my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Phills book?

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:21 pm

Robert Lambie wrote:This thread was loaded 10 days ago...
Posted: 31 May 2009 15:12

it is just approaching 5000 views in that time, thats something like nearly "500 vies per day!"

has to be one of the top 5 most viewed signextra posts yet...
i know there are others with many more, but they have been loaded for months now... :D

I hope Phill is paying the going rate for the advertisement :D

Peter
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Peter Normington wrote:
Robert Lambie wrote:This thread was loaded 10 days ago...
Posted: 31 May 2009 15:12

it is just approaching 5000 views in that time, thats something like nearly "500 vies per day!"

has to be one of the top 5 most viewed signextra posts yet...
i know there are others with many more, but they have been loaded for months now... :D

I hope Phill is paying the going rate for the advertisement :D

Peter

No Peter, Phill did not ask me if he could promote his book in anyway.

It must be about a year and a half ago, maybe more when he asked me what i thought about the idea of book on how to setup a sign business? I thought it was a very good idea... Phill had already written a book based on KitCars so i also was very interested in how he went about it. because at the time, some may remember i was considering launching my own sign magazine, "On Signs".

Anyway, a few months ago Phill sent me the first draft of his book and asked me what i thought of it. some time later i asked him how he was going to promote it and had he considered the magazines etc I also said if he had any kind of editorial content to submit to the magazines then to send me it too for sign extra. which he did so...

Phill has been around the UKSG & UKSB from the beginning. He contributes by posting and helping others on a daily basis, submits tutorials off his own back, never has he been asked. has supported the site through thick and thin and been a very good freind to me in that time. I think giving his book coverage on UKSB is the very least the site could do in return for all his help over the past 7 years or so, don't you?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:14 pm

Yes Rob I agree entirely,
Phill is a respected and well deserving contributor to the boards.
I have a copy of his book, and if I was starting out, would certainly find the book a valuable reference.

It just does not lay good with me the way Phill has been allowed to promote his own product, in a way that is usually against board rules. just my opinion, and I know you dont agree with it, but hey what the hell,

I hope the book sells well and makes Phill a few quid, and at the same time helps the boards get more hits,

Peter
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:09 pm

Peter Normington wrote:Yes Rob I agree entirely

Peter Normington wrote:It just does not lay good with me the way Phill has been allowed to promote his own product

so that means you dont agree with me? :lol1: :lol1:

Peter Normington wrote:I hope the book sells well and makes Phill a few quid, and at the same time helps the boards get more hits.

Yes, so it's a win win situation all round... and judging by the response to the book, i think i can speak on behalf of everyone else that they dont have a problem and wish phill every success too.

see, we do agree with each other after all Peter. just not entirely. :wink:

anyway, lets not spoil this thread by taking it any further off topic.
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:15 pm

Peter Normington wrote:I have a copy of his book, and if I was starting out, would certainly find the book a valuable reference.

Thanks for the endorsement Peter - that's very kind of you :peek:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:22 pm

Rob,
its my position in life to question and promote debate.
:D
So is Phill now a supplier? he is selling his product, after all.

Peter
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:55 pm

but there is no room for debate Peter.
I think i explained myself pretty clearly why i made the decision and i don't see why anyone should have a problem with it.

Phill Fenton is not the first Sign Maker to gain from UKSB allowing the promotion of something they do or have created etc. and i am sure he wont be the last... the difference is, "i am the one approaching them/him, not vice versa".
<<

Jason Xuereb

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:26 am

Where have the rules been broken?

Phil never posted the thread on his book 'Signextra' did.

We post references to Mastering Layout all the time.
<<

Shane Drew

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:19 am

For the sake of argument, I understand where Peter is coming from, but as has been pointed out, Phill has paid his dues on the boards, and it wasn't as though he posted a thread here and benefited from it.

Sign Extra did the article, and has done articles about me too, which has been read in Australia and its raised my profile in the Australian sign community. That could be deemed as self promotion, as I supplied the articles in a round about way.

The down side is that every salesman that sells sign stuff also has read it, and I get calls from all sorts of people wanting me to buy something :evil:

That said, I wish Phill well, and don't see a conflict here at all, whether he paid his dues or not..
<<

Graeme Harrold

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:47 am

Rules are there for bending in a controlled manner. Phill has been a member for a long time as Rob pointed out and the success of Phill's book can only rub off on the boards. As far as I can see Phill has done no direct marketing, and is not a supplier...............otherwise where is the discount code :lol1:
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:45 am

hey, without me buttin in... both arguments are correct.

How about an PDF version for UKSG members :lol1: :lol1: UKSG Discount with PayPal payment gateway :cool:

I dont like paper books, I have tonnes here that I cant get rid off. Things like Guide to Office 95 or things that date.
<<

John Wilson

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:55 am

Dave Rowland wrote:hey, without me buttin in... both arguments are correct.

How about an PDF version for UKSG members :lol1: :lol1: UKSG Discount with PayPal payment gateway :cool:

I dont like paper books, I have tonnes here that I cant get rid off. Things like Guide to Office 95 or things that date.

You know what's going to happen if a .pdf is ever made :o Think I'd rather stick to the book..... I'm going to buy one once I get my new card through the post
<<

Brian Hays

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:00 am

I could think of nothing worse than reading a book from a computer screen. :o

Sorry Dave "if" you were serious crap idea mate! Plus as John has intimated some no mark would have it on ebay "buy now for 99p". (:)
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:44 pm

Indeed, whats the problem?

Is the author in it for the money or the fame?
<<

John Wilson

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Dave Rowland wrote:Indeed, whats the problem?

Is the author in it for the money or the fame?

Money? :lol1:

Lets be honest it would only take one person to buy it and "distribute it" widely on the net then i'm sure book sales would soon plummet
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:07 pm

hm would they?
You know Google Books got slated because it would ruin libraries etc. but i didn't see that. They done it quite well in the end, they miss out loads of pages from books that are not approved.

Anyway, when you publish a book, we had to make about 10-20 books and send them off to British Library and some of the other libraries as a requirement of publishing rules. So you should be able to go into Phill's local library and read the book :wink: :wink: :wink:
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:32 am

Dave Rowland wrote:Anyway, when you publish a book, we had to make about 10-20 books and send them off to British Library and some of the other libraries as a requirement of publishing rules. So you should be able to go into Phill's local library and read the book :wink: :wink: :wink:

You could - but you might have to wait months to get hold of the single copy, held by the British Library, that is already on a vast waiting list of "wanabee signmakers", that are too tight fisted to actually buy their own copy to read :-?

Far better surely, to buy a copy that is forever yours :D

:wink:
<<

Russell Huffer

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:55 am

I think it is great that a UKSB member has written a book about sign making and fully belive that UKSB should help him promote the book, it is not like this is his main stream business.

Imagine this from the other side, if the book had been written and published but no body on UKSB had been told, when eventually it came out most people would have felt annoyed to have been ignored and not given a chance to buy something that could help them move there business forward.

Only real rule broken as far as I can see is Rob has yet to catch up with Phils user id.

I for one wish Phil many sales of his book both through UKSB and other channels and thank him for taking the time to write it.

Regards

Russell.
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:29 am

it will be is main line of business soon, when he does write his biography and sits at SignUK with his own stand with and offers Show Discount, then I get a copy (on memory stick)
<<

Shane Drew

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:29 am

Is it going to be translated into English Phill? or just in the scottish lingo? :wink:
<<

John Singh

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:14 am

All the best Phill with your new book :)
<<

Andrew Boyle

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:46 pm

John Singh wrote:All the best Phill with your new book :)

Same from me :D :D

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat