my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Apply vinyl before or after bending the substraite.

<<

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:20 am

Apply vinyl before or after bending the substraite.

Hi i have a aluminum plate 36 x 79 inches that i have to mount on a pylon - and there will be a bend of 2 inches on the 36 inch side. Now here is my question - do I apply the vinyl on the flat plate or do I have to apply the vinyl after the plate have been mounted to the pylon. I am asking because there might be issues with bending the plate after the vinyl has been applyed. Thanks
<<

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:28 am

bit of a gamble... but ide probably apply the vinyl first.
along the area you will be bending ide apply some gentle heat till the panel is holding a little heat. then fold along that line as this will help prevent whitening of the vinyl. if your using a descent grade of vinyl like a cast, this shouldnt really be an issue.

where i see problem is the sheet folder itself. will you be using a pinch folder where you have a sort of male and female V-shaped Pinch coming together.
if so i recon this will mark the vinyl face.

if you are using the old style swinging arm, up and over type folder then i think this will do it better. but you will still need to maybe apply a couple of layers of masking tape down the fold to protect the vinyl.

if it were me ide take some off cuts of the substrate apply the vinyl and do some tests before the live one.

you could of course apply after its folded but could be a bit tricky.
<<

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:19 am

I am using Oracal 751 cast. I am not planning on bending the substrate in a machine, The substrate is Reynobond aluminum sandwich plate with a core of plastic. the total bend will be 50mm over the full with of the plate 920mm, I think it will hold the shape just fine when mounted to the pylon frame.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:23 am

Hi Carsten - ive done similar using calendared vinyl mac tac 9800 and a much sharper radiuss bend for an exterior shop sign, still good a few years later hence I forsee no problems for you.

John :D
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:14 pm

I've used the 751 C in some fairly bad curves and stretching and it's been very good so I would apply first and then bend.

Steve
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:51 pm

I don't think that a two inch bend over three feet is going to make any difference whatsoever.
<<

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:03 pm

sorry mate, ive read your post total wrong. i was thinking you were putting it into a hydraulic or similar sheet metal folder to form a sharp right angle as in you would find on a pan-sign or the like.
<<

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks very much - I'll then apply the vinyl before bending - thanks :D

Return to Vinyl