my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

DSLR's - where and what to buy?

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:00 pm

DSLR's - where and what to buy?

Hi people, I've been doing some searching and I see there are some camera nuts on here so looking for some advice.

Thinking of taking the plunge into DSLR's and pretty keen on the EOS500D but am interested in any other comparable cameras? Sony A380 looks good too but I'm very tempted to go Canon. Would probably be looking at trying to get a bundle deal, something like the 18-55 and 55-200 along with it. I know this is pricey but it seems better than building it up.

Any ideas on the best place to look for a deal? I'm guessing the High Street is out but I'll pop round this weekend and see what's there. Found a couple of deals on fleabay but I'm not going down that route as the only ones that were good prices were imports and I don't want any headaches in the future.

Wow.. what a rant... anyhoo, all tips and advice greatly appreciated.

G
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:10 pm

nothing wrong with sony etc. but IMO stick to cannon and Nikon for all the extra stuff. and more available second hand lens etc.

chris
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:37 pm

Everyone has there personal favourite manufacturer and once you have bought you find most stick with that make rather than change all their kit.

I like Nikon......had a D60x.......just upgraded to the new D5000 which has video function.....added a Nikkor 18-135mm zoom lens as well.

As for imports.......they all come out of the same factory.

john
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:53 am

Gavin,
You wont go far wrong with any of the big name makes, Nikon, Cannon, Olympus, Sony, Panasonic. For me the most important thing is the lens, even more so nowadays with digital non mechanical cameras. Nikon, Olympus and Cannon have always had an excellent reputation and Panasonic, I think, use Leica lenses.
If you have time to read try this site for some information.
http://www.dpreview.com/
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:58 pm

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ50, it's not a true DSLR as it uses a digital veiwer and still has a main screen but, whatever you see is what you shoot.

see here....
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Panasonic_Lumix_D ... K__6592772

10mp, tons and tons of features, very good stability function, 12x optical zoom (35mm - 420mm all in one lense), you can also still add 55 or 57mm adapters such as a 2x or 4x zoom, making for some very long range shots as well as, the usual gang of macro and light filters, quite easy to use too!

i bought mine on ebay! 18 months old, less than 1400 shots taken, mint condition and loads of extras like memory cards, batteries, cables, lenses etc etc etc, think i paid about £225 for it. many go for less without the spares. still, i thought it was a pretty good price to pay for a £700+ camera!

Hugh

ps, a couple pics below taken with it..
Attachments
nice welsh rain.JPG
aberdulais.JPG
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:32 pm

I have a cannon 450d with standard 18-55mm lens along with a 70mm x 300mm love it, great photos and still leaning.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:00 am

Hi have a Nikon D70 and D200 with various lenses. I used to be a big Olympus fan, with the trip 35 :oops: when I was young, then I spent all my money on the OM1 and OM10.

Now, either Canon or Nikon would be my first choice, but the Lumix is a great camera as are the Olympus and Sony.

In some ways I regret not going down the Canon path because the prices are more competitive, and in Australia at least, Canon has far more support than Nikon in terms of user groups and retailers.

That said, I love my two cameras.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'm kind of set on the Canon basically because I have an Ixus happy snapper and it's a brilliant piece of kit, really good camera even compared to a much newer and higher megapix pentax that I also have.

I'm finding it difficult to know what lenses to go for as I'm new to the whole thing. I'd like to have the full scope from macro to landscapes and wildlife but don't have an endless budget, are there any lenses that I must have and can I get round any issues with filters as Hugh has mentioned?

The combo I mentioned in my first post is looking like being around £775 - that is the absolute limit on my budget (it's actually well past it but hey ho!)

Thanks for the help
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:00 pm

I've recently bought an Olympus PEN.

Not a true DSLR, and not particularly cheap, but takes fantastic shots without the size and weight of some of the other cameras mentioned.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:30 pm

here is a great colour concept taken with a DSLR canon quite a stunning photo and taken on a college assignment...and guess what one of those ones i didnt take :D have aways used nikon and always thought they were the best, but im beginning to swing.... :wink:

nik
Attachments
flower1.jpg
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:13 am

Hi, Gavin
As said in an earlier post absolutely anything you could wish to know about your new purchase will be on dpreview. I have had canon gear since their eos system first came out 20 odd years back, and the old original lenses I have from back then still fit the new camera bodies made today. This has allowed me to upgrade my lenses over the years without the need to update the camera body, saving a small fortune compared to some other makes. My advise would be to buy the best camera body & lens you can afford now and add the lenses that you want as you need them.
Most decent camera shops offer a price match and one of the cheapest places around is www.warehouseexpress.com in Norwich, so go to your shop and see if they'll match their price.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:05 pm

excellent, getting some good info here!

Ray I had a look into the older lenses, some bargains about. Does this make any actual difference in use? I'm still getting my head round crop factors and the like. Would they AF work or would it be full manual? Not sure if this bothers me but would be good to know before taking the plunge.

Thanks
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:33 am

Hi Gavin
As far as I am aware most if not all Eos fit lenses will fit your camera and will focus and meter through the lens, just avoid the older FD fit lenses as these will not fit. Crop factors play a part when choosing lenses for digital cameras as a crop factor of 1.6 would make a 100-300 lens 160-480 so for wide angle work you would need something like a 17-40 or lower to achieve something like the normal 28-80 lens. You will also find lenses available to fit your camera from other manufactures, such as sigma and tamron these are generally cheaper but tend to lack the focusing speed and can be much heavier than the canon lens. Most camera shops will let you try a lens on your camera in the shop before you buy so remember to take your camera body with you when looking to purchase a new/secondhand lens.

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat