• TIMELINE

Snow snow thick thick snow

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:40 pm

Snow snow thick thick snow

What's the snow like where you are?

Where I live we've been snowed in since a couple of days before christmas. I can't remember ever having an extended period of so much snow here. I've lived in this house for 20 years and last night had burst pipes in the garage caused by the low temperatures. The long range forecasters say it's to go on for another 10 days - but hey - what do they know :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Phill we've has snow since a week before christmas. We've had snowfall almost every single day since although it is thawing now and a lot has cleared away. This morning we had heavy snowfall again, was on for about 90 minutes but now blue skies and sun. The ground outside in a lot of areas is still thick compacted snow and ice and hellish trying to walk on it.

Can't remember a time when we've had consistent snow showers for as many days as this. That's 2 weeks solid now. But I love it so I don't mind. :D
<<

UKSG - UK Sign Group Vinyl Media Supplier
UKSG - UK Sign Group Vinyl Media Supplier

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:16 pm

Well in Durham it sounds very similar to you chaps up there 2 full weeks of snow and the temps between 2 and -5 :roll: and it says we're in for another good covering this afternoon.

Sam's now hoping that his school will be closed on Monday which is every bit possible as the country roads around here are really treacherous at the mo and another few inches won't help.

It's all good fun and when the sun shines everywhere looks beautiful :lol1: :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:57 pm

It's pretty much gone here now, we didn't have anywhere near as much snow as you did further to the West which was good news for me. Had a go at snowing this morning for a while but it didn't really settle.

Marcella, I had trouble walking about over the last couple of weeks as well with all the snow and ice about and I've got 3 legs :lol1: :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: Snow snow thick thick snow

Phill wrote:What's the snow like where you are?

Wot snow? :D

We had quite a bit before Christmas but, apart from a few light flurries, most recently this morning, nothing to worry about. The stuff we had on the ground disappeared very soon after Christmas, and there's been nothing on the ground for a few days now.

Very cold, but dry here.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Tons of snow here!

How can I describe it?
You know that dusting the chef puts on sponge cakes!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:29 pm

We have about 4" out there right now and we did have a white Christmas.
Looks like we get a bit more snow every day.
As soon as some melts, more comes down.
We are in for a cold snap the next 2 weeks, today's high will only be 18°.
And I am stuck at home because my 4WD decided to go on vacation.
Love....Jill
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Jillbeans wrote:And I am stuck at home because my 4WD decided to go on vacation.

Where's the 4WD gone then Jill?

Somewhere warm? :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Nice backdrop there John and Jenny!
I don't know where the 4WD went but it's sure not in my truck.
(and that's parked at my son's work, it's only been inoperational about 2 weeks now)
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:54 pm

We had one day of snow before Christmas here in Bristol and its been clear since with some days raining and some days frosty. Did'nt get a white Christmas again....Doh.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:19 pm

Jillbeans wrote:Nice backdrop there John and Jenny!

I wondered if you would recognise it. :D

I would imagine that the road past your house could be a bit exciting with snow on the ground.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:31 pm

sunny day here

only before xmas a little bit

(south west devon)
<<

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:46 pm

As Marcella said, it has been snowing here nearly every day for the past fortnight...
I took this picture on my phone the FIRST day it snowed, got about 6 inches on an hour or so... this is at work and its much worse now. the snow is sold ice under the fresh snow fall from the past few days and is causing allot of bother with the work vans etc...
the main road pavements and all around are much the same but the roads are at least driveable. im just in from stirling and it is much the same there with fresh snow falling on my drive home.
This is constant 4 wheel drive and ide never get even near to my house without it. needless to say my van is parked up in my drive more or less useless!
Attachments
car-snow.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:As Marcella said, it has been snowing here nearly every day for the past fortnight...
I took this picture on my phone the FIRST day it snowed, got about 6 inches on an hour or so... this is at work and its much worse now. the snow is sold ice under the fresh snow fall from the past few days and is causing allot of bother with the work vans etc...
the main road pavements and all around are much the same but the roads are at least driveable. im just in from stirling and it is much the same there with fresh snow falling on my drive home.
This is constant 4 wheel drive and ide never get even near to my house without it. needless to say my van is parked up in my drive more or less useless!

nice q7 rob, number plate would be worth a bit to GOOGLE :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:02 pm

Interesting number plate Rob!

Is there a story to it or do we do a search?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:42 pm

Shame on you Rob for not having any signs on your car...you could at least have a sunstrip fitted with "Rob and Audrey" on it :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:04 pm

Its actually a bright red car

Can you see the vinyl overlaps :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:42 am

no snow here, just lots and lots of humidity, rain and electrical storms.

Its rained here just about everyday from Dec 23. Not monsoonal, but enough to make you appreciate the sunshine when it comes out. :-?

The grass is loving it though, and you can almost see it grow.

My kids don't go back to school until the end of this month, but they don't have airconditioning in most of their classes yet, so they are hoping this weather clears up before then.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:32 pm

This is the snow in our back garden. You can see more than a foot of snow on the picnic table and chairs. This has been like this for more than a fortnight now with no signs yet of a thaw. Unbelievably the front street is no better having not been cleared by the council. Only the main roads have been ploughed and cleared. I have never experienced this amount of snow for this length of time in the 20 years I have lived here.
Attachments
IMG_0935[1].JPG
snow.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:09 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:As Marcella said, it has been snowing here nearly every day for the past fortnight...

Rob
your constant 4 wheel drive is about as good as a chocolate teapot.
only two things make it easy
1 tyres
2 driver ability

A two wheel drive car with snow studs will out perform smooth tyres on a 4x4

Put some town and countries on your van, then you can do some work where other cant...

Peter
<<

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:00 am

Peter Normington wrote:

Rob
1 tyres
2 driver ability

Put some town and countries on your van, then you can do some work where other cant...

Peter

can't really reply properly peter, watching a program on TV mate...
i am FAR from an expert on this... but i find your reply complete Knickers. :lol1:
maybe you are looking/taking my post wrong, i don't know...but i know what i have posted to be correct from experience. so by all means shoot me down.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:08 am

Surely the point of 4wd is traction to all 4 wheels? With a conventional drive only two wheels are driven - yet because of the vehicles differential it only needs one wheel to lose traction for the vehicle to become stuck. Thus a conventional vehicle (albeit 2 wheel drive) is only in reality 1 wheel drive.

So a 4wd vehicle with it's limited slip differential system and drive to 4 wheels has 4 times the amount of traction surely?

Is your pickup 4wd Peter?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:40 am

I should have kept my big mouth shut :oops:

Started to snow again just after I made the last post and we had some more today with more forecast over the next week.

Oh well it could have been worse, at least we haven't had it as badly as Edinburgh and Glasgow.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:47 pm

-3 here in London this morning but no snow

Longest cold spell I've known for about 20 yrs

(Report from a 2 wheel driver)
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:29 pm

Just to clarify......

Four wheel drive does NOT improve grip.

Two or four, you only have the same amount of rubber in contact with the snow. When you are sliding sideways towards the hedge it makes no difference how many of them are driven, your car is at the mercy of Newton's Laws regarding inertia and friction.

Braking is the same. If your wheels have no grip with the road then it doesn't matter if you have ninety two of them, you are still destined to visit the scenery.

All four wheel drive does is to improve traction when taking off or accelerating, by doubling the amount of power you can put down on the road. Actually the effect is a bit more than double because both axles are driven, rather than one having to push the other through the snow.

Mr. Normington is absolutely correct with regard to tyres being a very important factor. Regardless of studs or chains, in snow or mud, the narrower the better, so that they bite down through the slippy stuff and hopefully find something they can grip on. A decent tread pattern helps as well.

I've tried explaining this to Jenny, who is still convinced that she can go round corners faster than anyone else because she has four wheel drive. I keep a tow rope in the back of my car and am awaiting the phone call.

All spoken as someone who had his Range Rover going sideways this morning and, other than steering into the skid, there was bugger all I could do about it. :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:51 pm

So when Audi introduced the Quatro in the 70's then went on to trounce the opposition 2wd rally cars it was just a figment of our imaginations was it? Or perhaps the Audi team simply had better tyres and drivers :lol1: :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:59 pm

No. It was because they could get off the line, and accelerate out of the corners, so much faster than anyone else.

Although having Hannu Mikkola, who was probably the best rally driver in the world at the time, couldn't have hurt any. :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:11 pm

See you and Peter are only half right. The braking ability of 4wd is no better than 2wd but the traction is undoubtably better.

So given that 2wd and 4wd vehicles have equal braking ability, but 4wd vehicles have superior traction over 2wd, it follows that 4wd is superior in the snow.

I win... :tongue: :tongue:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:18 pm

My lil old faithful Berlingo got me up and down the icy hill home for 2 weeks until it cleared.

Some of the 4x4's could of done it easy if the controlling muppets new what all the controls did.

4 wheel drive.........how do I select that....diff lock.........whats that do........ (:)

Well at least the Council boys have work at the hair pin at the bottom now :-?

Also many have road going tyres, only need to watch TOPGEAR last night to see Clarkson put that Audi in Park and the Handbrake on only to slide backwards down the grassy slope. Proving what John says is correct.

Some people cease to amaze me how they get licenses though.
I sat in the middle of the road with hazards on to let a Stobart lorry get up a slope on a B road only to watch 8 idiots drive past me. Poor s*d had to give up and pull in only to get stuck.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:20 pm

Phill wrote:See you and Peter are only half right. The braking ability of 4wd is no better than 2wd but the traction is undoubtably better.

Isn't that what I said above?

Phill wrote:but 4wd vehicles have superior traction over 2wd, it follows that 4wd is superior in the snow.

Half right.

They are only better when they have some grip. No grip = no good.

Which is where tyre choice come into it. You'll go further with a bit of grip with two wheel drive than no grip with four.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Skid row
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Skid row (disambiguation).
A skid row or skid road is a run-down or dilapidated urban area with a large, impoverished population. The term originally referred literally to a path along which workingmen skidded logs. Its current sense appears to have originated in the Pacific Northwest.[1] Examples are Pioneer Square, Seattle, Washington,[2] Skid Row in Los Angeles, San Francisco's Tenderloin District, and the Downtown Eastside in Vancouver.

This is the Skid Row thread isn't it?
<<

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:34 pm

I have not commented on driver ability, which tyres are best or anything like that…
I simply made a comment on being glad to now have a 4x4 as it gets me home in this extreme weather.

Peter then rubbished my comment by saying…

So on that comment alone, yes John, I believe Peter is wrong…

I had an Audi A4, each time it snowed over the past 2 years it was a nightmare to drive home. sometimes I didn’t get home by car, I had to park it up some random place and walk home.
This was the exact same with “any” of our vans ... in most cases the vans were much worse... as they couldn’t even get out our industrial estate.

2 Years on, I needed a bigger car due to my second child being born and the 2 door A4 not being practical. so I went for the Audi 4x4.
I think we have experienced the worst snow we have had in many years... as you see in the picture I posted the first day it snowed, it was bad!
Over the past fortnight of constant snowing, "I have not been stuck in the snow at all" I have even taken various members of staff too and from work due to their cars being snowed in...
our housing estate is littered with abandoned cars, as is the roads leading into it... I have not been stuck and simply drive home, right up the hills leading to it and into my drive way. No issues what so ever…

Same driver, same vehicles, more extreme snow conditions… The 4X4 wins hands down, no question…

yes I have to be careful when driving and yes I have to judge my breaking distance as anyone does in any type of vehicle. regardless... this was not part of my comment... nor was fancy tyres with knobs, wheel chains, big-foot pick-up trucks, snow-mobiles, tennis rackets tied to my feet, sheep skin coats etc etc its all irrelevant to me. :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

so... on your chocolate tea-pot comment Peter... Knickers! :lol1:

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:24 am

So Peter - own up - is your Pickup a 4x4 or not? :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:44 am

People round here are getting very frustrated in the snow!
Attachments
IMG00139.jpg
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:44 am

Peter Normington wrote:Rob
1 tyres
2 driver ability

Peter
Whilst chocolate teapot might not have been my choice of words I have to agree with Peter to a large extent. The perm. 4x4 and the Audi traction control combined with normal 'road' tyres gave you sufficient control and traction to do what you wanted.

I do agree that the A4 would be all but useless. FWD and wide road tyres do not make a good combo in the snow. An A4 Quattro would be better, effectively doubling the available traction for forward motion...but put a set of narrow studs on your old one...and it would be transformed.

However, having seen one of the bosses Q7 fail to make it up our snowy entrance - a part of it was possibly driver ability...the rest the inherent design and 'road' tyres.

A 'real' offroader with offroad tyres would bite in a haul itself along without the need for TC or snow modes. As would a two wheel drive car with studded tyres. Obviously driven by someone who understands that mashing the pedal into the carpet achieves nothing.

Snow / ice is unlike any other surface to drive on. The instant your wheels spin you 'skate'.

I've driven FWD, RWD and 4x4's and for general 'grip' the crappy, skinny tyres on say a FWD fiesta were in many ways superior to the silly wide ones on my A8 Quattro (which had an 'ESP' hissy fit in the damp, never mind the ice)...yet the most predictable drive has always been from an assortment of RWD cars... I always predict them to have very little traction if not driven with care yet the most controllable when it's lost.

Driver ability plays a major part as does tyre choice.
Wide tyres are just a bad idea in snow, narrow with deep treads are best, and having little or no idea about what's happening to the car during a slide or traction loss is just as bad.
I see so many em, 'fair weather' drivers mashing the pedals and flinging the wheel around and wondering why they slide about...or else they do 10mph!

To compare the rally 4x4's to FWD or RWD is irrelevant to road driving. We are not powersliding round hairpins on alpine passes at 80mph with narrow & studded tyres where the 4WD system affords not greater lateral grip, but greater forward traction from the STUDS biting into the ice to counter the sideways drift.

So i agree...without a doubt. two wheel drive vehicle fitted with a full set of winter tyres will out perform a 'road tyre' 4x4 softroader in the snow & ice.

Just a matter of grip.

Dave
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:45 am

I am still waiting for my 4WD to get fixed (by my son)
I can't drive with or without it, I am the world's worst driver.
Yesterday it was only 8°, we have had snow every day right at both the morning and the evening rush hour and yes the road in front of my house gets really bad.
<<

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:29 am

David Rogers wrote:The perm. 4x4 and the Audi traction control combined with normal 'road' tyres gave you sufficient control and traction to do what you wanted.

Yes, and that was to drive "me" around the central belt of Scotland in deep snow storms for the past fortnight. To make sure "Audrey & my two young kids" got home safe and sound anytime they ventured out. (oh yes, im chucking in a women driver into the equation now :wink:) take work staff too and from work... and it has done all that 100% perfectly, whilst most are spinning away at the kerb side, whilst others are out pushing with numb fingers and others simply giving up and walking home... i couldnt ask more of it.

I appreciate there are far better options... but i couldn't give a...
I don't live on a farm, i don't want to drive off-road, I don't want special tyre's or expert driving tuition... :lol1:
I just want a nice car that is more than capable of doing its job in the Sun, Rain or Snow... and as far as i am concerned, it does all...

man-o-man am i bored of this thread now. :agree:

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 am

Give me a Audi 4x4 any day. Snow or no snow! :cool:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:28 am

Phill wrote:So Peter - own up - is your Pickup a 4x4 or not? :lol1:

Yes it is Phil and so is my chocolate teapot :wink:

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:33 am

Didn't you realise you could've saved a fortune by buying some studded tyres and getting Lynn to drive instead :lol1: Image
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:26 am

A lot of driver error nowadays is down to the bad way people are taught. I have three teenagers that drive and they are not taught to slow down through the gears any more, they just stop in fourth. I have spoken to several instructors and they say this is the way it must be done now. So I say thats fine but what happens when its icy !.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:17 pm

Shane Drew wrote:Give me a Audi 4x4 any day. Snow or no snow! :cool:

me too!

Guess what Rob is saying is that it worked for him
If it worked, it worked

On a slightly different note but just to illustrate the point
We had two Corgi Gas Engineers on separate occasions telling me it was not possible to blend hot and cold water in the bath tub using an ordinary mixer with combination boiler presently fitted. According to them it was unworkable, impossible!

But the fact was that for ten years we had been doing exactly what they said was impossible to achieve. We had been enjoying hot and cold blending. It was only when this started to falter that we called them in and of course the reason now was that the boiler had had its day.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:49 pm

Martin Oxenham wrote:A lot of driver error nowadays is down to the bad way people are taught. I have three teenagers that drive and they are not taught to slow down through the gears any more, they just stop in fourth. I have spoken to several instructors and they say this is the way it must be done now. So I say thats fine but what happens when its icy !.

I believe the theory being that "brakes are cheaper than gearboxes" and "you maintain full control of the vehicle" (both hands on wheel)

Both of which beggar belief!

If you mention 'engine braking' you are met with blank looks. I can understand why it's not taught initially. The potential for an oh-ooops such as dropping it into second from fifth at 60 and pinging the contents of the engine all over the road (lost two Kangoos here that way with apparently experience drivers)...but surely when competent enough to go for your test these 'advanced' :roll: skills can be introduced.

Cadence braking also went the way of the dodo and a large proportion of the driving public don't actually understand how to use ABS to its full potential instead just reporting "oh, the pedal started going weird just before I slid straight into the other car" or yanking on the handbrake to slow down faster. "locking up slows you quicker" - had a heated debate with an ex-employee who slid into two cars after yanking on the handbrake to 'stop quicker' in the work vehicle.

So far - none of the drivers here have had self induced accidents in the snow...however, one door caved in and another lost a wing mirror due to others sliding into their parked vans.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:39 pm

David Rogers wrote: had a heated debate with an ex-employee who slid into two cars after yanking on the handbrake to 'stop quicker' in the work vehicle.

I hope you told him next time to deploy the "emergency Bat Parachute" and if that failed the "emergency Bat Anchor" :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Don't know how to embed but-

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6_ghixVN78[/youtube]
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:53 pm

That first one looked a bit like an Audi. *rofl*
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:10 pm

John Childs wrote:That first one looked a bit like an Audi. *rofl*

2 wheel or 4?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:08 am

:o so they see the previous car go out of control, bouncing off of all the parked cars and think 'that looks like fun' :roll:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:16 am

Not their fault... it's all due to global warming!
cheers Mike
PS I wouldn't have a clue what it's like to travel in those conditions.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:34 am

Thank god for global warming. Other wise we would be snowed in.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 am

John, we have an 'on demand' boiler recently fitted, we have to mix for the shower and its mainly hot only on the shower tap, but in weather like this the boiler has to warm water from -4 in the pipes from outside. It states in the manual that it wont do it well also.

So your boilers fine
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:50 am

<<

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:03 am

don't worry folks, radio report just in...

the government is buying your OLD tyres from you and issuing rubber studded tyres to everyone, new vehicles in the UK will now come with these as standard.
they recon this will clear the roads in no time, cut down on massive insurance claims, deaths, road gritting costs and more... they also recon we will see an immediate increase in the amount of folk getting back to work.

BMW, Porche & Audi officials are already jumping on the bandwagon, one statement was...
"we do not know why we did not think of this inexpensive, superior option. there for, as of summer 2010 we have decide to stop production lines of all 4x4's because lets face it, in comparison, they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot."

:wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:15 am

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: cant see the teapot melting yet :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:16 am

Clearly - he's gotten to you :lol1: :lol1:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:36 am

I would love to have 4 wheel drive on any sort of tyre, got to be better than my rear wheel drive Lexus that keeps getting stuck on the flat.

Russell.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:49 am

well, just drove from Garmouth near Fochabers in Scotland to North Wales yesterday. Snow and ice covered roads all the way down and through Aviemore to the A9, absolutely no probs. Drove the rest in amazing sunshine, then hit all the crap drivers round St Helens and Chester thanks to the M6 being closed. Really feel for the truckers because of all the pathetic drivers crawling along at 5mph... (hot)
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Phill wrote:Clearly - he's gotten to you :lol1: :lol1:

thought the same thing.... :lol1: :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:20 pm

So Robert, what car do you think you will be buying now you know that your 4x4 won't do the job you bought it for :lol1: :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:17 pm

Martin wrote:So Robert, what car do you think you will be buying now you know that your 4x4 won't do the job you bought it for :lol1: :lol1:

rob needs to learn to drive first :roll:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:55 pm

4 wheel drive!!?
don't bother with all that get one of these..
I must point out for safety reasons before taking to the road its best to clear snow from windscreen.
lol

Ade
Attachments
van.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:59 pm

What you mean you just bolt a big squeegie to the front bumper?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:02 pm

The latest offering from AUDI
Attachments
4x4.jpg
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Gareth Lewis wrote:What you mean you just bolt a big squeegie to the front bumper?

how did you guess!!??
you got 2 or 4 wheel drive? you need one of these then.
you want to me to pop up and clear your drive with my very big squeegee?

Ade
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:18 pm

I need a large print laminating so let me know when your over this way and I'll lay it out on the road for you to drive over.....
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:33 pm

My truck oughta be done tomorrow.
It was the 4WD ummm audi- aclim- auditor or whatever it's called.
That chocolate car is making me salivate.
<<

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Phill wrote:Clearly - he's gotten to you :lol1: :lol1:

:lol1: yep, his comment got to me... :lol1:

I am far from a car expert, I am far from someone that's actually "into cars" as such...
but i do find it hard to digest silly comments made in reply to "one sentence/comment i made" about a car that i drive daily, a car that i have driven for the past fortnight in terrible snow conditions perfectly well, whilst others around me are stuck, digging themselves out or walking off into the night frozen. yet my comment is rubbished off?

Dave, love the picture... :lol1:
I guess you must have been snowed in at work today mate to have had the time on your hands. :wink:

anyway,there are tons of videos on youtube... but this one is the most "amateurish" one i could find based on the same car... the difference is, this is being driven by some guys wife in deep snow.
NO rally Driving, NO muddy farmland, No mountain climbs... just a guys wife driving her car for the first time in similar weather conditions to what the UK has endured. in fact the roads are much better than what shes driving in in this video...

but hey-ho... here is that useless chocolate teapot struggling to move?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSiAiHSgrrA[/youtube]

Me... annoyed??? .... never! :oops: :lol1:

Attachments
car-snow.jpg
Same Audi Q5 Quattro as the car as in video.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:07 pm

who cares what it drives like Rob.....it looks the part :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:32 pm

Peter Normington wrote:

Rob
1 tyres
2 driver ability

Peter

Rob I did not rubbish your comments, and apologise if you think I did.
I was talking about cars and how they behave in snow.
yes a 4x4 will have an advantage, but it is also down to tyres and driver ability, i would think your ability has kept you moving more than the 4x4 drive on your car.
Chocolate teapot may have been the wrong choice of words, but I have seen many idiots in 4 x 4's recently, believing they can drive at high speeds in adverse conditions and are invincible. (not you I must add)
but at least this thread has opened a discussion on how to drive in snow,
sorry i got to you.

:-?

Peter

PS what I said about putting some good tyres on your van still stands, you could get it out and about, and earning
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:44 pm

and have a look at this,
4 x 4 is not always the answer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmLJ19Ei ... re=related

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:47 pm

David Rogers wrote:The latest offering from AUDI

A chocolate teapot in these conditions with 'ice cold tea'
Feasible!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:51 pm

Back in the seventies a friend of mine had a MK1 Escort with stanard wheels and tyres. when it snowed we went out in the country and no matter what you did it would not get stuck and was incredible to control.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:52 pm

All I can say for the UK is SOCKS.......... http://www.activeoutdoors.info/activeoutdoors/Article91.html

Ideal for the UK, easy to fit and will get most 2 wheel drive cars out of trouble. Most people who buy a 4x4 havent a clue how most of it works, and therefore cant use it to its full capability. Most top spec vehicls have traction control, anti skid, ABS and auto diff locks that kick in as required. Was driving my 4x4, a humble Honda CRV yesterday on sheet ice through St Helens and beyond and at low speeds, ABS can also fail as you can easily confuse the system into thinking the vehicle is stationary even though you are still sliding. Bring on cadence braking!!!

The only way to to drive safely in snow and ice is get some training on a skid pan, or in the actual conditions where you can safely loose control and learn how it feels. I have been fortunate to have done both skid pan and frozen lake training, driven in Canada, Germany and Scandinavia in some pretty bad conditions..

Get a few cones out and start sliding round those empty carparks............woohoo :lol1:
Last edited by Graeme Harrold on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:52 pm

As somebody who never sees snow and has never driven on it is the problem the snow or is it the ice? can you have 1 without the other?
You do need 4wd to get to our place several river crossings through water and need the extra height.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Snow chains.....excellent, but given the choices in the UK, socks are the way ahead......
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:48 pm

snow stopped play today so me and keri decided to build a snowman modeled on us...think its a good likeness, what do you think????

:D
Attachments
17862_268105442931_727612931_4584375_8343461_n.jpg
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Michael Potter wrote:As somebody who never sees snow and has never driven on it is the problem the snow or is it the ice? can you have 1 without the other?
You do need 4wd to get to our place several river crossings through water and need the extra height.

Both have their perils and are treated differently
Some snow turns to slush and allows a certain amount of grip
Ice is less forgiving
Black ice is treacherous as you can't really see it-the road looks normal or just wet
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:24 am

Roy Roffey wrote:snow stopped play today so me and keri decided to build a snowman modeled on us...think its a good likeness, what do you think????

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:22 pm

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: Brilliant Roy!!!!!!!!!

I just went down into the unit downstairs from my wee office that I use as a workshop, it's so cold in there that the water in the toilet bowl and cistern has frozen solid! :o :o :o :o
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:45 pm

Marcella wrote: it's so cold in there that the water in the toilet bowl and cistern has frozen solid! :o :o :o :o

100% returns then? :D
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:02 pm

Our park is a no go area when it snows, this was taken today - last snow fall was Friday.. (of any significance anyway).

Finally got in without having to blag a lift in a 4x4!

Oo
Attachments
snowedout.jpg
<<

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:53 pm

Seeing as you have resurfaced this thread from a few days ago Owen... :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Peter Normington wrote:and have a look at this,
4 x 4 is not always the answer
Peter

that car has steel chains around its wheels, a sit on lawnmower with steel chains would pull you through the snow. :lol1: not an option for town or city driving, never mind motorways etc you can also be charged for using them on tarmac roads if the snow isnt deep enough.

I thought i would post this link of someone with a bit more Knowledge than most on Cars. I dont think i heard him mention chocolate teapot once though? :D

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/x-type-in-snow

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:56 pm

Boy he sure is traveling some in that car
( Dare I say it? 4 wheel)
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:59 pm

Clarkson is an entertainer, and in the pocket of whoever supplies his free cars. He is the last person I would class as an expert!

over 20 years ago I drove my jaguar xj6 up Muswell Hill (1 in 10)in deep snow, and past range rovers that had failed, You are still missing the point, a good driver does not need a 4x4 to keep moving,
your car does it for you, fine. lets as you said earlier, agree to differ, and move on.

xxx

Peter
<<

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:17 am

Peter Normington wrote:Clarkson is an entertainer, and in the pocket of whoever supplies his free cars. He is the last person I would class as an expert!

Well i would think he is certainly more of an expert than any of us lot... :lol1:

Was that lady who had her first go in the deep snow an expert, an experienced snow driver etc nop, it states its her first time driving the same car in deep snow and performing perfectly well.

anyway, yes, we will have to agree to disagree.
i think the couple of videos i have now posted speak for themselves anyway. :wink:

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am

Y'see the difference is Peter is a poncy Southerner that has never experienced real snow. Whereas Rob is a rough and tough Jock descended from Celtic stock that has triumphed over the trials and tribulations of lowland winters.

In Jockland we experience real snow - poncy XJ6's with their autotransmisions, rear wheel drive, and 60 profile tyres wouldn't last ten minutes in the grime and grit of a Glasgow winter.

I put it to you Peter, that your recollections of snow in Muswell Hill over 20 years ago amounted to little more than a bit of sleet. The Landrovers were probably being driven by effeminate photographers and hairdressers that had neglected to engage the four wheel drive system on their expensive trophy pose-mobiles. Thus allowing you (as a more experienced driver and used car salesman) to sail past the buggers in your gas guzzling americana mobile.

In wild and wintry Jockland - only a 4x4 can triumph over the present climatic conditions that exceed even those currently experienced at the south pole. :-? :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:00 am

Phill wrote:Y'see the difference is Peter is a poncy Southerner that has never experienced real snow. Whereas Rob is a rough and tough Jock descended from Celtic stock that has triumphed over the trials and tribulations of lowland winters.

In Jockland we experience real snow - poncy XJ6's with their autotransmisions, rear wheel drive, and 60 profile tyres wouldn't last ten minutes in the grime and grit of a Glasgow winter.

I put it to you Peter, that your recollections of snow in Muswell Hill over 20 years ago amounted to little more than a bit of sleet. The Landrovers were probably being driven by effeminate photographers and hairdressers that had neglected to engage the four wheel drive system on their expensive trophy pose-mobiles. Thus allowing you (as a more experienced driver and used car salesman) to sail past the buggers in your gas guzzling americana mobile.

In wild and wintry Jockland - only a 4x4 can triumph over the present climatic conditions that exceed even those currently experienced at the south pole. :-? :wink:

He's got a point :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:46 am

Phill wrote:Whereas Rob is a rough and tough Jock

That's where you blew it Phill.

I was believing you up until that point. :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:02 am

There was a very interesting article on the local news a few days ago about a local 4x4 support group for the local community, all volunteers with 4x4s that help out people getting cut off in the countryside. The guy they were on patrol with had an Audi 4x4 estate and it went everywhere very easily it seemed. While they were filming an impatient ignorant driver in a Range Rover overtook them in this very snowy country lane, but as he got in front he veered from side to side and he lost control and ended up in the drift stuck. Now I would have gone by laughing and waved but they stopped and towed him out with the Audi.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:36 pm

Phill wrote:Y'see the difference is Peter is a poncy Southerner that has never experienced real snow. Whereas Rob is a rough and tough Jock descended from Celtic stock that has triumphed over the trials and tribulations of lowland winters.

You have a natural talent Phill.... you should write a book.... Oh thats right, you have :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:05 pm

LMAO at these 'experts' in 4WD.

For the record;

Scotland snow > England snow

We get nothing down here compared to the Jocks, so I tend to listen to them regarding snow :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Gwaredd Steele wrote:We get nothing down here compared to the Jocks, so I tend to listen to them regarding snow :lol1:

Maybe.

but I'd never admit it. :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:27 pm

very witty Phill! lol

Well my wee old trusty 4x4 has done the job for me lately in this weather. I've watched cars slip and slide their way around and I can easily get to wherever I've wanted to go!
<<

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:34 pm

Gwaredd Steele wrote:LMAO at these 'experts' in 4WD.

Sorry, I don't follow Gwaredd please elaborate mate? :D

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Gwaredd Steele wrote:
We get nothing down here compared to the Jocks, so I tend to listen to them regarding snow :lol1:

Thats not actually strictly true Gwaredd Scotland doesnt get much snow at all as most towns are coastal and therefore have relatively 'warm' sea breezes so it never settles. the mountains and high roads get it and the main roads up into the highlands do to to a degree. Where we are up on the west coast in the hebrides we also have the gulf stream so even frost is rare! obviously this winter is an exception but still England has had it worse snow wise and for the cold.

Nigel
<<

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:42 pm

think you've got the wrong Scotland there Nigel... :-? :lol1:
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:03 am

Since we are talking 4wd and snow I thought these clips are rather interesting!!

http://video.mpora.com/watch/4T8GxAYkl/

http://video.mpora.com/watch/NGWGdUk5v/hd/
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:41 am

Robert Lambie wrote:Seeing as you have resurfaced this thread from a few days ago Owen... :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

glad to be of assistance :)

Oo
<<

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:45 am

our roads became pretty clear yesterday Owen, but pavements, back roads etc all still the same. woke this morning to find a new blanket of snow and the roads back to white! its still snowing just now....

thank goodness for my chocolate tea-pot. :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:59 am

roads mostly clear this morning, with just rain now, just the 'estate' roads still snowy, main roads all clear.

took the kids out with the dogs for a long walk yesterday, spotted a lonely looking snowman in a field all on his own so, while the kids were "not needing any help" in building their own snowman, i set about making him some company... he looks happy about it too......

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:06 pm

Where we are is a right pain, the police closed a small hill this morning and sent the local traffic around a small single track road with another hill on it which was worse than the one they closed.

Seems like Gloucestershire completely forgot about us.

Both roads completely white - compacted snow etc.

I'm in my trusty 2 x 4 Galaxy which I can assure you isn't the best for the snow and for definite I won't be recommending it over an Audi (keeping the peace)

Muppets!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:50 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:think you've got the wrong Scotland there Nigel... :-? :lol1:

I'm talking relative here Rob - ie don't think Scotland gets snow as bad as England? not saying that all areas of Scotland are the same obviously high ground but generally I cant see it does?.

Living in the Hebrides we are reliant on the roads being snow free to get food and mail and I cant remember in the 25 years I have lived here one day without mail, bread or milk due to snow. I have personally never had a problem traveling anywhere in Scotland due to snow either and I travel about quite a bit! I know weatherwise in the Hebrides we are luckier than most but the sea here doesn't really go below 10 degrees so acts as a radiato, obviously a lot lot warmer than the land! We generally don't get much frost! But the roads from Glasgow and Edinburgh are rarely affected to the degree it cuts our supply of anything for more than a few hours?

However my memories of snow and cold in England are real problems with snow and cold diesel and petrol freezing around 30 years ago. My brothers snot freezing in his nose and having real problems! My hot water bottle as a kid being frozen solid in the mornings. Being snowed out and in though we lived in the midlands the furthest possible from the sea in England - being close the sea ensure warmer temperates.

Well I'm sure we all have different experiences but I drove up from Glasgow the week before last with little issue.

Nige
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:45 am

Nigel, the climate has changed a bit in the last 30 years :lol1: I can remember snow and cold winters when I was a kid growing up in Surrey but they haven't had weather like that for many many years now. Most of my family live in Surrey so I speak to them a lot ond from what I can gather the weather is far colder and wetter up here than it is down there and although we might not get a lot of winters like this one with lots of snow that stays for weeks we generally get more than the south of England but I can't comment on the midlands.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:54 pm

Temperatures do vary in Britain
I remember just a few years ago that we had a hose pipe ban as early as March which lasted way into the next winter due to lack of rainfall
the reservoirs were empty yet when our friends in Manchester took us out for a spin near the moors we noted how the reservoirs were overflowing
<<

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Nigel, i was just joking mate... :lol1:
but i think the general view on weather by most is that Scotland's weather is worse than that south the border.
If i am wrong, then not a problem... i can live with that. just not getting into another pointless chocolate teapot thread. at least that one i knew i was right on. :wink: :lol1:

anyway...
i often go on signage tours around the UK, we joke that we know when we have crossed the border because the weather changes so dramatically...
it was same when i went on family trips to the likes of Blackpool etc... goes for nothing i guess... :roll:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:13 pm

We wouldn't have had the first Chocolate Teapot debate if you hadn't started going on about how much better your 4 x 4 was compared to any other vehicle Robert :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:24 pm

My first memories of snow, were when I was about 4 years old in Blackpool.
I remember it being very deep, at least up to my waist (I was probably about as tall as Rob then) :D
I remember having to struggle through the snow drifts to the corner shop to buy my dad his 5 woodbine, I think it took me a couple of days.

Peter
<<

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:37 pm

Peter Normington wrote:I remember having to struggle through the snow drifts to the corner shop to buy my dad his 5 woodbine.

you were only asked to go because your dad couldn't get his car out the drive for the snow. :wink: :lol1: :lol1:

So are you originally from Blackpool Peter?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:23 pm

Peter Normington wrote:My first memories of snow, were when I was about 4 years old in Blackpool.

Ahhhh the good old days before that bloody tower!

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:
Peter Normington wrote:I remember having to struggle through the snow drifts to the corner shop to buy my dad his 5 woodbine.

you were only asked to go because your dad couldn't get his car out the drive for the snow. :wink: :lol1: :lol1:

No mate
I am a Yorkshire man
and born in Holmefirth, I was the first of the summer wine!

But I grew up in Blackpool, so I know all about the Glasgow fortnights and what you jocks got up to!

Peter
<<

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:34 pm

Peter Normington wrote:But I grew up in Blackpool, so I know all about the Glasgow fortnights and what you jocks got up to!

:lol1: well lets leave it at that! :lol1:
yeh, many a time as a kid with my family and reletives, then late teens...

i remember once waking up in a tram shelter on blackpool prom frozen one morning at about 6am because i refused to get in a car driven by one of my mates. we couldnt get a taxi back to the hotel from a club, so he decided to drive. but he was well drunk... needless to say, him and the others got in the car and i walked it. but drunk myself, i forgot where the hell we were staying, doh! :oops: :lol1: :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:45 pm

Peter Normington wrote:
Robert Lambie wrote:

No mate
I am a Yorkshire man

But I grew up in Blackpool, so I know all about the Glasgow fortnights and what you jocks got up to!

Peter

How old were Peter when u left blackpool
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:i remember once waking up in a tram shelter on blackpool prom frozen one morning at about 6am

See. told you it was cold in England! (spin)
<<

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:11 pm

yeah it was freezing mate, but not as bad as Scotland, like peter says, Glasgow holidays, when we get any here we all head south for the good weather. :lol1: :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:14 pm

Peter Normington wrote:So are you originally from Blackpool Peter?

Somebody asked me the other day 'have you lived in Clones all your life'...I answered 'Not yet'....I think it was the right answer :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:yeah it was freezing mate, but not as bad as Scotland, like peter says, Glasgow holidays, when we get any here we all head south for the good weather. :lol1: :lol1:

Glasgow fortnight was in August,
so it must have been bad in Scotland then..

Peter
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:45 pm

Nigel Hindley wrote:
Peter Normington wrote:
Robert Lambie wrote:

No mate
I am a Yorkshire man

Peter

I was 23ish
moved to Oman

Peter
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:40 am

Peter Normington wrote:
Nigel Hindley wrote:
Peter Normington wrote:
Robert Lambie wrote:

No mate
I am a Yorkshire man

Peter

I was 23ish
moved to Oman

Peter

were you selling rollers before you left?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:54 am

Our snow all disappeared yesterday.

Lashing it down with rain now. :(
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:01 pm

well it coming down again about one inch now.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Had snow all gone now :( got to say takes me back! (no comments please) not seen snow like this for years.
All have to say its nice that the kids have seen this :D
tracey
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:30 pm

As of this morning there is two feet of snow in my driveway, there is a state of emergency declared, and I have seen smowmobiles on the state highway in front of my house.
We were told by the weather forecasters to expect 6-10" of snow but the storm stalled over this area. There is to be 3-5" more by the end of the day, it is the biggest snow on record ever in February and the 4th largest snow on record here.
(hot)
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:01 pm

It sounds pretty bad Jill
http://news.aol.co.uk/blizzard-paralyse ... 0935663525

Yet only yesterday the BBC news was telling us that (worldwide) January was the hottest January month on record.

Personally - I don't believe the met office's statistic's - They say you can prove anything with statistics. :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:34 pm

Snow has finally stopped and we have about 28".
It took my boys 7 hours to shovel out the driveway.
Here's a local news story:
http://kdka.com/local/Allegheney.County ... 74857.html
(if you go to their main site there are more stories)
The governor has declared a disaster, the bishop has decreed that Catholics are not obligated to go to Mass, the Pittsburgh airport is closed.
But the beer distributor and State stores are still open.
The road outside my house is finally just wet.
Attachments
wheelie.jpg
fence.jpg
5am
back1.jpg
5am
back2.jpg
9am
back3.jpg
noon
jussuke.jpg
sukey.jpg
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:39 pm

Stay inside and keep warm Jilly.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:47 pm

And here we were thinking we had problems with the snow!

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:13 am

We'll get it in about a weeks time Peter. Have you never noticed we get Americas weather about a week later :-?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:43 am

Phill wrote:We'll get it in about a weeks time Peter. Have you never noticed we get Americas weather about a week later :-?

That's exactly what Jenny said earlier this evening.

Must be right then. :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:56 am

Personally - I don't believe the met office's statistic's - They say you can prove anything with statistics. :-?

90% Of all people surveyed said that.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:47 am

Here's a pile of snow for ya. This is taken behind our shop...
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:45 am

According to my weather service, Jill is currently enjoying a temperature of -14C (7F), and forecast to drop a bit more yet.

What sort of range do you get in your part of the world Duncan?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:58 am

aw, Suke would disappear in that snow Jill! :o

stay cosy!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:18 pm

Here are two more pix. We ventured out to the grocery store today.
It was almost picked clean due to the blizzard and the Super Bowl.
This morning the sky was full of frozen fog which misted the trees with frost.
4-8" more snow is expected by Wednesday and almost 99% of the area schools are closed. The parking lots look like what Duncan posted.
:)
Attachments
snow.jpg
snow2.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 pm

woke up this morning - about 8 inches of snow - two meetings canceled - I cant get out of my road and if I could it wouldn't be worth it, absolute chaos apparently :o 160 schools closed in the county so lots of happy kids :D

John
Attachments
002.JPG
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Heard on the news that the access road to the Channel Tunnel is blocked.

That's a bit of a bugger because I am booked to go through it on Sunday. Hope it's clear by then.

Eight inches of snow won't stop me, but abandoned cars in the way will. :(
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:30 pm

John im 5 mins from tunnel you and your friends are welcome to hang out here if your delayed

John :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:34 pm

John Harding wrote:John im 5 mins from tunnel you and your friends are welcome to hang out here if your delayed

Oh, excellent, I didn't realise that you were so close.

It's only a quick R&P trip. Out Sunday lunchtime, and return Monday afternoon. We can camp out at your gaff for the duration. :P
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:39 pm

We can camp out at your gaff for the duration.

and pretend youve been abroad - cunning you roughy toughy bikers :D
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Yeah, so ruffty tuffty that we're going on four wheels.

It's that Peter Mindham's fault. He made us do it. :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:49 pm

We got about 6" more yesterday.
Sorry folks I had to cancel the picnic.
Attachments
2-4.jpg
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:49 pm

not going anywhere today apart from an hours walk to the doctors......
it is just beautiful tho.....hope to get pics from our walk.
these pics were taken at about 9 this morning...it has been snowing ever since and there must be about 11 inches now......
I am about 15 mins from John Hardings gaff...
Attachments
Graphic3.jpg
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:29 pm

John Do you have to book to go through the tunnel?
Love the photos of all the snow, but I guess when you are trying to just live your normal life it would be a real pain in the rear end.
cheers Mike
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi Michael

no you can turn up and go, but at times like now theres always a backlog and bookings do take priority.

Fortunately the snow hasnt afffected me too badly but it does mean a bit of rearranging but hey thats life no great drama.

John :D

Oh and if you didnt know - you cannot drive through the tunnel its a train service where you go as rail passenger or in car (you can get out and walk about) it takes about 35 mins
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 pm

John thanks for that.
I had no idea it was a train service :oops: I thought they had trains and cars all going through a big tunnel.
cheers Mike
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 pm

Cheryl if it weren't for the cars parked on the wrong side of the street that looks like Pittsburgh.
I finally drove out in our winter wonderland today.
It's bizarre seeing all that snow, the further south the more there is.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:54 pm

Michael Potter wrote:John thanks for that.
I had no idea it was a train service :oops: I thought they had trains and cars all going through a big tunnel.
cheers Mike

Mike,
are you planning a visit?
The Chanel tunnel is a rail tunnel, but 4 types of train use it,
passenger high speed, normal freight trains, a shuttle service for trucks, and a shuttle service for cars and coaches.

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:21 pm

It's a little known fact that before the channel tunnel was built plans were well underway to build a Channel bridge instead. This would have been a more economical and viable solution until somebody realised that building a bridge would have meant that a large proportion of the ships that use the channel as a shipping lane would have had to detour around the British Isles when sailing southwards from Western Europe . This would have wrecked the economies of Russia, Denmark, Germany , Norway, Sweden, Poland, Belarus et al

..not a lot of people know that Image
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:58 pm

Well the bridge between Denmark and Sweden doesn't seem to have had that effect. and most of the shipping that uses the Chanel to access most of the countries you mention also use that route.
cant see why it would have affected shipping in the Chanel?
a tunnel was the most economical solution given the "blue marl" substate under the Chanel, that's what all the evidence tells us.

but perhaps we were being fed bullsh1t?

Peter
Last edited by Peter Normington on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:00 am

I would probably hold my breath the whole trip, not sure if I could do that.
There is a rail tunnel being built under the river in downtown Pittsburgh.
My friend called from about 15 miles south, there is 28" of snow on his roof and he will have to get up there and shovel it off.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:03 am

Y'see the thing is - because of the shallow waters in the channel and the substrata - a tall bridge couldn't be built - it was going to have to be built on stilts and would have been only about 50 feet or so above see level - hence the problem wiv shipping :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:10 am

Phill wrote:Y'see the thing is - because of the shallow waters in the channel and the substrata - a tall bridge couldn't be built - it was going to have to be built on stilts and would have been only about 50 feet or so above see level - hence the problem wiv shipping :-?

well thats what I said diddle I?
the bridge was not a viable solution, I do believe that the first attempt to build a tunnel was during the 18th century,

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:15 am

:wink: :lol1: :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:30 am

More snow here.

We had a load on Thursday, which was thawing nicely up until yesterday, but then another load overnight.

I think I'll find something to do inside today. Maybe go into the garage and clean a bike 'cos it can't last forever.

Can it? :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:27 am

Same here John.....has been the most wintry winter I have ever seen.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 am

we have snow falling and sticking, like you Harry I can't remember anything like this :roll:

Lynn
<<

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:48 am

Its clear blue sky and sunny here. no snow at all... but it is very cold!

john, get some of those studded tyres on your bike and go for a spin, you will be fine. :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:01 am

forecast for 31c here tomorrow. Humidity is high too. Real storm weather for us. Could do with some your cold weather though. :)
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:44 pm

It's supposed to rain here, which should help to melt the snow.
But now they are worried about flooding if it melts too fast.
Here is the result of 2 feet of snow for two weeks on the roof of a barn from 1900.
Attachments
barn4.jpg
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Apparently it's the coldest winter in Britain for 30 years......
http://news.aol.co.uk/coldest-winter-for-thirty-years/article/20100222134949438886586
Furfuksake - You don't need an "expert" to tell you that - just ask your next door neighbour :roll:

......And tell me Mr "expert" - wot about global warming then :P
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:46 am

Phill wrote:......And tell me Mr "expert" - wot about global warming then :P

You've got a lot to learn Phill.

It's only global warming when it's hot.

When it's cold it's climate change.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:00 pm

I can't beeelieve tomorrow is the 1st April.

My van is currently stuck in the snow - I couldn't get it parked in the car park this morning the snow is so deep - it ended up slithering down the slope and is currently stuck against the pavement. Alison had the common sense to park out on the non sloping access road.

This is a picture from the front door of my unit taken 10 minutes ago.
Attachments
stuckinsnow.jpg
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:03 pm

:o wow didnt think it was that bad :o
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:09 pm

your a day early Phill !!!!!!

It's April 1st tomorrow not today :lol1: :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:18 pm

I kid yee not :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:19 pm

thats what Phil said Martin :-?
I can't beeelieve tomorrow is the 1st April
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:26 pm

It is supposed to go to 70° today here.
And tomorrow, April Fool's Day, is also my brother's birthday.
No wonder he's such a d!ck.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:27 pm

John, I read that but that's just Phill with one of his double bluffs :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:48 pm

how did you get stuck you have two wheel drive.

sorry had to say it
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:59 pm

Precisely - If I'd had 4wd it might not have been a problem. I've never claimed 2wd was superior - that was Peter and John

:lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:00 pm

I know lol
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:57 pm

Phill wrote:I've never claimed 2wd was superior - that was Peter and John

Oi Fenton!!!

I never said two wheel drive was superior. Why would I be running around in a Range Rover if I thought that?

All I said was that tyre type played a very large part in snow and mud performance. And that's as true for four wheel drive as two.

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:13 pm

Wow you did get it bad M8, It's just so unreal to think we are in April.

Hope it clears soon M8

Paul

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training