my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

How to remove vinyl adhesive??

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:09 pm

How to remove vinyl adhesive??

Hi all, my father bought a van and it had reflective on it along the bottom sides of it. I gave him a heat gun to help him remove the vinyl, it has left a load of the adhesive behind and its really hard to clean off. Is there any solution or whats the best stuff to use to remove it??

Thanks Nicholas
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:23 pm

try tar and glue remover also evostik do a glue remover that really good.plastic blade and loads of elbow grease then give your dad the bill.We just done a transit covered in reflective and once it was eventually done buffed it over with t cut it looked like new .but if you want a machine to do it look on jag they got a machine but it expensive so if it going to be a regular thing maybe worth buying :lol1:
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:37 pm

i get 3m adhesive remover from sign & digital in dublin and works a treat
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:46 pm

noel,
do they have a webiste heard of that stuff before but not been able to trace it that how ended up getting the evostik stuff
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:11 pm

thanks for the replies and ill give the tar and glue remover ago in the morning first and see what happens. Their website is www.signanddigital.com
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi - I am a Kleeneze Distributor as well as doing signs.... I use one of our own products called Sticky Stuff remover which works well... see your next catalogue through the door..
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:25 pm

GavinsGrafix wrote:Hi - I am a Kleeneze Distributor as well as doing signs.... I use one of our own products called Sticky Stuff remover which works well... see your next catalogue through the door..

High gavin, do the signs subsidies the Kleeneze business, or is it the other way around?

Welcome to the boards, maybe a little introduction would be nice, before floggin your products :D

Peter
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi Peter (Cant work out how to add smily face with guns!!! here) - I'm not trying to flog my product at all!! Whoever would need the product it would be from a distributor in their area.... not from me.. Kleeneze is my main source of income and signs are part time evening work mainly for my Kleneeze colleagues cars.... Only started a few months ago initially to do my cars and it's just snowballed from there.. Still learning the sign trade..

Cheers Gavin
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Gavin,
I do a lot of stickers for a local kleeneze guy, and I also use some of their fine products.

Thanks for the sticky stuff remover recommendation,
i will give it a go.

I bet you are making the stickers because you thought your local sign shop was charging to much?

Peter
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi Peter - I like to keep busy and being born and bred Rhodesian I am not scared of work.... i've always done all sorts to make money - self employed is the only way!! I rather do signs than watch junk on TV!! The sign business has just got bigger all the time...

Regards Gavin
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:10 pm

GavinsGrafix wrote:Hi Peter - I like to keep busy and being born and bred Rhodesian I am not scared of work.... i've always done all sorts to make money - self employed is the only way!! I rather do signs than watch junk on TV!! The sign business has just got bigger all the time...

Regards Gavin

Rhodesia :o Man I haven't heard it called that for a long time? My father was born there :P I'm from SA though :oops:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:26 am

I bought a box of 'stickystuff remover' and as good as it is it is a very messy product to use, and leaves a residue that vinyl won' adhere to.
Great for getting labels of jars and chewing gum etc. but would never use it on big vinyls.
3m all the way for me!
Sorry Gavin! :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:05 am

I find that adhesives vary from material to material, and that what works well on one type of vinyl isn't so good on another.

In my opinion it's best to have a range of weapons in your armoury, test them on each job, and use the one that works best.

One that hasn't been mentioned is petrol. No, I don't mean by spreading it on the van and putting a match to it, but it can sometimes dissolve an adhesive when all others have failed.

I suppose that will send the Health & Safety boys nuts. :-?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:21 am

Pass wind and the Health and Safety gestapo go nuts (but its ok if you've done a risk assessment and method statement first).
Alan D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:12 pm

John Childs wrote:I find that adhesives vary from material to material, and that what works well on one type of vinyl isn't so good on another.

In my opinion it's best to have a range of weapons in your armoury, test them on each job, and use the one that works best.

One that hasn't been mentioned is petrol. No, I don't mean by spreading it on the van and putting a match to it, but it can sometimes dissolve an adhesive when all others have failed.

I suppose that will send the Health & Safety boys nuts. :-?

I did a job recently a 40ft trailer with loads of reflective to remove, took 3 of us to get the reflective vinyl off and it was using loads of glue remover then one of the lads suggested petrol, I didn't want to do that but after another hour of removing glue I said ok give it a go, it stripped it off effortlessly and saved loads of time, but I only use it when all else fails.

Steve
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:36 pm

Steve McAdie wrote:but I only use it when all else fails.

So do we, but it's not that dangerous if done carefully.

Work on small areas at a time, and apply the petrol with a rag, rather than spray it on. NEVER do it indoors.

Finally, petrol vapour being heavier than air, never do it in a confined space, and certainly not over an inspection pit or anything like that. Just make sure that there is a good air flow around and under the vehicle and even a slight breeze will dissipate the vapour. For that reason we wouldn't do it on a still day either, and would prefer it not to be too hot and sunny.

Just don't ask me how I know all this. :D
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:24 pm

I use Allprint Supplies glue remover. Swear by it!

http://www.allprint.co.uk/ancilliary_pr ... spx?id=182
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Finally, petrol vapour being heavier than air, never do it in a confined space, and certainly not over an inspection pit or anything like that. Just make sure that there is a good air flow around and under the vehicle and even a slight breeze will dissipate the vapour. For that reason we wouldn't do it on a still day either, and would prefer it not to be too hot and sunny.

Makes the job so much eeeaassierr. will always uuussse it frommm nowww onnn. Mmmm Need a sleep...
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Rapid Remover, made by Rapid Tac.
Turns all the glue to snot then you scrape it off with a Lil Chizler.
Then clean again with the RR then clean with Rapid Prep then Rapid Tac.
Love....Jill
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Jillbeans wrote:Rapid Remover, made by Rapid Tac.
Turns all the glue to snot then you scrape it off with a Lil Chizler.
Then clean again with the RR then clean with Rapid Prep then Rapid Tac.
Love....Jill

http://www.allprint.co.uk/ancilliary_pr ... spx?id=182

Same one Jill :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:27 pm

http://www.rapidtac.com/
Glad it's available across the pond, it seems expensive but it works like a champ. It's worth it.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got the 3M adhesive remover and it worked wonders.

Nicholas
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:54 pm

I always use petrol removing adhesive it never fails
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:52 pm

upvc cleaner is fantastic also the smelly (nail varnish remover smell type)
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:59 pm

Kevin Parr wrote:upvc cleaner is fantastic also the smelly (nail varnish remover smell type)

I cleaned a mini I had with acetone (nail varnish remover) once, it was sound on the factory paint job but unknown to me a wing had been resprayed and the acetone took the gloss and a lot of the paint off. Never used it since.

Steve
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Just had the same glue residue problem, after reading this decided to nip down the garage & got a quids worth of petrol. Worked a treat so it did, thanks guys :D

Return to Vinyl