my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Mimaki CJV & Signlab 8 Help needed?

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:15 am

Mimaki CJV & Signlab 8 Help needed?

Hi, just bought a Mimaki CJV & running it out of signlab 8.
The bloke who installed it said it would not print and cut through raster, so print & cut through signlab is fine but not mega accurate, so need to use registration marks to make more accurate. Put some marks on a job turned mark detection on & does not detect them in the print & cut mode, does anyone know if I can print a job with marks then put it back in so it will detect the marks & be more accurate.

Cheers PG
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:38 am

Not sure on your exact machine but in print and cut mode you should get fairly good accuracy.

It seems like your machine hasn't been setup properlly.

Have you tried another file like a simple square with no bleed and see which way it is going out and by how much?
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:32 am

Hi Jason,
Yes tried a 500mm disc with a -3mm contour it cut -1mm at the front & -5mm at the back bothe sides ok, I thought the machine should be more accurate than that so spoke to Mimaki they said it should be more accurate using registration marks, but cant seem to get them working.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:45 am

You sure your feed calibration is set correctly? That's only a 0.4% variation.

Also the sides cutting fine lends itself to a feed problem.

did you measure the 500mm disc with a ruler to see if it actually was 500mm?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:48 am

Joe,

Are you using Signlab to print, or the RasterLink Pro RIP?
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:24 am

John, using signlab to print

Jason, feed calibration going to look in the manual, & yes defiantly bang on 500mil,
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:16 am

With the Roland, if you print then cut, it will screw up the diecut if you have the crop marks printed as well as the registration marks. It prints the sides perfectly, but is out on the length.

Have you printed crop marks as well as the registrations?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:34 am

Jo Grundy wrote:John, using signlab to print

Not sure I can help you then Jo.

We use Illustrator to generate artwork, and put registration marks on with the Mimaki Finecut plug-in, which must be 0.4mm thick by at least 10mm long.

Then we print using RasterLink Pro, which came free with our JV33.

Finally we cut, using the Finecut plug-in again.

We have to remove the print from the printer and put it into our cutter, a step you will avoid with the CJV, but as most of our stuff is laminated we have to do that anyway.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:56 am

Hi Shane, just printed reg marks.

John, tried the right marks can print with Raster link pro this came with the printer but can not cut with fine cut as it is only compatible with Illustrater & Illustrator. Going to try printing, take it out & put it back in & go.

Thanks

The lump on my head is getting bigger.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:29 pm

Jo Grundy wrote: it is only compatible with Illustrater & Illustrator.

And Corel.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:51 pm

Sorry John,

I told you the lump on the head from banging it on the wall was getting bigger.

Yes & Corel

:oops:
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi Jo, In Signlab, go to File> Print & Cut setup, select the CJV-30 and then click the cutter tab, Select the CJV-30 as the cutter also, then make Printer Cutter Alignment =Type1 (Unless you know you have the machine set differently), then change the tool to "knife with reg marks".

Now when you print & cut, in the preview you should see the registration marks in the preview. (You can zoom in the preview using F5, F6, F7 etc.).

Now when you send to print & cut it should print the job and then go back and find regmarks and cut the job without any intervention. If you wish to laminate between printing and cutting, you need to check the box marked Laminate (Cutting Tab).
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:17 pm

only in sign lab the description of the reg marks is the wrong way round
It says type one, point out, bit in preview they point in so you need to make sure the machine is set to type 2 or vice versa

Peter
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:06 am

Ray thanks v much spot on works fine. Just to be a pain do you know how to get the reg marks closer to the job or it this a standard offset. Used signlab for 7 years but only ever with a plotter until now, you think you know the software but there is always something new or a quicker way of doing things, but thoroughly enjoying doing my own print.

Thanks Peter, that one did do me in swell, I take it you run signlab to.

PG
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:22 am

Jo Grundy wrote:but thoroughly enjoying doing my own print.

Yes, and the CJV is a very useful machine. I was looking at one when I called into I-Sub yesterday to collect some ink.

Our problem is that we don't yet have enough print work to justify buying another printer to run alongside our JV33. If ever that day comes we will certainly get a CJV because, although most of our stuff is laminated and has to come out of the machine anyway, on odd occasions, like today, print and cut would be useful, even if it is slower than using a separate printer and cutter.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:52 am

Hi John, I am well impressed with this machine would defiantly recommend,
the print & cut is now spot on but works better if you keep all pinch rollers down for cutting if you can wait for print to dry a bit. Does your machine band on low quality.

Been uming & r-ring about a printer for the last 2 years but buying quite a lot of print in at the moment, should have took the plunge back then.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:06 am

Jo Grundy wrote:Does your machine band on low quality.

Yes, it can band a bit on solid colours on low quality, but not to an unacceptable level. We were looking at that only yesterday, wondering whether to print a job at high quality, until Pete made the comment that, overall, on low quality the print was still better than having the job screen printed.

That's solid colours, on images there's no problem whatsoever.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:49 am

Hi Jo, I'm running the same machine through SL8 too.
Yes you can alter the size and offset of the reg marks - in the cutter tab next to where you select type 2 marks click on the box with the 3 dots...

Which inkset are you running? I'd be interested to hear how you get on wrt printmodes and colours etc.

I've set up my own printmodes which do a good job but I still get some banding in certain colours and also some streaking (light and dark areas) in other colours.

Apart from that, it prints well and cuts okay but I have had a few jobs where the contour line just wouldn't line up properly. This is usually with a print/laminate/read reg marks/cut workflow.

Still trying to figure it out. Haven't tried it with Rasterlink because it's just way easier to do it all in Signlab rather than Signlab to Corel to Fine Cut to Rasterlink to Fine Cut.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:36 am

Hi Neil,

Thanks for that, ink is the SS21 and we do a regular job that requires pantone 382c so made the colour on signlab pallet using cmyc equivelent & the result was better than the print I have been buying in, a good match.
Profiles only had the machine about a week got the download from signlab web for latest profiles, at the moment using xerox vinyl matt & gloss because it was cheap & getting some great results using metamark profiles md3 gloss & matt also the avery 2000. on best the image quality of a phot is almost as good as my epson 1400, the metamark profiles has the edge.
I have been told that the vinyl is actualy made by oracle but there profiles are not as good.
So at the moment using the metamark profile have not had a problem with solid black & the bright green & everything in between.

Also found low temperatures are better for the matt.

Like you on the rasterlink haven't bothered as it is a lot easier in SL.

Jo
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:39 am

John,

sounds like mine is ok just a little paranoid about banding I think.
Prints good on 720x720 & 720x1080

Jo
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:29 am

Glad to hear your getting good colours.
Had a quick look at the Metamark printmodes - looks like they would put down a lot of ink.
If you think it's too heavy you can scale the max ink back from 330 to say 250 or less. Do a few tests at different settings and see how it looks.
Send a file which contains both vectors and a bitmap image to see how it handles both types.

My inks are different (ecoHS-1) but wouldn't be too dissimilar to SS21.
A lot of my prints are done with max ink of 160. Still looks good and helps speed up drying and curing and saves wasting ink.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:56 am

Neil, Had a look myself & see what you are saying.
Going to have a play about with the max ink settings, if I lower from the 320 in max ink box do I mirror the settings in the blend in ink box.

Cheers

Phil
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:59 am

Yep. If you make it 250, then set the blend in ink from 0 to 250.
This is the easiest way to alter the settings.

I've played with all sorts of other options like 250, 0 to 400 and 250, 250 to 400. They each have different affects but I find if I want to reduce or ramp up the ink for a particular job, I'll just alter the max ink setting and blend in ink from 0 to the max ink number.

Once you've settled on a good max ink setting for general printing, you can make a copy of the printmode and rename it and save it. Then you can just select that one instead of altering the original one each time.

I should add that your individual ink restrictions haven't been "restricted" at all in those printmodes.
That means that if you tell the printer to lay down 100% cyan (or M,Y or K) it will actually fire 100% of it's capacity. Typically the printer only needs to print maybe 80% of each colour to acheive full chroma saturation.

If you look at your "colour adjustments" tab you'll see your curve data shows 100% at 100% for all colours.

That being said, you can compensate for this by reducing your Max ink setting, and so in your case I'd be surprised if you needed any more than 200, 0-200 for anything. (Probably more like 150)

Send the same test file at say max 100, 150, 200 and 250 and see what it looks like.

Return to Signlab Software

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation
UK Sign Group