my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

do you laminate on matt black vehicle wrap???

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:17 pm

do you laminate on matt black vehicle wrap???

Hi all,

I was just wondering about laminating on Matt black vehicle wrap. if you did would it not give it a glossy sheen?? Matt this mean it is no longer a Matt finish?? and if you didn't wouldn't that mean it is too brittle to apply?? a little confused here as i need to wrap a vehicle in Matt black but don't know how to go about it!!!

if i were to use any other kind of plain coloured vehicle wrap would the same rules apply of laminating or not?? or is it only on printed colored wrap vinyl that you laminate?? i have been told vehicle wrap vinyl has to be laminated otherwise it is too brittle and impossible to take off once applied. is this true??

cheers!!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:31 pm

You don't need to laminate it. You could if you wanted to make it easier to handle but you'd use a matt laminate.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:34 pm

if i didnt would it make is as easy to take off?? what would i be compromising if i didnt laminate?? for example with regards to durability, lifespan e.t.c
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:18 pm

Lamination is only done to protect print. If it isn't printed, then it doesn't need laminating. Whether you choose to laminate for other reasons is down to you but......

If you want a thicker material to aid application, then why not just use a thicker matt black film? But really, there is no reason why you can't wrap with an unlaminated 50 micron film - it just takes practice and experience. A good wrapping course will help too.

Is removal going to be your problem? If not, forget about it, and concentrate on getting the wrap done right.

It's all going to be difficult to remove. If it doesn't have good adhesion, then it's not going to stick properly into body swages for any length of time. I would be suspicious of any material that was too easy to remove.

Have fun.

:D

Return to Vehicle Wrapping