Categories
  • TIMELINE

Action to be taken on pavement signs

<<

Pete Witney

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:49 am

Action to be taken on pavement signs

"Businesses in Whitby are being warned that pavement advertising signs are illegal and will be removed by the county council"
Story in tonights local rag. "Officials say the signs:
are hazardous to blind, partially sighted, infirm or disabled people.
could cause a person to trip or pose a hazard to anyone walking into them.
and could impede visibility or distract motorists.
A new procedure adopted in Skipton will be implemented accross the County later this month. Initially a notice will be put on the sign warning that unless it is removed the cc will take action to remove it.Owners will have to pay £25.00 to get it back or it will be disposed of."
I had two enquiries for 'A' boards this week, guess I won't hear from them again. Has anyone else had this problem in their area?
Pete.
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:08 am

Typical :roll:

Political correctness gone mad.

Shoot the Blind B*st*rds I say, keep them off the streets, then the pavements will be safe for the rest of us without having to worry about having to manouvre around their wheelchairs and white sticks... :wink:
<<

Andy Gorman

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:14 am

Sounds like the sort of thing our council would do. 20 million potholes in the pavements and roads and they're more worried about a sign outside a shop.

Does anyone agree though, that those spin signs are just mental dangerous? Some of the places I've seen them - middles of paths for example. I wouldn't want to be hit by one of those!
<<

elitesigns

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:33 am

I think most councils have their moments on pavement signs, the problem is most of the time they are in the right to remove them.
One thing to check tho, is whether or not the pavement is highways owned or it belongs to the shop, which is the case often in our town, in which case they can't remove them.
<<

Simon Clayton

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:02 am

I agree, with elite,

I walk the kids to school everyday, most of the shops have a wide forecourt to them..
A good 5-10' which have been marked out in different coloured paving and hooped poles barriers,
Yet they all put their boards out onto the pavement, which makes quite an obstruction.

Simon
<<

Alan Drury

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:18 am

Same here in Saffron Walden, Essex, pavement boards would be removed for same reason and that includes the High street where the pavement is very wide. The council will soon take the rates but do nothing to help the shops increase/maintain business and don't start me off about the parking.
I think I'll go for a lie down.
Alan
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:00 pm

The council in my local area remove pavement signs routinely. Apparently the guy who 'collects' them for the council does it the underhanded way, ie sneaking up, grabbing the sign and running away with it. I suppose he views it that there will be no arguements :-?

Anyway, simple answer to this. A chain attached to the base of the sign, and attach the other end to the building :D Obviously this wouldn't work in all cases, but it will work outside my shop and quite a few others around the town. At least they can have the courtesy now to ask me to take the chain off so they can pinch my sign :-?

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Alan

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:34 pm

It’s alright to have lamp posts, road signs, litter bins, people standing in the centre of the path denying you passage so they can torment you with some survey or other and beggars with their dogs sat on the footpath outside a shop where the owner is trying to attract customers so he can afford to pay the enormous rates the council demand. But an attractive pavement sign, definitely not.

Perhaps if the council were to charge an extra 3 or 4 hundred pounds a year for the privilege of having the sign, then they would be far less dangerous I bet. :-?

Alan
<<

Nigel Fraser

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:51 pm

They're already doing that in my area - I think it costs £150-200 p.a. !

Nigel
<<

Pete Witney

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:03 pm

Thanks all for your comments/suggestions,I won't say I'm glad to see it happening elsewhere.The dilemma of course is whether to tell the customers of the chance that their board might be kidnapped.Alan I took a walk round town today and spotted other "hazards" such as council funded benches, children, no railings on the harbour wall etc.Are we going to stop girls wearing short skirts in the summer in case they distract motorists? I hope not.We had an Idea today of converting all 'A' boards to sandwich boards
<<

Martin C

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:05 pm

A chippy near me has used it's initiative and built a box about 14" square around the base of the lamp post outside their shop. It has advertising on all 4 sides. I think it's removable and only put out at opening times, and it does seem like an ingenious idea and perhaps a solution to the A-board 'problem'?
<<

Pete Witney

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:10 pm

Martin , he must have very long arms .Could be a solution in some cases, cheers. Pete
<<

John Singh

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:17 pm

This is a very interesting subject

The Council argue that A Boards can be a hazard to blind people
Ok Lets go along with their reasoning
A blind person could be obstructed by a carelessly placed A Board - True!

But can anyone explain how this argument does not apply to the Council?

In major High Streets today the Council are erecting HUGE permanent pavement advertising signs. :evil:

They can be over a metre wide and 1 1/2 metres high and stand on a single central pole. If a blind person were to use his stick to determine this object it would only tell him about the pole the sign is on. It would NOT tell him about the sign he is about to encounter. :evil:

So, Why is this huge obstruction, (that not only blind persons but the general public have to duck and dive on crowded high streets), suddenly OK?

The answer I guess is: This sign rakes in revenue for the Council and therefore somehow satisfies Health & Safety :evil:

John
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:58 pm

i heard the one about the spinning pavemant signs a while back also..
we used to have some years ago. theses things are heavy & spin on sealed bearing brackets. on high winds they could easy break an arm or a hip if wondered into.

stationary ones though? i agree with the rest of you. they make up another ban to line their own pockets, disguised as "in the publics best interest" so folk agree with what they do..

Anyway, simple answer to this. A chain attached to the base of the sign, and attach the other end to the building.

ive sussed it Dewi :P chain a PITBULL TERRIER to the A-board. when the council come to ask you to take it off, just say "its not mine, it has been there all day... you take it off the wee doggie" :wink: :lol:
<<

Bill.

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was considering chaining the shopfitter to it to be honest, he's a very big and scary man. The phantom A board nicker would be a brave chap to tackle him :wink:

I agree wholeheartedly that councils make these 'guidelines' and rules up to simply line their own pockets. Its just a shame that yet again businesses will suffer by either having a lack of pavement signage or a hefty bob or two to pay to the local rip-o... I mean council!

Cheers, Dewi
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:56 pm

I do appologise Phil, I'm sorry if you are offended by us disabled people, I do try to keep out of peoples way as much as possible though.
<<

Paul Goodwin

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:04 am

Interesting subject..

I put my A board up last week out the front of the garage and someone last night curled it up, now not sure if it's a drunk( pub over road) or someone else , not happy bunny , but if it was in teh wrong place all they had to do was ask me to move it ......
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:15 am

Hey Martin my old friend :D , I was just trying to ruffle a few feathers and rattle some cages by being a bit over the top as usual.. These ridiculous comments of mine aren't meant to be taken seriously :oops:
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:05 am

Thas alright Phil, we are all intitled to our own opinion and I'm not upset just because your opinion isnt the same as mine on this subject.
Everyone has their own views and should be able to freely state how they feel as you have done above.
<<

Tim Painter

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:54 am

Litigation Society.........

Thats all I have to say
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:22 am

Our local council have a policy not to allow these either, doesnt stop people putting them out though. I always warn my customers that they could get lifted as from time to time the council will suddenly have a drive on ridding fife of all A boards.
<<

John Singh

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:13 pm

Question:

Is the group of Council guys who remove 'A' Boards known as:

The 'A' Team?

John :D
<<

Tim Painter

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:50 pm

:lol:
John your jokes get worse not sure if its the joke or the fact that they are getting worse that brings a smile to my face....

anyway thanks John finished Friday with a smile (spin)

Return to General Sign Topics