my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Advice on Netbooks

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:15 am

Advice on Netbooks

I'm having to go out and see if I can get Emily a netbook. Her laptop is so slow now she struggles to get her homework done on it now without a problem :(
Anyway, she was looking last night online and saw a Samsung N110 netbook that she liked the look of. Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice on this machine or indeed any other they would recommend?
Can't manage a decent laptop - no money after christmas so we thought of a netbook since we could get one a bit cheaper, and it would fit in her handbag too :D

Bearing in mind we're looking for something that won't be doing any sign work lol, purely homework and storing music and photos and surfing the net!

any advice appreciated
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:35 am

Re: Advice on Netbooks

Marcella wrote:purely homework and storing music and photos and surfing the net!

I appreciate that the budget may be a problem but, if you can run to it, a MacBook 13" would be ideal for those jobs.

:peek:
<<

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:42 am

I recently bought my second one after spilling a drink on the other marcella... i had an acer to begin with. it was really easy to work, but limited in ways due to its operating system i think was linux. i think most of the ear;y ones were same... anyway, looking for a replacement i settled for the DELL netbook. think it cost "about" £175. there were a few others that where about £40+ more expensive, but when i asked why, (as i couldnt really see a reason) i was told it was simply because the DELL had windows XP and the more expensive netbooks on show had windows 7. i expected linux again, so getting the XP was a bonus as i would have picked that over windows 7 anyway... :D

so the DELL netbook it was... and they come in various colours too...

PC World in stirling had a few left in black and candy red...

as for storing music, ide suggest buying a memory card for it and saving to that, rather than bogging her system down when she needs it for work. personally ide suggest loading spottify free, http://www.spotify.com/en/products/free/ much better, easier indexing, clean file downloading etc etc

hope this helps...
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:46 am

Marcella, you would probably be better off buying her an external drive that she can store a lot of the stuff she doesn't need to take with her everywhere she goes.
If her laptop wasn't running slowly before then it is probably only running slowly now because it is full of stuff she doesn't need or doesn't use all the time.

I bet if you took most of the stuff she doesn't need with her all the time off and gave the drive a good defrag then the speed would return.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:51 am

Yeah but, no but......

The poor girl's got to do her homework on it too.

On a 10" screen?

Better book her into Specsavers at the same time then. :D
<<

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:18 pm

not all of us are Mr Magoo though John... :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:13 pm

we have 2 external hard drives anyway, so most of her music is stored on hers. But some of it will be on her itunes at times for updating her ipod.

She hates XP and would rather have Vista or windows 7 ( tried to convince her XP was a good option but she wasn't having it! lol)

Anyway, I'll have a wee look at Currys this afternoon, there's one close by. She wouldn't mind a Dell either as she likes my PC at work.

JC if she could she'd have a Macbook!!!!!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:53 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:not all of us are Mr Magoo though John...

No. But you will be if you stare at small screens for too long.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it you having a pop at Dave Rowland the other day for trying to do stuff on his phone? This isn't much better. :D
<<

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:56 pm

John, admittedly, my eyesight is poor mate, but i have no problems using the netbook. i also have a HP laptop with all the bells and whistles and has a huge screen, (i forget the size) but as i use the netbook and my laptop purely for internet access then i really do not need anything bigger than the netbook. i couldnt tell you the last time i turned my laptop on... probably signuk 2 years ago on the train down there and that was to watch a film. a netbook is much easier to transport also and if it gets lost or stole its not the end of the world when its under £200. as i said, i do not use it to work from just access the internet and check mail, if i really need to reply there and then, i can.
my comment to dave was because he was accessing his desktop remotely to use his computer (at home) to work on from via his phone, which i still think is very OTT.
i was setting my daughters iTouch up only last night with the wifi in my house and just doing that drove me nuts. admittedly i dont like touch screen stuff at best of time, but it was driving me nuts... even flipping it on its side for wide screen.
as i said, i have the full MAC Pro setup, im not knocking macs in anyway, i just dont favour the iPhone to work from on stuff that really should be done in an office.

anyway, not wanting to take this off topic with mac/iphone debate... :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:13 pm

So really she just wants a new toy then :lol1: :lol1:

Think the comments about working on a small screen for stuff like homework are valid ones as well but good luck with whatever you decide to buy, probably won't be long before it will be running as slowly as her laptop though once it is full of music and photos :lol1:

Quick question Marcella, is Emily's drive partitioned? If it is how much free space is left on the "C" drive. Just ask because my youngest son asked me to look at his laptop because it was running very slowly and he had next to no space at all left on the "C" drive because he had millions of photos stored in my pictures. Moved them to a new folder on the "D" drive and suddenly his laptop was fine and I had freed up about 30 gig of space on the "C" drive.

Just find a very old PC running windows 3.1, make Emily use that for a week or so and then ask her how much she hates XP :lol1: :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:15 pm

did she have a pop at me? i sent her a message in private on this... but i have a feeling she is shopping as we speak.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Dave Rowland wrote:did she have a pop at me? i sent her a message in private on this... but i have a feeling she is shopping as we speak.

who .... me???? No message from you Dave.

Yes i went shopping and came back with this
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/c ... oid=-35758

looks good and has loads of storage, good battery life and windows 7!!!!
Anyway, Emily had no idea I was going out to get one today so she's OVER THE MOON! Already got it installed with Avast and getting it set up with what she needs.

Off out to sell my body tonight to pay for it now :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:16 pm

your message was on Facebook :) ...... just got it now!

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat