Categories
  • TIMELINE

VAT Returns on line

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:49 am

VAT Returns on line

A few weeks ago we received a letter from HMC & Revenues informing us that in future all VAT submissions had to be done online. We were sent details of the procedures we had to go through in order to facilitate this arrangement. After going through all the rigmarole we have succesfully activated our account and this morning received a letter advising us that we have succesfully enrolled to submit VAT returns online and thanking us for enrolling for this service.

I don't know why they bothered thanking us as we had no choice - the original letter said all future returns had to be done on line. I'd rather not be instructed to do something against my will - so being thanked for doing it is a bit patronising!

Well it's Monday morning and I haven't had a good moan for a while :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:59 am

Re: VAT Returns on line

Phill wrote:
Well it's Monday morning and I haven't had a good moan for a while :-?

Just to put things in perspective for you and to show you that there is always somebody worse off than you.......It's LENT!!! :o :o :( (hot)
To quote the only man I know who can swear 'inside' a word 'Quit your comfuckingplaining!' :D :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Harry!
What have you given up....
For me...Smoking and beer!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:29 pm

matty goodwin wrote:Harry!
What have you given up....
For me...Smoking and beer!

Fun...Matty and the will to live! :D :D
Just wine and beer actually :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:40 pm

You had me panicking there Phil

Text taken from government website:

Who has to switch to online VAT Returns?
From 1 April 2010 you will have to submit your VAT Returns online and pay any VAT due electronically if either of the following applies:

you have an annual turnover of £100,000 or more (exclusive of VAT)
you register or should have registered for VAT on or after 1 April 2010 (regardless of your turnover)
If you fall into either of the groups mentioned above, you will have to file all your VAT Returns online (including nil and repayment returns) even if your turnover drops below £100,000 in the future.

Unfortunately my turnover doesn't reach 100K :oops: so i'll still be doing paper returns as that's the way I like to do them.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:08 pm

so phil would have been able to continue with paper returns if he hadnt released his book :D :D :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:55 pm

One question.

Who will be responsible if the return doesn't get through on time because of a problem with web access or, more likely, HMRCs site crashing due to volume of transactions?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:40 pm

One question.

Who will be responsible if the return doesn't get through on time because of a problem with web access or, more likely, HMRCs site crashing due to volume of transactions?

er - the same person whos responsible if the post office fail to deliver the mailed return variety :-? :roll:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:42 pm

I don't mind doing the postal returns, apart from writing the cheques, but like you say - I do worry if my envelope actual makes it there, at all.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 pm

John Harding wrote:er - the same person whos responsible if the post office fail to deliver the mailed return variety :-? :roll:

That's what I'm afraid of John.

We recently started paying wages by bank transfer, to save the staff having to deposit their cheques every Friday, and maybe get faster access to their money. Everything went fine until last Friday, when the bank site was so slow as to be unusable, and we had to resort to writing cheques. I suspect that it was because, also being the last day of the month, all the monthly paid employees got their stuff done on the same day, thereby slowing the system down to the point that it was worthless. I can see the same happening with VAT payments.

Now, my attitude is that if HMRC insist on us using a basically flawed system to pay them then, if it goes wrong, then it is their problem. I will NOT be held responsible for problems of their making.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:10 pm

JC, we went over to online transfer a few years back, Barclays can be a bit slow at times but its not too bad now. We pay friday too.

I am pleased we did, the staff dont have to put the chqs in the bank (which is daft anyway) and they are back from lunch in time.

There was a Pound a chq if i recall.

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat