my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Have you ever turned down a job due to the artwork?

<<

Jason Xuereb

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:48 am

Have you ever turned down a job due to the artwork?

We just got a job because the employee at another printer refused to print the banner.

Have you ever turned down a job due to similar circumstances?

We'd turn down jobs where copyright was clearly breached or illegal but other then that our own beliefs don't come into it. Business is business.
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:00 am

Nope - But the really crap jobs don't get our sticker stuck on saying "Signwork by the Rightsigns" :baby:
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:06 am

yeah i think we did but i wasn't involved
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:21 am

I'm not proud when it involves income.
customer wants, customer gets

Peter
<<

John Thomson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:28 am

Peter Normington wrote:I'm not proud when it involves income.
customer wants, customer gets

Peter

I agree Peter........it would be nice to financially be able to 'choose' the work but until I am in that position I'll give the customers what they want.

john
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:46 am

Yes, I've turned a customer away because of artwork.

The problem is that, six months down the line, the customer will have forgotten that he supplied cr@p artwork, or that you did the job cheap, etc etc. But he will go out to his van every morning and see a bad job, and remember that you did it. Worse than that, he will also tell all his mates where he got it done.

I recently heard someone say that they wouldn't consider a vehicle wrap because they had seen some, and the quality of the print was bad. Fair enough, that may have been the printer, but it could equally well have been the quality of the images that the wrapper was supplied with.

So, maybe turning out bad work does us all a disservice, individually in the first example, and collectively in the second.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, yes, we turn out work that we're not particularly proud of, and certainly wouldn't want to put our names too.

But there are limits.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:10 am

i wouldn't say we have turned any away, but we have stressed on what doesn't look right etc
regardless, if something is crap and they insist, we do still tweak it before hand because in most cases, things get over sized and stretched by the customer because they cant visualise the actual scale/size of the job. when they see things live on their sign/vehicle then they just assume that's how it should be and accept it. ive never tweaked artwork and had a complaint about it not being right because lets face it, those providing artwork that's terrible really don't have a clue in the first place.
you also get the ones that provide crap artwork because that's all THEY can come up with, with their software and its normally by penny pinchers trying to save money by providing a disk. again, bring up a van/sign and explaining where WE see the design not working is enough for them to change their mind because a few clicks here and there and you can quickly alter, font, layout, colours etc then re-open their own artwork sit it side by side and you swing the customer to your design.
i am not saying we have never produced crap looking graphics due to a customer, but i think its just part of our job as professionals to be able to educate them into doing it properly. if they don't listen or are not interested in anything other than price, then hit the PRINT/CUT button and move on. :D
<<

Jason Xuereb

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:23 am

I think we got a bit side tracked.

I was more referring to the message on the artwork not the quality of the artwork.

:D
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:48 am

Jason Xuereb wrote:I think we got a bit side tracked.

I was more referring to the message on the artwork not the quality of the artwork.

:D

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: So what did the artwork say?
<<

Jason Xuereb

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:49 am

It was anti something to do with babies not being born.
<<

John Thomson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:54 am

Then is would come down to your personal beliefs.

john
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:54 am

Sorry Jason. I misunderstood the question.

I've never turned a job away on those grounds, but then we've never been asked to do anything very contentious. Certainly nothing that offended me personally.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:17 pm

There are very few organizations/groups to whom I would refuse to work for based on personal beliefs.
I can only think of two at the moment.
But yes, I did refuse to do a job for someone I had worked for about 5 years (they were a PITA anyway) Their wife had designed a new "logo" for them and it was not only hideous, it would have been nearly impossible to reproduce in cut vinyl (I don't print)
I chuckle every time I see it in the local ad flyer.
Whoever does it now tried to tart it up with drop shadows and has made it even uglier, if possible.
Love....Jill
<<

Marcella Ross

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:57 pm

I've never been in that position but I suppose I would have to feel VERY strongly about the subject to refuse the money! LOL!
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:02 pm

I went against my principles and did some signs for a local Labour party MP once :oops:
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:26 pm

Phill wrote:I went against my principles and did some signs for a local Labour party MP once :oops:

That's acceptable Phill.

Provided you charged him double the going rate. :D
<<

Karl Williams

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:48 pm

I suppose if it were something that inspired racial hatred or was in sighting hate against homosexuality I'd have to refuse. Producing something that would offend peoples beliefs or is just plain sick is not the kind of business I'd want.
<<

Dan Osterbery

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:02 pm

yes we have turned down banners and t-shirts on the grounds that the message was of hate and we didnt want to support or help their cause, i'm sure that they were done somewhere else, but we were busy that week and i was on my high horse!!
<<

Nigel Hindley

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:32 pm

I don't think I would turn down work on any grounds of principal as you could if you looked find a reason not to do every job. From artwork being unsavory for whatever reason to materials from countries with bad human rights records - you could find a reason not to do every job!

We regularly turn down work because of bad artwork. We live in small area - everyone would know who did the job. Even if the customer likes the artwork thousands will see it and know you did the job but you wont be there to say - not my artwork. we would lose trade and as John says - we are doing the industry no justice. We too try and advise.

From experience this is what happens - ''can you put this on my van?' -'er how about if we do this and this it may look better?' - 'No - I want this I did it on Publisher I like it' - 'But really it probably wont work because xyz' - 'I can go elswhere if you dont want to do it' - 'Ok we will do it' you do the job customer is back the next day 'this van is crap my freinds say its terrible, my wife hates it I want my money back its not what I wanted'

We had a company send us fax with DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THIS DRAWING' we did the van as per drawing - the boss came in a few weeks later refused to pay said it was crap - I told him you asked for crap He said its your job as the expert to tell us what will and wont work - i showed him what we advised told we said it wouldnt work - showed him the fax - he said im still not paying, if I tell folk your crap they will beleive me im not paying and walked out. Since then we never do crap artwork.

Nigel
<<

Karl Williams

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:00 pm

Nigel Hindley wrote:I don't think I would turn down work on any grounds of principal as you could if you looked find a reason not to do every job. From artwork being unsavory for whatever reason to materials from countries with bad human rights records - you could find a reason not to do every job!

We regularly turn down work because of bad artwork. We live in small area - everyone would know who did the job. Even if the customer likes the artwork thousands will see it and know you did the job but you wont be there to say - not my artwork. we would lose trade and as John says - we are doing the industry no justice. We too try and advise.

From experience this is what happens - ''can you put this on my van?' -'er how about if we do this and this it may look better?' - 'No - I want this I did it on Publisher I like it' - 'But really it probably wont work because xyz' - 'I can go elswhere if you dont want to do it' - 'Ok we will do it' you do the job customer is back the next day 'this van is crap my freinds say its terrible, my wife hates it I want my money back its not what I wanted'

We had a company send us fax with DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THIS DRAWING' we did the van as per drawing - the boss came in a few weeks later refused to pay said it was crap - I told him you asked for crap He said its your job as the expert to tell us what will and wont work - i showed him what we advised told we said it wouldnt work - showed him the fax - he said im still not paying, if I tell folk your crap they will beleive me im not paying and walked out. Since then we never do crap artwork.

Nigel

Not a nice position to be put in mate. They get this idea in their head their artwork is second to none and totally refuse to listen to an expert. Takes us back to a previous topic about the client sitting down while you design it. Some people just don't want to listen.
<<

Matt Hammond

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:13 am

I have turned work down recently because of the wording on it being hatred against certain people.

If a plumber or joiner came to their home they would normally do what said tradesman recommends but seems like every man and his dog thinks they can design and know better than we do in our trade.

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat