Categories
  • TIMELINE

Vehicle Wrap Design

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:42 am

Vehicle Wrap Design

Hi all,

just wondering what people thought of this design, if anyone has any suggestions to improve it.

Also, previously we have always used a hexis prined vinyl for these kinds of jobs but as its an old sprinter with deep resesses we are worried about it popping out.

people have suggested

3m IJ 380-20 with 8580 laminate

or

Avery 105 with equivalent laminate.

What are peoples thoughts on this kind of material? and what techniques could we use to ensure that the material does not pop out of the recess.??

Many thanks ben
Attachments
hex.jpg
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:13 pm

The best advice I can give you Ben, is to start with a black van.

As for the rest, meticulous cleaning and preparation. :D
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:16 pm

Hey Ben,

I'd always make the text or logo fit into the actual panel so that its not broken by the recess, especially on the older Sprinters, it may mean making the logo or text smaller but I always feel it still looks better than having it broken by a door jam or recess. Also I'd put the text on separately after you wrapped the van, means you can change it later on if needed also its easier to get it straight.

As far as material I'd always use Avery 1900 with a 1030 DOL lam and make sure you re-cast the vinyl once its pushed in and use a termostat to make sure your getting it hot enough. If you're not used to doing this then I'd strongly advise slicing/cutting and stripping in pieces into the recesses to make sure it never pops out.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:14 pm

Very nice design mate. Just be careful with black print in the recesses. Karen at ADS told me with the black solvent ink it's prone to pull out of deep recesses with it being more aggressive than the CMY. Should look good when complete. :wink:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:15 pm

Karl Williams wrote:Karen at ADS told me with the black solvent ink it's prone to pull out of deep recesses with it being more aggressive than the CMY.

That's interesting Karl. We've got nine vans to wrap in black print next month so I'll have to look into that.

For a change we've got plenty of notice on this job so we can leave them to outgas for a week, or three weeks if we want to. The thing is that the vans will be living two hundred miles from our base, so I don't want any comebacks.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi Ben,
I like the design very much but I would be very careful doing an old shape Sprinter as I caught a massive cold with one a few months back I even did it twice using different materials, both times it failed, each journey was a round trip of 360 miles with hotel accommodation and a third trip to strip the vehicle, costing me a fortune. Strangely enough it was also a black van, but it had been resprayed a month earlier.
Neither vinyl supplier would admit any form of responsibility but I noticed that one of the suppliers now puts a disclaimer on their literature saying that their material is not suitable for old shape Sprinters.
I am by no means a beginner at wrapping and have never had a problem before or since.
Good luck
Peter
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:01 pm

Love the design, I think I'd be tempted to put the HEX at the back of the van on drivers side though, so it's the same layout as passenger side and not mirrored, if you know what I mean. :D

Return to Graphic Design Help