowing off some steam on here is better than hitting a Goat with a wet kipper, (Don't Ask)
<<

User avatar

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Posts: 544

Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 8:58 pm





Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:15 pm

Oh! Their could be a long drawn out debate on what Skoda did to the car business,

Just what did Skoda do to the car business??

As far as i'm aware they took it from being the butt of most jokes, turned it around and now build some very nice cars.. Our local constabulary seem to like them :D form the Fabia for the town cars right upto the Rapid response
chase cars they use on the motorway... not to mention the de-badged black RS job that seems to 'goad' the unsuspecting driver on the M1 :evil:

Mind you ..... not really down to Skoda is it ...more VW :roll: :roll:
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 1237

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:17 am





Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:19 pm

Darryl Seager wrote:Just what did Skoda do to the car business??


Nothing compared to what Geely (Chinese) are going to do now they own Volvo!

john
<<

2 Star Contributor

Posts: 114

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm





Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Or what the Indian owned TATA company has done to Jaguar / Land Rover.
<<

User avatar

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Posts: 7021

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:02 pm





Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:32 pm

apart from roads what did the Romans do for us. :wink:
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 833

Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 9:58 am





Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:38 pm

What manufacturing industry is BRITISH these days?
<<

2 Star Contributor

Posts: 114

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm





Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:27 pm

John Cooper wrote:What manufacturing industry is BRITISH these days?

HHMM not many that could be called truly British.
Morgan motor company is still producing solely in the UK but I expect some parts are imported.
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 14363

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:36 pm





Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:30 pm

Richard Martin wrote:
John Cooper wrote:What manufacturing industry is BRITISH these days?

HHMM not many that could be called truly British.
Morgan motor company is still producing solely in the UK but I expect some parts are imported.


Weren't they the firm that produced the chariots for the Roman roads?

Peter
<<

2 Star Contributor

Posts: 114

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm





Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Peter Normington wrote:
Richard Martin wrote:
John Cooper wrote:What manufacturing industry is BRITISH these days?

HHMM not many that could be called truly British.
Morgan motor company is still producing solely in the UK but I expect some parts are imported.


Weren't they the firm that produced the chariots for the Roman roads?

Peter

LOL I know they have been around a while but Morgan was founded in 1913 so doubt they had anything to do with the chariots.

Sorry for the off topic reply
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 833

Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 9:58 am





Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:29 am

So that's it then - Morgan Cars :D

The MP's certainly deserve their pay rise!
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 6591

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:19 pm





Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:05 am

John Cooper wrote:So that's it then - Morgan Cars :D

Ownership may have changed since I last looked, but the largest British car manufacturer used to be Manganese Bronze.

They make London taxis. :-?
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 3889

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:44 pm





Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 am

My mate built a kit car last year, so that makes him second, probably. :)
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 7257

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:32 pm





Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:16 am

Wot about Matchbox? :D
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 14363

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:36 pm





Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:22 am

Harry Cleary wrote:Wot about Matchbox? :D


Lesney went years ago Harry, now owned by Mattel
Peter
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 7257

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:32 pm





Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:35 am

Peter Normington wrote:
Harry Cleary wrote:Wot about Matchbox? :D


Lesney went years ago Harry, now owned by Mattel
Peter


The people who make Barbie????? Never! :D
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 8054

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:22 am





Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 am

Last night when watching TV I noticed that Toyota's tagline is "moving forward"
These are the cars that have been recalled for the accelerator sticking, among other things. Lots of bad stories on the news, etc, I wonder if they will get a new ad campaign.
Love....Jill
PS
My brother still has all his 1960s Matchbox cars in their little boxes, I was never allowed to play with them and Mom wouldn't let me have a Barbie because of her "grown up" figure.
:-?
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 1401

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:59 pm

Country: United Kingdom (uk)




Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:57 pm

John Childs wrote:
John Cooper wrote:So that's it then - Morgan Cars :D

Ownership may have changed since I last looked, but the largest British car manufacturer used to be Manganese Bronze.

They make London taxis. :-?


sold to GEELY today

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 066364.ece
<<

2 Star Contributor

Posts: 114

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm





Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:22 am

Jillbeans wrote:Last night when watching TV I noticed that Toyota's tagline is "moving forward"
These are the cars that have been recalled for the accelerator sticking, among other things. Lots of bad stories on the news, etc, I wonder if they will get a new ad campaign.
Love....Jill
PS
My brother still has all his 1960s Matchbox cars in their little boxes, I was never allowed to play with them and Mom wouldn't let me have a Barbie because of her "grown up" figure.
:-?


I love how the Toyota incident has been blown up so much by the media, Toyota have actually taken positive steps to recall everything that maybe effected and the cars that have actually been effected is a very small amount.
Funny though as ford had to recall 4.5 million cars last year due to potential fire risks, but the media hype was no where near as big as the hype toyota have received.
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 14363

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:36 pm





Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:33 am

Richard Martin wrote:
Jillbeans wrote:Last night when watching TV I noticed that Toyota's tagline is "moving forward"
These are the cars that have been recalled for the accelerator sticking, among other things. Lots of bad stories on the news, etc, I wonder if they will get a new ad campaign.
Love....Jill
PS
My brother still has all his 1960s Matchbox cars in their little boxes, I was never allowed to play with them and Mom wouldn't let me have a Barbie because of her "grown up" figure.
:-?


I love how the Toyota incident has been blown up so much by the media, Toyota have actually taken positive steps to recall everything that maybe effected and the cars that have actually been effected is a very small amount.
Funny though as ford had to recall 4.5 million cars last year due to potential fire risks, but the media hype was no where near as big as the hype toyota have received.

difference is a "potential risk" toyota had an actual risk, the cars did not stop, and were involved in quite a few incidends

Peter
<<

2 Star Contributor

Posts: 114

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm





Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:47 am

Fords were catching fire from a dodgy switch, even when the ignition was off, also they announced the recall last year for cars dating back even as far as 1995.
Toyota had a very small % of real incidents, compared with the actual number of cars sold and being recalled. And other manufacturers have had worse faults that have have been a lot more dangerous than a sticky accelerator pedal. I'm aware of the braking issue aswell which is obviously dangerous.
Pugs were known to burst into flames but the media hype wasn't there like they have been dragging the Toyota recall out for the last few months.
BMW mini, another flaming inferno and the clio (IIRC) was another that would burst into flames.
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 6591

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:19 pm





Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:09 am

Ian Johnston wrote:
John Childs wrote:
John Cooper wrote:So that's it then - Morgan Cars :D

Ownership may have changed since I last looked, but the largest British car manufacturer used to be Manganese Bronze.

They make London taxis. :-?


sold to GEELY today

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 066364.ece

D'oh !!!
<<

User avatar

Premium Member
Premium Member

Posts: 11112

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:04 pm





Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:31 am

John Childs wrote:
Ian Johnston wrote:
John Childs wrote:
John Cooper wrote:So that's it then - Morgan Cars :D

Ownership may have changed since I last looked, but the largest British car manufacturer used to be Manganese Bronze.

They make London taxis. :-?


sold to GEELY today

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 066364.ece

D'oh !!!


Yet another example :o
https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=46089&start=0
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 833

Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 9:58 am





Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:57 am

John Cooper wrote:So that's it then - Morgan Cars :D


There's The Ariel Motor Company based in Somerset - truly British & very successful too.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Posts: 114

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm





Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:02 am

John Cooper wrote:
John Cooper wrote:So that's it then - Morgan Cars :D


There's The Ariel Motor Company based in Somerset - truly British & very successful too.


That's the name, I have been racking my brain for the name of that company. Definitely British design and manufacturer but they do use a honda engine which they modify
<<

User avatar

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Posts: 7021

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:02 pm





Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:42 am

Richard Martin wrote:
John Cooper wrote:
John Cooper wrote:So that's it then - Morgan Cars :D


There's The Ariel Motor Company based in Somerset - truly British & very successful too.


That's the name, I have been racking my brain for the name of that company. Definitely British design and manufacturer but they do use a honda engine which they modify


mind what you say Johns got one :D
<<

2 Star Contributor

Posts: 114

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm





Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:08 pm

Chris Wool wrote:
Richard Martin wrote:
John Cooper wrote:
John Cooper wrote:So that's it then - Morgan Cars :D


There's The Ariel Motor Company based in Somerset - truly British & very successful too.


That's the name, I have been racking my brain for the name of that company. Definitely British design and manufacturer but they do use a honda engine which they modify


mind what you say Johns got one :D


Great little fun cars I bet, the engine they use they do mod it a lot to get more out of it, and besides that there is nothing wrong with Honda engines, super reliable and well tuned.
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 833

Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 9:58 am





Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:05 pm

No mods to the engine - Hondata ECU and modified exhaust does the business :)

Selling soon, so if anyone fancies one, here's your chance.

John
<<

2 Star Contributor

Posts: 114

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm





Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:43 am

John Cooper wrote:No mods to the engine - Hondata ECU and modified exhaust does the business :)

Selling soon, so if anyone fancies one, here's your chance.

John


I thought they re-bored the engine and uprated a few parts on them?
<<

User avatar

5 Star Contributor

Posts: 833

Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 9:58 am





Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:26 am

Richard Martin wrote:
John Cooper wrote:No mods to the engine - Hondata ECU and modified exhaust does the business :)

Selling soon, so if anyone fancies one, here's your chance.

John


I thought they re-bored the engine and uprated a few parts on them?


Nope, standard Civic Type R with the option of a baffled sump which everyone goes for.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Posts: 114

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm





Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:56 am

my mistake, learn something new everyday lol.

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat



 

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

 

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation
UK Sign Group
Site Membership
Advertising
Videos
British Signs & Graphics Assoc.

 

Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Linkedin
Instagram
Pinterent

 

Who is Online

In total there are 74 users online ::
4 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests
[based on past 5 minutes]

Most users ever online was
370 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Registered users:
Conor Clarke, Simon Worrall

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Robert Lambie