Categories
  • TIMELINE

Preventing signs fading for up to 7 years

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:20 am

Preventing signs fading for up to 7 years

Hi,

I need options for a client that has had fading issues in the past and is now concerned about the re-branding. Unfortunately they are using a designer that likes soft manifestations (if you know what i mean) in the background.

What are my options if digital print will fade in 3 years and cutting manifestations in vinyl will take an age to weed! (probably cant get the colour in vinyl anyway)

I appreciate that specified 3-5 year products can last longer but i feel i may need something more facts to convince client.

Think facias first as it may change your answer.

PS I did not supply the fading signs in the first place.

Cheers

Paul
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:39 am

I would not guarantee a seven year life with any print and probably not with most vinyls.
the best you can do is the same as the manufacturers, and state their specs,
which is ultimately UP TO a specified period, so you would recommend ten year cast, for longevity, which should last for seven years, but does depend on specific criteria, on how much sunlight it will receive etc.

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:43 am

Hi Paul.

You might want to consider the location, whether south facing, or not, but I would have thought that a good cast material, printed with good inks, and protected with a UV resistant laminate would be alright for seven years. It's going to fade, but it should stay within acceptable limits.

Especially on a fascia sign, which is a less hostile environment than on a vehicle.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:12 am

John Childs wrote:Hi Paul.

You might want to consider the location, whether south facing, or not, but I would have thought that a good cast material, printed with good inks, and protected with a UV resistant laminate would be alright for seven years. It's going to fade, but it should stay within acceptable limits.

Especially on a fascia sign, which is a less hostile environment than on a vehicle.

Hi John

I recently spoke to a vinyl manufacturer and they suggested only 3years is what they expect from print and much less if it is of poor quality inks. They also said that laminate doesn't really stop fading just scratching - although it may add some life.

Unfortunately I don't yet own a printer so have no direct control over the inks etc. and every printer supplier will say that they are using good quality materials - even if they use the unbranded copies.

What are my options in the way i can produce, especially if i cant get the colours from stock, and then advise on those "acceptable limits" to the client

Cheers

Paul
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:19 am

Peter Normington wrote:I would not guarantee a seven year life with any print and probably not with most vinyls.
the best you can do is the same as the manufacturers, and state their specs,
which is ultimately UP TO a specified period, so you would recommend ten year cast, for longevity, which should last for seven years, but does depend on specific criteria, on how much sunlight it will receive etc.

Peter

Hi Peter,
Yes i agree with you on that and, if needed, set their expectations for vinyl depending on location etc.

Thing with this is that i am trying to find the best method, for this kind of design, that has the longevity of colour. Some methods i may not be aware of /have experience of.

Cheers

Paul
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:02 am

If you can't get the colours from stock then, ignoring the custom made option because you're not going to need to buy the sort of amount that that entails, then you only have the print route.

However, you could get some white vinyl flood coated by your local screen printer. Their inks are a lot more resistant to fading than inkjet ones but, even so, to last seven years, they would need laminating too.

Ordinary, everyday laminate protects against scratches but, a UV resistant one will delay fading quite considerably.

If you're really not happy, then the best advice I can give is to walk away from the job. I did that a few weeks ago when a local authority (so a considerable number of vans) wanted Chapter 8 rear safety markings to be guaranteed for seven years. I explained that even the best fluorescent is only 3 year, so what he was asking for was impossible, but I couldn't make him understand. He insisted, so I quoted for the original job, plus stripping and replacing after three years, which made me about three times the price of any other quote he got.

The annoying thing is that somebody has gone in there, kept their mouth shut, and got the job. Still, at least I can sleep at night knowing that the cost of rectification and bringing up to spec, isn't going to come back and haunt me. And, as a bonus, I've kept my integrity.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:19 am

The councils here use a digital print laminate with a 5 year life span for the print before they fade really badly. Its a very expensive product from what I've heard but 5 years is closer to 7 than 3.

Your client will be hard pressed to get a guarantee from anyone unless the situation is 'ideal'. Perhaps they should rebrand with computer cut in mind rather than digital print

SEAL give a 5 year warranty on their liquid UV laminate in Europe. You could do a double coat and that may help to add a longer life.

My liquid laminator is fantastic, and I can vouch for the finished quality and gloss levels.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:52 am

Tell them if they want a sign guaranteed to last that long, they will need to look at something like cut out raised plastic or metal lettering on a plastic board background ( you know the sort of thing I mean ), or a traditionally painted sign done with a brush in exterior paint.

Both will probably cost them 5 times what having a printed sign would.

So it is much cheaper to have a printed sign, and refresh after 3 years with a new one, or as and when it needs to be done.

Cut vinyl probably would last longer, but then you are limited to what can be done in design terms compared to a full colour print.

I think what your customer wants is the cheap price of having a printed or cut vinyl design, but the longevity of a solid material sign, which isnt going to happen.

Personally I would just tell them what they want isnt possible, and quote for supplying one printed sign with 2 or 3 year lifespan, plus a reduced price for replacing it when it needs doing.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:23 pm

What about printing direct using UV cure able inks, Ive been told they don't suffer from fading anywhere near standard prints. If this is not the case, then my supplier is in the firing line...... :lol1:
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:45 pm

Graeme Harrold wrote:What about printing direct using UV cure able inks, Ive been told they don't suffer from fading anywhere near standard prints. If this is not the case, then my supplier is in the firing line...... :lol1:

don't know but put him in the firing line anyway :D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:30 pm

Graeme Harrold wrote:What about printing direct using UV cure able inks, Ive been told they don't suffer from fading anywhere near standard prints. If this is not the case, then my supplier is in the firing line...... :lol1:

Fraid i dont know much about UV curable either - anyone?

Paul

Return to General Sign Topics