• TIMELINE

Curtain side preparation and cost

<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:17 pm

Curtain side preparation and cost

hi guys,

Have a curtain side to do and never done one before, its a used truck so im guessing the curtain will be pretty grubby.

how do you prep it other than degrease? does it need an IPA wipedown and do you key it somehow?

I would appreciate any advice as not sure whether vinyl will be ok or if i should venture into using mask and paint.

would banner vinyl survive or does it need to be the likes of apa truck vinyl

thanks in advance
gary
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi Gary firstly i would say that you will need a few bodies to enable you fit decals to a curtain as you need two people inside the trailer holding a large sheet of ply / mdf giving you a flat surface to press against.As for degreasing i use a alcohol based wipe , doing a test in the corner before i start ,just in case.personally I dont think banner vinyl will be up to the job, apa is very good & sticks like s**t to a blanket
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:38 pm

cheers simon, i was considering removing it, if thats not possible will definately use your top tip re the mdf.

any idea how much it is a metre at 610mm? not used apa before and would like to give customer ball park price this weekend if poss
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:13 pm

Oh dear.

Banner vinyl will NOT do the job. It can't take the constant flexing of opening and closing the curtain. You need proper truck curtain vinyl as sold by Avery and APA.

Even then, then adhesive is only meant to be used on new curtains. It is something to do with the polymers migrating to the surface and it is not reliable on old ones.

If you have the choice, go with mask and paint, otherwise leave it alone. It will come back to bite you in the @rse, and wind up costing you far more in rectification than the value of the job.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:41 pm

Agree with John on this but make sure if you go down the 'paint' route you use INK and not paint.

Try Apollo or Sericol for the ink.

Return to Vinyl