my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

what are peoples views with using clear application tape?

<<

Adele Brennan

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:44 pm

what are peoples views with using clear application tape?

Just put vinyls on a van and used orafol clear application tape for first time.

I found the tape stuck too much to the vinyl and caused a lot of bubbling trying to remove it. There doesnt seem to be much flex in the clear tape compared to paper tape.

I was applying reflective vinyl which appears to be much finer and more stretchy than vinyls im used to using.

When I used paper tape vinyls seemed to go on no probs.

Has anyone else had this prob with clear app tape? or is it just my technique?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:49 pm

Adele,
I have never seen any advantage in using clear app tape.
more of a hindrance than a help, I would bin it, and just use normal paper
Peter
<<

Adele Brennan

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:54 pm

Thanks for that Pete.

Binning it was my thoughts today when I had to redo a whole side of a van :(

Yet another lesson learned.

BTW why do they sell the stuff when it's no use?
<<

Chris Wool

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:02 am

BTW why do they sell the stuff when it's no use?

small multi colour stuff can't think of any other. hate the stuff
<<

Paul Humble

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:10 am

I bought a roll of 305mm stuff a while ago and found it was only good for website URLs. Any large graphics I did gave me problems.
<<

Adele Brennan

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:39 am

Reflective vinyl looked great in end but too much work to get it perfect.

I was wrongly advised to use clear app paper. At least my list of do and dont is increasing!
<<

Cameron Steer

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:44 am

Hi Adele,

I think i remember speaking to you recently?.Advantages as follows just so you know,

2 year shelf life as opposed to 6 months.

Can be applied to Graphics and left on with no fear of the adhesive emulsifying, graphics can then be shipped and stored for longer periods before application. Same applies after application of vinyl to substrates such as foam / acm etc.

Overlaying different layers of film is much easier when you can see through it.

Lays flatter and not subject to moisture destabilization.

If its a new painted van its possible bubbles are caused by outgasing but application tape should always have a less aggressive tack to vinyl than the vinyl does to the surface , i would need to see it to be sure.

Hope you got it sorted now.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:47 am

i use clear without any problems for laying up, have done so for years, it just takes a bit of getting used to :D

nik
<<

Adele Brennan

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:49 am

Thanks for that Cameron but I wasnt implying that I was wrongly advised by Europoint. Hope u dont think I was refering to u?!

Just experience here tells me clear app tape is not useful for vehicle graphics unless they are quite small or are on reflective vinyl.

Paper app tape much better and more forgiving!!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:52 am

Nicola McIntosh wrote:i use clear without any problems for laying up, have done so for years, it just takes a bit of getting used to :D

nik

Nick
both you and Cameron say this is an advantage, can you explain why?

I dont need clear app tape to lay up accurately, but we all have our own systems

Peter
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:52 am

I think it's a case of using the right product for the particular circumstances. Clear tape serves a particular function - if you don't actually comprehend what that function is that's your fault not the manufacturers or suppliers fault
<<

Cameron Steer

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:53 am

Hi Adele,

Didn't think that for a minute it was something else we were talking about i think?, you are right its not for stretching and as its PVC is worse for disposal.

All the best
<<

Nicola McIntosh

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:57 am

peter i work at a very fast pace and laying up with clear without reg. marks is a doddle, use paper 90% of the time, as phil says i personally get on with what suits me best :D

nik
<<

James Martin

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 am

Use a bit of clear as well, in fact got a bit at a reduced price from Euro recently due to stock surplus I think.

Do prefer working with the paper mind you not forgetting that its usually cheaper.

If it didn't exist you would wonder why not.
Last edited by James Martin on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Adele Brennan

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 am

Only point I was trying to make was that clear app tape works ok with ordinary vinyl. Doesnt work so great with the metallic stuff cause its so fine vinyl it's very stretchy.

I would prefer to work with paper vinyl..can see through it enough even when doing more than one colour. At least it stretches and works with you.
<<

James Langton

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:20 am

Just to add to the list.

Clear application tape works with any vinyl weather it be reflective or metallic. It actually works better on metallic than paper tape.

The reason you cant stretch it one its a pvc but also clear tape was made for registration so if it kept stretching it wouldn't register very well with other vinyls.

Clear is also my preferred choice when working with a long horizontal piece of vinyl as it tends to not slope away as much as paper.

But for general sign work paper works fine. Just bring clear in when you think you may need it.

James
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:05 am

Clear application tape is very good for laying up multiple layers of vinyl.
depending on how you apply graphics to a vehicle, i.e. if you mark the vehicle and apply in one go, then again, its very good for this sort of alignment purpose and all without registration marks. though i know many folk use both clear app and reg marks.

personally, i cant work with the stuff, for me its not to do with it not stretching or the like, for me its two things. i dont like how my squeeegee glides over its surface and i particularly dont like that i cant tear it or puncture it with the edge of my squeegee whilst working. but these are just self preferences, i can see benefits in both clear and peper app tape... but as i said, i prefer the paper.
<<

Brian Little

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:12 pm

well i have to say i like using it .Never had any real issues with it with bubbles or creases . i do note that there is one ive been sent in the past that has the texture of sellotape which isnt as good as the textured one .Great for lining up silver lettering on a white van onto a shade . having said that i wouldnt use it for larger graphics
<<

Steve Underhill

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:40 pm

I use paper for every day stuff, and clear for layering small decals & logos etc but paper tape can be used just as well.
The only real disadvantage is if you apply wet it would take longer to remove if you couldnt get all the water out as it wont absorb any app fluid, and you cant wet it to speed things up.
Apparently you can get tearable clear tape but I have never used any.
I also find on longer graphics it falls down from the roller easier and isnt as stiff as paper therefore can fall down onto your vinyl and cause creasing when you smooth down, but that maybe just the brands I have used.
I tend to use a felt squeegee on it too as plastic ones can dig in.
<<

Martin Oxenham

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:05 pm

It all depends on what your used to, we use clear textured tape all the time and the only time we use paper is wet on glass otherwise we do everything in clear.
<<

Simon Stonuary

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:31 pm

generally use r tape paper except when layering small items, for me clear is not rigid enough and tunnels far too easy upon application also can run off over long lengths , as said before each to its own job
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:22 am

I use a mix of paper & clear, depending on the job. Clear is great on white vinyl, when it's difficult to see under paper. I also use clear when customers are applying graphics themselves.
The only thing is, as Simon said, that the clear tunnels if left for any time, something to do with the vinyl backing paper being moisture absorbent, and clear tape not, so I don't leave vinyl taped overnight, or it's sure to be 'wavy' in the morning.

Return to Vinyl