my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

ISO 9001 & ISO 9002

<<

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:46 pm

ISO 9001 & ISO 9002

Hi all, I've looked on the site and i can't see an answer, but I've be asked by a local large company if we are either 9001 or 9002. I've done a bit of research but to be honest it was all a bit confusing. the job we got and quoted for was around £65 + vat so not a massive amount and to be honest, we've never been asked for it and might never do another job for them. we're only a small Town company with 3 employees, a Roland VP540 printer and grafhtec cutter

is it more hassle than its worth please?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:33 pm

An absolute waste of time.

And not necessary

If a customer had a £65,000 order I might consider becoming ISO9002 registered again but, even then, if I'd got plenty of other work I wouldn't bother.
<<

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:38 pm

John Childs wrote:An absolute waste of time.

And not necessary

If a customer had a £65,000 order I might consider becoming ISO9002 registered again but, even then, if I'd got plenty of other work I wouldn't bother.

Hi John

that's the answer i was looking for, many thanks for you time!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:10 pm

Do you think the milk and tea bags is purchased from an ISO registered corner shop or supermarket?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:42 pm

Dave Rowland wrote:Do you think the milk and tea bags is purchased from an ISO registered corner shop or supermarket?

That's almost what one of my larger clients, a FTSE100 company, told me.

His words were, "what you sell us doesn't affect the quality of our own product, therefore we lump you in with the likes of stationery supplies".

I also had the local health authority tell me that they didn't care one way or the other about ISO 9002. "We will give anybody one chance and if they perform then we will use them again. If they don't, we won't".

That's the point where I gave up our registration and started saving about three grand a year.

We do still actually use some of the procedures put into place when we were registered because they are actually quite good, but we are doing that for our own benefit and not to satisfy some jumped up inspector who, no matter how well we administered it, was only looking for fault.
<<

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:50 pm

John Childs wrote:
Dave Rowland wrote:Do you think the milk and tea bags is purchased from an ISO registered corner shop or supermarket?

That's almost what one of my larger clients, a FTSE100 company, told me.

His words were, "what you sell us doesn't affect the quality of our own product, therefore we lump you in with the likes of stationery supplies".

I also had the local health authority tell me that they didn't care one way or the other about ISO 9002. "We will give anybody one chance and if they perform then we will use them again. If they don't, we won't".

That's the point where I gave up our registration and started saving about three grand a year.

We do still actually use some of the procedures put into place when we were registered because they are actually quite good, but we are doing that for our own benefit and not to satisfy some jumped up inspector who, no matter how well we administered it, was only looking for fault.

thats a good point chaps, what i would be supplying goes no further that their head office, i'll try that tact :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:54 pm

I agree with the general..... complete waste of time unless you are talking major contracts.

Some good working practices can be implemented from the approval but the benefits for the general small company can rarely justify the cost.

..... better off operating some of the systems and just not bothering getting your bit of paper that costs you thousands to maintain each year! :D
<<

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:19 pm

i just phoned the guy back and said about the points you've all raised, to see if we fit in the Biro category, he's going to let me know thanks again
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:57 am

Interesting one.

I have just been sent a questionaire to fill in. This is from a customer that we occasionally supply instructional labels for the machinery they produce. Are signs and labels a component of the machinery, or do we still fall within the same classification as a stationery supplier?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:52 am

Phill wrote: Are signs and labels a component of the machinery, or do we still fall within the same classification as a stationery supplier?

I would suspect that an instructional or safety warning label could be considered a quality issue, but the thing is that it's all bullshit anyway.

Just because a customer is registered for ISO, doesn't mean that all his suppliers have to be too, even for the most quality sensitive parts.

If a customer wants to buy stuff from a non-registered supplier then he is perfectly at liberty to do so if he puts that supplier through his own quality checking procedure.

They can make that as complicated as they like, but it can be as simple as accepting a supplier on the basis of satisfactory previous supply. Or, if they've not bought anything previously, on inspection of samples of previous work. Five minutes tops. :D
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:14 pm

From what I've seen these standards say more about your companies ability to fill in pointless forms than produce a decent product.
Alan D

Return to General Sign Topics

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation