• TIMELINE

Far too many fonts now slowing My Laptop down

<<

Kevin Parr

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:53 am

Far too many fonts now slowing My Laptop down

Merry christmas everyone i hope you all received what you wanted and more so.Now to my question i have installed 12,000 fonts on my laptop and now it has slowed my machine down to a crawl so how do i take them all off without taking of the fonts that was instaled on my pc.I dont want to format or reinstall if i can help it as i have all my work on my laptop and will take so long to get it running again.Any advice would be gratefull
thanks in advance
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:56 am

what happens when you install fonts is it copies into the windows/fonts folder and makes an entry in the registry... So the best bet is to manually delete or reformat. If it is also Corel Draw installed and the fonts came from that, then re-install corel afterwards.
<<

Kevin Parr

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:33 pm

Many thanks for that .Im trying to trawl through 12000 plus fonts by hand deleting them individually hoping that they are not windows fonts so when i restart my pc that it starts without any problems because i have deleted the wrong fonts many thanks for your help
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Kevin, found this with a google search might be of some help to you.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutg ... load_3.htm

As for the other fonts you could still keep them on your laptop if you created another folder somewhere and stored them in that so they didn't all load at start up or you could use a font manager to manage them.
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:38 pm

You need a font manager so that you can keep the fonts on your laptop, keep a basic set permanently installed, but only activate any others as they are required.

We use FontAgent Pro, and find it excellent. It does a good job without being overcomplicated.

They do a windows version too.

http://www.insidersoftware.com/FA_win.php
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:29 pm

problem with macs the font management is much improved even with tools, in windows it has to have all fonts installed for it to behave correctly... we have about 2000 fonts installed and nothing much on the PC for the designers, XP has no problems
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:40 pm

Dave Rowland wrote:problem with macs the font management is much improved even with tools, in windows it has to have all fonts installed for it to behave correctly... we have about 2000 fonts installed and nothing much on the PC for the designers, XP has no problems

(?)

Sorry Dave. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. :-?
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:46 pm

on the mac, program like the one u shown and suitcase are 'smart' and works with the programs if that font is not available.

on the PC, you need pluggin's to tell the font manager to make the font available, so Suitcase was pretty crap on the PC and locked up a bit and the one you listed also has Adobe pluggin's, Corel does have a font manager but it is naff, so its best just to have your regular fonts installed and not catalogue CD's, bin the catalogue CDs and use online search like DA Font etc.
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks for the clarification Dave. I understand now.

So PCs can't do the automatic font opening trick likes Macs can. I didn't know that. But surely, if you know what font you want (which we normally do), even on a PC it is still possible to activate that with a font manager before opening a document, or starting a new one?

Nowhere near as slick, but surely a lot better than nothing?

I never did like Suitcase, right back from the System 6 days, and much prefer FontAgent Pro. A good useable bit of software.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:45 pm

I am not sure what the problem is, I have about 10,000 fonts installed. I dont think they slow my pc down, whats the advantage with a font manager?

Peter
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:57 pm

Peter Normington wrote:I have about 10,000 fonts installed. I dont think they slow my pc down, whats the advantage with a font manager?

Do you mean that you have 10,000 fonts on your hard drive, or 10,000 fonts active?
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:45 pm

thats the thing, windows fonts folder is where a font needs to lie, so uninstall and installing isn't that advisable, in Windows 2000 days there was problems with memory management and fonts, each time you open a font it remains in the memory of a computer so having countless fonts causes the font to be open, so each 50Kb font adds up. With XP I never did hear about mass-fonts and problems with speed, but our systems dont seem to be bothered too much with 2000 or so.

Thing is with Corel X3 and above it actually opens a preview of each font in the drop down, so to load 15,000 fonts *should* be quite taxing for the PC
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:21 pm

The software I use does the same thing Dave and as the PC and laptop are running windows 98 I try to keep installed fonts down to a minimum.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:03 pm

John Childs wrote:
Peter Normington wrote:I have about 10,000 fonts installed. I dont think they slow my pc down, whats the advantage with a font manager?

Do you mean that you have 10,000 fonts on your hard drive, or 10,000 fonts active?

I have 10,000 installed and active.

why should that be a problem?

Peter
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:10 pm

Peter Normington wrote:why should that be a problem?

For the reasons Dave mentioned above. They all take up memory, and time to open every time you open up an application. I don't doubt your assertions, but I don't understand why you don't get speed problems. Certainly I would, even with my meagre stock of four thousand fonts.

Quite apart from all that, your application font menus must be about four yards long. :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:22 pm

well it may be just me,
Although i did slightly exaggerate
I have only 7500 installed, just checked, and never had any speed or other issues, perhaps mac is diferent?
Attachments
fonts.JPG
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:52 pm

Peter Normington wrote:perhaps mac is diferent?

Don't think so Peter. Although perhaps Dave could make a comment on that.

Anyway, it's not me and my Macs complaining. It's Kevin with the speed problem. :D

Although, on a practical level, I just wouldn't want to scroll up and down a four yard list of fonts which I will never use every time I wanted to select one. All I have in mine are the standard system and application fonts, plus the ones I use every day. Probably two or three hundred in total, with the rest available with a couple of clicks. I just think that that is a more efficient way to operate. Works for me anyhow. :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:35 am

Sorry John,
I was not knocking the Mac.
I thought windows XP had the font problem sorted ? I remember it being a problem with earlier versions, as Dave has pointed out. I was just thinking that the slowing down on Kevin's laptop may be for some other reason, perhaps a good defrag is required?

I also just realised that about 2000 of my fonts are not installed in the windows font folder, they are signlab specific, and it has its own font organiser.

Peter

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat