Is Low Carbon /Environmentally Friendly Important

<<

Neil Menday

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:19 am

Is Low Carbon /Environmentally Friendly Important

Hello!

Im working on some new ideas for PR and Advertising info, and we're looking into reducing our carbon emissions, both from importing our machines and the materials they use and produce.

Question is, do you look for a company who are a low-carbon emissions type? Would you have a preference? Is it an important enough thing to spend my time on!?

Thanks lads n lasses!
Neil
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:56 pm

You're asking the man who's just bought a 4.6 litre Range Rover. *rofl*

Seriously, if it's worthwhile, then I'm all in favour, but one sniff of anyone jumping on the eco bandwagon, or eco bullshit, puts me right off them.
<<

Brian Hays

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:56 pm

John Childs wrote:but one sniff of anyone jumping on the eco bandwagon, or eco bullshit, puts me right off them.

Always put off then? :lol1:
<<

Peter Dee

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:04 pm

Neil, ask yourself the question, "do I really believe that the taxes we pay under the name of climate change and anything we do in this country will actually make any difference to the worlds climate"?

So, if you think along the same lines as myself then I wouldn't be impressed with a promotion for "environmentally friendly" signs in general.
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:23 pm

not much time for a proper reply but i would say YES, jump on the band wagon, gimmick for promotion or whatever it maybe deemed as.

please note: this thread must stay on topic and not veer onto what your products are/do.
<<

John Childs

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:45 pm

Brian Hays wrote:Always put off then? :lol1:

Not always Brian. Just usually. :(
<<

Tim Painter

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:11 pm

A lot of the litho print industry is moving towards greener setups, it may only be a case of time.

I'm a petrol head at heart, but we can't all ignore the fact that weather patterns have been changing. Why? Who knows I'm not a Rocket Scientist, but since I was a kid they have changed.......

Personally I think more pressure needs to be put on other nations before our own with all the crap they put in the clouds..
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:39 pm

I think there is a very real danger of being seen as hypocritical if you try and jump on the Low Carbon bandwagon. I'm as cynical as the next man and despair at firms of solicitors and finance companies that claim to be low carbon users. If they were heavy industry firms I might be impressed but how can a Solicitors office claim to be carbon friendly. It's ludicrous

I realised that there was something deeply flawed in our entire finance system when I discovered a few years ago that the trade in Carbon units is a multimillion pound business. An industry built on sand. The emperor's new clothes.

Yes I do agree that we have experienced climate change - but I think it's more likely to be caused by the sun than by cows f@rting as some fools would have us believe.

Remember the millennium bug? We all got conned then as well :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:50 pm

I am low carbon, I stopped having barbecues and setting off fireworks years ago,

But when China, India and the USA do their bit. I may be convinced its a good thing :D

Peter
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:52 pm

well we have been subcontracting to a UV printer who uses 'recycling' as a method of advertising and when I been in their premises I am impressed with how many ways they got to be 'green printers'
For instance, they were using backing paper and wrapping my prints in them
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Dave Rowland wrote:well we have been subcontracting to a UV printer who uses 'recycling' as a method of advertising and when I been in their premises I am impressed with how many ways they got to be 'green printers'
For instance, they were using backing paper and wrapping my prints in them

Dave,
that may not mean they are carbon friendly. just passing their waste onto you to get rid of :D
just adding to the amount of backing paper that you cant recycle?

Peter
<<

John Callaghan

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:47 pm

I was asked by my 'big' customer for a statement of my green credentials. They now boast that their suppliers are environmentally sound. Jolly good, its good for their business and for mine. The only real difference to my business was that I was 'forced' to buy an eco solvent printer (Someone please tell me definitively is 'eco' short for ECOnomy or ECOlogy????). I also was able to cut down on packaging & finishing - benefits us both. Its a fact of life that all industrial / business processes use energy and produce waste. I try to minimise both for many reasons but not least that I can see climate change happening around me and as the father of 3 young children I don't want to see any more of it! So, to get back on topic, I'm as green and carbon neutral as possible because that's what the market dictates. A good point from Peter; China is expanding at such a rate that even if everyone in Britain was to completely switch off all energy tomorrow in 56 (I think I recall) days China will produce the equivalent power. "We're doomed, Capt Mainwaring, doomed!"
<<

Neil Menday

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:58 pm

Peter Dee wrote:Neil, ask yourself the question, "do I really believe that the taxes we pay under the name of climate change and anything we do in this country will actually make any difference to the worlds climate"?

So, if you think along the same lines as myself then I wouldn't be impressed with a promotion for "environmentally friendly" signs in general.

I would say you're maybe looking at it in the wrong way.

For sure, what we do or even what we are doing might not affect climate change or cutting carbon emissions might not make any difference, but in business terms there are perks, promotional incentives and in PR terms it can work extremely well to make the 'Green Pound' start spending.

Unfortunately PR and Marketing isnt always entirely about our own opinion!
<<

Martin Oxenham

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:31 pm

Go for it Neil ! I've already given my opinion on global warming in another thread (That big ball of fire in the sky is to blame ). But Green is big big business and governments are into it big so its not going away. Whole industries have been built on green issues and billions are spent producing leaflets made from trees etc telling us not to use trees etc. So why not jump on the band wagon it will always be good for your business image.
(You don't really have to believe it though).
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:48 pm

That's the problem as I see it Martin. It is big business and it is a band wagon. It's also a bit cynical to use this as a means of promoting your business if you're not actually sincere about it.

I don't just mean companies they can be forgiven (they have to make a profit after all) But governments and political parties have no excuse.!!

Sorry (puppy-eyes)

Return to General Sign Topics