• TIMELINE

Shocking

<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:56 pm

Shocking

Is it just me or does anyone else get electric shocks when working with forrex, foamalux, Acrylic etc.

Whenever I remove the protective film I find I build up a static charge and get a small shock the first time I touch something that's earthed. I also use a table saw to cut plastics and nearly always get a shock when hoovering up the dust produced afterwards. Is it just me or does anyone else suffer from the same problem? It was particularly bad for me today :(

Any suggestions for a cure? I was considering wearing an earth strap at all times (You know - like they used to have on cars) :oops:

Alternatively I wondered about asking Alison to always do the hoovering and peel off the protective films as it's a well known fact that women are better able to withstand pain than what men are!!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:06 pm

Hi Phill....
Yes we women are great at putting up with PAINS....
haha...in the butt that is. (men) :lol:
It could be just your own chemical make-up...
BUT
I would try rubbing the substrate down with a fabric softener sheet
before removing the mask. (do you have those over there?)
Like Bounce or Downy....might remove some of the static.
I have a static problem with coroplast...if painting it,
sometimes the static will literally pull the paint out of my brush!
love- JILL
<<

Nigel Fraser

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:48 pm

Phill,

You're not alone mate - I get regular shocks in my studio even without pulling the poly film off sheet materials !
I get some real whoppers, like 1/4" long sparks some days, the trouble is the most common thing I get them off is my plotter, don't know if that can do the circuits too much good :-?
I was told the weather affects the charge buildup and also what kind of material clothes you are wearing too.
I guess you could rig up a kind of human earth strap - it'd be ammusing to watch you try anyway :lol:

Nigel
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:02 pm

phil

i was told if your hair is very staticy then there is snow coming!! something to do with the atmosphere!! it's an old wifes tale but it must be true, most of britain is covered!! i have had electric shocks all week!!

Nik
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:49 pm

Phill, just go all Tibetan with your company uniform and wear no socks or shoes!!! That way you'll be permenantly earthed! :wink:

How bad is the shock though? Are we talking "Ooooo!" or "Owwwww!" or "ARGGGGGGGHHHH Ya wee bazza!"?? (Forgive my atrocious scottish accent :oops: )

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:23 pm

You think that’s bad.. I pulled a little bit of film from a bit of Perspex today with my left hand and the static shock made my tea bubble in its cup as I held it in my right hand..
Two of our guys grabbed either side of me as I shook, when they did my right arm went up and so did the guys arm on my rights.. I turned and the one on my lefts arm went down and his hips pushed forward.. While this was going on the radio was blaring some RUN-DMC!
If I could have pulled off a head spin ide jack in signs and take up break dancing… :o

Ok ok ill put my beers back in the fridge.. Getting carried away here..
Need something to settle my nerves for the server change TOMMORROW NIGHT! :lol: :lol:

I normaly wipe my bench down with water and the Perspex to reduce static
:-?
Last edited by Robert Lambie on Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Hilliard&Winn

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:26 pm

I Normally get shocks from foamex, mostly when its been cut and i pull it off the bed...the vac and the speed and what not just send a little tingle.
<<

Lee Attewell

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:13 am

Rob you've just cracked me up.
Phill what I do is to pull the cover off flat, and stop every foot or so , touch the board and start pulling again. Reduces it for me.

Sometimes while tinting, I peel the tint with one hand while holding the other side with my teeth, Man it really hurts getting a shock on your teeth. Makes me feel like Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon...NOT!
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:38 am

Robert Lambie wrote:You think thats bad......................... I normaly wipe my bench down with water and the Perspex to reduce static
:-?

Could you not have just told me that in the beggining Rob :lol:

Dewi - Today it was more of an "OW......... YA CAANT!!" which is about 25 percentage points more painful than "ARGGGGGGGHHHH Ya wee bazza!" but not quite as bad as " ...Jeeeeeeeeezo...."
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:44 am

leeroy! makes a change from you to me mate... :wink: i normaly split my sides when you mention cak... :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:
"OW......... YA CAANT!!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:wink:
<<

John Singh

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:48 am

My wife got a shock the other day when I picked up the Hoover!

I find spraying the foamex with soapy water mix and using a window cleaner's waddayacallit ('t' shaped cloth applicator) and afterwards a window squeegee reduces the static - Oh don't go too mad with the soap in the water else you won't get the vinyl to stick

Sorts it out like lightning - should see a striking difference - this is watt others say too

John
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:52 am

Phill, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

It's your magnetic personality. :D
<<

Steve Broughton

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:48 am

creativesign wrote:Phill,

I was told the weather affects the charge buildup and also what kind of material clothes you are wearing too.

Nige, I think his missus keeps buying those cheap nylon vests from Poundstretcher :lol: :lol: either that or its his crimpelene Farahs.

Crimpelene for those of you under 35 = cheap and nasty man made fibre from the 70's that school trooosers were made of. :lol:
<<

John Singh

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:51 pm

Thats strange Steve I was just talking to someone the other day about the time when everything was drip dry non iron nylon

I mean everything!!

You just couldn't get a plain cotton shirt anywhere

They were blinkin' horrible things those nylon shirts

John

Statit' Yeah thats all for now!
<<

coolinshot

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:55 pm

I now make the apprentice do it, I tell him that I have a dodgy ticker and that my hair stylist has advised me that my "do" can't take the strain any more. He, (Billy, the apprentice), never stirs my tea properly either so I from now on I will make sure he's holding a cuppa as he does it - thanks for the tip Rob. I find covering myself in lime jelly beneficial - it doesn't stop the electric shocks though.
Col
<<

Alan

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:40 pm

Hi Jill

Jillbeans wrote:I have a static problem with coroplast...if painting it,
sometimes the static will literally pull the paint out of my brush!

I’ve had this problem at times when lettering vehicles.
When the brush comes within half an inch of the surface, a discharge from the tip of the brush caries a cobweb of paint, like a continuous mini lightning strike, across to the surface. The problem is that it always chases off to the area you don’t intend painting. The only cure is to physically touch the vehicle to discharge myself.

Sound familiar!

Alan
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:08 am

Even though I was warned, whilst making a largish sign (3 x 8ftx4ft sheets of 5mm foamboard) I managed to electrocute myself at least 5 times, not to mention the great new hairstyle I have in with the bargain. Boyo boy am I glad its done.

Thing is, I remembered this thread and foolishly thought I'd place a long thin metal shelf against the wall wear I was working. "I'll earth myself every few minutes" I told myself. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Yeah right, and I saw Elvis in Asda last week! :-? Good thing is though, I'm perfecting my Scottish accent with all the "Why ya wee bazzzzaaa!!!!" :wink:

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Dave Bruce

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:59 am

Dewi wrote:and I saw Elvis in Asda last week!Cheers, Dewi

Are you sure that wasn't our Rob?

:lol:

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat