• TIMELINE

Issues printing from PDF

<<

Shane McNamee

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:33 am

Issues printing from PDF

Hi all!
We have two Roland printers, a XC-540 and a XJ-640, running off Versaworks, and recently are being supplied with artwork saved as PDF's, more often than not produced from InDesign.
Reciently, more than before anyway, we are having issues with the printing, with discolored 'boxes' around text or cropped images, or with 'invisible' lines or other hidden elements printing out when they shouldn't.
Has anyone else had similar problems, or know of an effective solution for this (other than saving everything out as a JPEG?
TTFN,
Shane
<<

Gary Birch

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:42 am

Yeah I have had exactly the same issues in the past but we ended up saving the artwork as a tiff which solved the problem. Sorry I can't help in any other way though.

Cheers

Gary
<<

Dan Osterbery

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:09 pm

i think it is something to do with transparencys, we have had similiar problems, with pdf's from illustrator as well, save to tiff has removed the problem, but would love to get a real solution if theres a genius out there willing to help!!
<<

Shane McNamee

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:40 pm

The main problems I would have with saving files out as TIFFs or JPEGs are that some of the jobs we work on might have 30-40 separate files, and would take ages to work through them all, and also that we often work with very large graphic areas broken into mutiple tiles (we've done wall graphics that are 3m high x 20m wide for example), where saving as a TIFF or JPEG would create such a a huge file, that even if done at scale, could result it files of 1gig or more, making them effectively un-ripable.
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:46 pm

We normally save and print eps with no problems, but recently we received a couple of files from a client which wouldn't print out one item in the image.

Saved and printed as a pdf and it came out perfectly.

I fiddled around with it for ages, but couldn't figure out why. :(
<<

Jon Marshall

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:43 pm

I think it's because adobe keep updating the PDF engine and the RIPS aren't up to date with it. I think PDF is up to 1.7 now whereas many RIPS only support up to 1.4 or so.
<<

Simon Strom

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:56 pm

Yeah, if you have Acrobat Pro you can save backwards to a previous version. That method of course won't help if ya don't have it. :D
<<

Lee Attewell

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:38 am

Flatten transparencies before pdfing them. That should work.

I'm having pdf issues with my computer but that's another issue
<<

Alan Drury

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:35 am

Could easily be a pdf version issue
Example:
In Corel put a drop shadow on a bit of text and place that on top of a coloured rectangle so it overlaps the rectangle edge, print to Acrobat using 1.4. View pdf close up in Acrobat and you will see that the immediate area of the rectangle where the shadow overlaps has been converted to a bitmap and dsplays as such. Later versions of PDF are much better at handling transparencies but possibly the RIP can.t handle them so Lee's advice of flattening any transparencies may well sort the problem.
The transparency issue is a pdf and postscript thing not Corel.
Alan D
<<

David J Evans

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:23 pm

Versaworks doesnt have a PDF interpretter instead it use a library (XPDF) to convert the PDF to EPS / PS. This is my understanding and is why the PDF support in Versaworks is a bit unreliable mainly in the area of transparency as thats not supported in EPS / PS and has to be flatten out.

Its best to use EPS, so that Acrobat or Illustrator flatten the transparency information. This should work more reliably with Versaworks but can still cause some other problems particularly if you have areas that are partially transparent as the resulting EPS gets complicated with clipping paths and as all the flattened data is bitmap data can cause color issues / mismatches depending on ICC input profiles and if Pantone colors are used.

Best regards

-David
<<

Chris Wool

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:54 pm

John Childs wrote:We normally save and print eps with no problems, but recently we received a couple of files from a client which wouldn't print out one item in the image.

Saved and printed as a pdf and it came out perfectly.

I fiddled around with it for ages, but couldn't figure out why. :(

just had that john and was a transparency on one of the layers that ilistrator did not understand, but the pdf would be ok. ?
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:10 pm

Cheers Chris. I'll check it out. :D

Return to Adobe Software

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions