my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Help i need to get some work!!

<<

Mark Arnold

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Help i need to get some work!!

I have only done one racecar a bmw m3 and some emblems for a local football team that my grandad manages. I have one royale race car to do but bodywork still not ready.

i need advice on what type of work to try for and best ways to go about getting jobs.

i thought id get work from advert in our newspaper for van sign writing but no joy still.

i have a bobcat60 and signlab8..

Any advice greatly apreciated

Thanks Mark..
<<

Aaron Powell

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:01 pm

go around your local shops and see if they need signs doing at a cheaper cost then you can put your own sign up while your doing it and also ask local factory's see if they need some signage..

Don't think that a ad in the paper will work you need to do some leg work with it..

ps my advice is keep knocking on doors .......
<<

Mark Arnold

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:12 pm

thanks il get out and try it..
<<

Dave Harrison

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:35 pm

Other than owning a cutter and signlab what else do you have ? . Do you have a portfolio of work ? Do you have any business cards ? Do you have a website, Do you have previous customers you can call up and see if they need any signs ?
If you are starting from scratch then its a hard slog, you need to be getting out and about, looking for business premises without signs or evidence of new businesses starting up. It's not rocket science, just a knack of spotting opportunities !
If you are fairly established then you should already know the score there is no magic solution to getting new customers !
<<

Ian Johnston

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:56 pm

sounds like very expensive software for a cheap cutter?
<<

Neil Kelly

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:58 pm

Phone 10 Builders introduce yourself as a local sign writer thats trying to expand in the area. start with the builders that are advertising in the paper you advertised in as chances are they have seen your add when they checked their add out. Tell them you are doing a promotion free correx site board with every van livery and untill the end of Feb your offering free design service.
if by any slim chance that you dont get a job Phone another 10 and keep going untill you get one.

let me know how you get on Good luck Neil....
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:41 pm

Just a suggestion - maybe your advert or the target market were 'wrong' for each other.

What were you offering?

Bobcats seem an OK entry level plotter (as they are sold by some reputable companies). Signlab 8 - heard it's a great program with loads of features (I'm on version 7.0) - costs a fair bit so upgrading hasn't been an option yet.
<<

Ian Jenkin

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:43 pm

Can i be honest?

Well, im going to be.

Make sure whatever you do, you do not resort to dropping leaflets in doors. Its the surefire way to end your business.

Instead, allow people to put a face or a voice to the brand/image you are pushing. Be friendly, approachable and honest.
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Ian Jenkin wrote:Can i be honest?

Well, im going to be.

Make sure whatever you do, you do not resort to dropping leaflets in doors. Its the surefire way to end your business.

Instead, allow people to put a face or a voice to the brand/image you are pushing. Be friendly, approachable and honest.
Not that I've done blanket leaflet drops...maybe popped something into vacant shops once in a while...or even done a 'meet and greet' if I've been up somewhere rural that I see potential in, but I don't see how leaflet drops (on commercial properties) will kill a business. you might not GET anything from it, but a single leaflet lying on the floor doesn't make people anti-you. Unwanted junk mail goes in the bin along with the curry menus & ironing services...
<<

Aaron Powell

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Ian Johnston wrote:sounds like very expensive software for a cheap cutter?

Everybody starts somewhere ..
<<

Ian Jenkin

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:59 pm

David, what im meaning is...

People see a leaflet on the floor and immediately think one of either two things - CHEAP or JUNK.

Steady promotion of your business in a well mannered and positive way will get the ball rolling.

Give people a name they can trust.

I can only speak as i find, but as we have a rapidly growing Sign Company and a national mail order lighting company under our umbrella, i feel my pointers are valid in Mark's position. I am known "Daaan Saaf" as a leading brand consultant, for businesses and companies of all sizes, so Mark please get in touch if you require any guidance whatsoever, im here to help! :D
<<

John Wilson

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:18 pm

Aaron Powell wrote:
Ian Johnston wrote:sounds like very expensive software for a cheap cutter?

Everybody starts somewhere ..

Think Ian is meaning the other way round and not having a go about the cheap cutter :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:28 pm

Ian Jenkin wrote:David, what im meaning is...

People see a leaflet on the floor and immediately think one of either two things - CHEAP or JUNK.

Steady promotion of your business in a well mannered and positive way will get the ball rolling.

Give people a name they can trust.

I can only speak as i find, but as we have a rapidly growing Sign Company and a national mail order lighting company under our umbrella, i feel my pointers are valid in Mark's position. I am known "Daaan Saaf" as a leading brand consultant, for businesses and companies of all sizes, so Mark please get in touch if you require any guidance whatsoever, im here to help! :D

Could Mark afford your consultancy fees Ian, given your title,
or are you offering free help?

Just thought i would ask

Peter
<<

Aaron Powell

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Oh sorry
<<

Ian Jenkin

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Peter, i never charge a penny.

Never have done, never will.

I used to just advise on school and council imaging, if you like, if they were looking to push something like new skills to the local area, or a council looking to push a park and ride scheme.

Its something i really enjoy, as its usually alongside friends, or people i have a close working relationship with, so i never would like to charge as the fun aspect for me would go out the window.

And in all honesty, that little bit of guidance whether my opinions are good, ok, bad or terrible, helps me keep fresh for my own work.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:03 pm

That's very commendable Ian,
but perhaps you could share your advice here, as many others could be looking to increase their customer base. not just new start ups

Today I received two leaflets through my door, one from the council, and one from my local MP,

so shall I take it they have wasted their time?

Peter
<<

Ian Jenkin

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:14 pm

Peter, where did those leaflets end up?

I dont mean to sound like im preaching, but i can only speak on the successes and failures ive experienced.

I think direct marketing needs to be more personal. Instead of a drop leaflet, whatever happened to a crisp mailshot, addressed correctly with a post code. It shows time and effort.

As a local sportsman, i visit many venues over the course of the football season and meet many interesting people. Get your face out there, strike a deal, get your board around a sports ground in exchange for a discounted board rate or freebies. We've done extremely well in this credit crunch of taking on the steady and constant flow of advertising boards at all our local grounds....but get in there first!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:26 pm

Ian Jenkin wrote:Peter, where did those leaflets end up?

I dont mean to sound like im preaching, but i can only speak on the successes and failures ive experienced.

I think direct marketing needs to be more personal. Instead of a drop leaflet, whatever happened to a crisp mailshot, addressed correctly with a post code. It shows time and effort.

Well the one from My MP I will certainly study,
And the one from the council also as it is an information leaflet,

Its the way that they are presented that gets them noticed above the other crap from block pavers, and most takeaways.

postcodes and names doesn't necasarily mean any effort has been taken, just a bought list.

Only my opinion though, but Pizza Hut also do a lot of leaflet drops, they dont seem to be doing to badly?

Peter
<<

John Thomson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:31 pm

Peter Normington wrote:Today I received two leaflets through my door, one from the council, and one from my local MP,

so shall I take it they have wasted their time?

Peter

sounds as though an election is on the cards in your neck of the woods Peter :D

Leaflets are OK........if you happen to drop a sign leaflet through the door of someone who is looking to have sign work done you may just get lucky.......I would think introducing yourself and handing over a card along with a leaflet and getting the chance to engage in a conversation with a potential customer might leave you standing out a little more than your competition.

John
<<

Ian Jenkin

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:33 pm

Blatantly Pizza Hut would do well from a leaflet drop, as does many a take a way.

But in the sign trade, my personal opinion is you would not.

Just for numbers, i recently read that in Cornwall, only 5 in a 1000 council leaflets (general ones) get read for more than 5 seconds.
<<

Paul Humble

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:33 pm

I disagree about the leaflets. We did a leaflet drop a few weeks ago, we got a grand total of 5 jobs from 1000 leaflets, not much by the look of it but now consider that those same jobs totaled approximately £2200 revenue when the leaflets only cost me £49. Now bear in mind the amount of "word of mouth" jobs that have arisen from those 5 jobs (8 of which I know of) and you soon see that leaflets do serve a purpose.

Also worth considering is when you do one shop in one street or precinct, type up a letter stating you have worked in the area and encourage them to go look at your workmanship, sign the letter yourself, staple your business card to it and all of a sudden the letter becomes a little more personal. We have now done 4 jobs in one street within 4 months, again, all because of leaflets/letters.

Just an educated opinion.
<<

Ian Jenkin

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:36 pm

Paul, funnily enough i just mention 5 in a 1000.

WHat sort of sized company are you?

Cracking ideas with the letters, its that personal feeling that lasts, and creates trust between you, the client and their cash!
<<

Steve Underhill

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:43 pm

Well, im going to be.

I did a leaflet drop for the other business I have computer repairs and it doubled business, fair enough different market and you aren't targeting homeowners, but a leaflet drop to business premises can do the trick, not many people have time to go in and introduce themselves and chat away, put it this way it cant do any harm.

All of my sign and garment printing comes from word of mouth. but could do with more so am writing covering letters and dropping into premises.
(well our salesman is)
<<

Ian Jenkin

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:47 pm

Steve, horses for courses.

I still feel leaflet drops cheapens a business, in which i mean yours or mine, to a level it doesnt need to be.

Again personal opinion, personal experiences.
:roll:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:48 pm

No John, no election due, just his regular update about local issues, and how he is trying to tackle them. Yes he is selling, but the leaflet stood out to start with.

Ian, like any marketing tool, leaflets need to be used correctly.Its no good a sign firm dropping 5000 leaflets on a council estate, but pizza hut would profit from that demographic group.

Knocking on doors is not effective if you take it literally.
I certainly frown upon anyone that turns up at mine unexpected.

So a leaflet drop at targeted potential customers, followed by a phone call for a few days later, as a follow up, to get an appointment, may well prove more efficient.

Their are many tools for marketing a business, its just knowing which are right for you, and using them correctly, is it not?

Peter
<<

Ian Jenkin

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:50 pm

Peter of course, thats what i was trying to aim at.... even if i have been as clear as a pint of guiness! :cool:
<<

Harry Cleary

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:52 pm

Guinness!! :( :evil:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:52 pm

Two pints Please
Peter
<<

Russell Huffer

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:06 pm

I'll take a pint as well...

Just done a leaflet drop around my local industrial estate last weekend and already had a couple of calls as a result, so this weekend i am going round the town, this may in some peoples minds make my company look cheap but it is working and in my opinion what gets me new work is good.

Any way to go back to an earlier part of the thread we must be a cheap company because we can not afford signlab or flexi so all our cutting is done using cutting master.

Regards

Russell.
<<

Steve Underhill

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:36 pm

Peter N just reiterated my point, targeting the right customer is very beneficial in a leaflet drop as in what I did with the PC repair business, next drop I do with the letters will be just to businesses only for signage and promotional stuff.

Sky TV, Spar, Morrisons etc all leaflets that come through my door, sometimes Ill drive down there to get a deal on wine or beer or steak or whatever, I usually shop at Asda.
I don't not go in some sort of protest at them cheapening their business, guess people just see it differently, I see it as initiative and making people aware of services they may not otherwise be aware of, last time I did it I had people coming in with computers thanking me immensely for dropping the leaflet in as they had been doing a 20 mile round trip to the guy in the next town, and I was saving them time and money.
Like you say its how people perceive it, but if people don't like it they have a bin or a recycling bag for the bit of paper or card it comes through the letterbox on eh?
<<

Matt Hards

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:48 pm

I also do leaflet drops every now and then, no matter if im busy or quiet. My flyer is based on the last three shops fascias i have done locally, then i drop them to every shop in my local town. I do this because I want people to put my name to my signs. I think people see a new sign, and unless they see it fitted then they may never know who did it. By doing this, it will stick in there minds(hopefully) until they need similar services.
Just my take on it.
<<

James Langton

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:06 pm

I agree with leaflet drops and direct mail. As long as you design a good leaflet and get it printed on something substantial. Then I cant see why you shouldn't drop it through a empty shop etc.

I haven't been to keen on knocking doors unless I can see an opportunity. I.e van needs sign writing. But even then I normally give them a call instead of seeing them as you always seem to miss the owner.

As said before its about spotting opportunity's and also just letting anybody you start talking do that you do signs etc.

Everybody you do a job for or get into conversation with is a talking advert for you (hopefully a positive one).
<<

Paul Humble

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:13 am

Ian Jenkin wrote:
WHat sort of sized company are you?

One man band trading for less than a year but with 20k worth of investment to try to recuperate.

Its a double edged sword with us, we also offer a business card/flyer service so I totally disagree that flyers cheapen the business.

We also had a UKSG member print us some stickers to stick on any empty shop we come across to advertise our services to new tennants.
<<

John Singh

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:49 am

Start simple!

Offer local shops to do their window graphics for a set price (barring logos)
Of course you'll need to work out the vinyl needed and time etc
Perhaps put a max on the number of letters so that you don't end up doing 'War & Peace'
<<

Jason Xuereb

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:20 am

umm I'm going to go against the grain here. You really need to step back and see what you offer. Why are you better then everyone else? Who are you trying to serve? If your answer is: everyone body in business then that's the wrong answer. You should be very SPECIFIC about who your customers are. Once you know who they are you can analyse how to COMMUNICATE to them.
<<

Ian Jenkin

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:34 am

I agree with you Jason.
<<

Jeremy Howes

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:01 am

Give them something of value that will be kept, instead of leaflets I use printed coasters and a visit, you will be more selective in targeting potential customers and your details are usually displayed on a desk for many more to see.

Cold call with a gift !

Jeremy
<<

Peter Mindham

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:27 am

Well, im going to be.

You seem to have changed tack slightly.We have gone from a sure fire wau to end your business to whatever is right for your business.
Honesty, any method of positive promotion is good for a business if it builds brand awareness to your potential market. I have used and will continue to use door drops for my businesses as they are a cost effective way of brand building and gaining new business. They work and they work for all types of business.

Peter
<<

Ian Jenkin

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:40 am

Peter, i feel for the chap in question, in my humble opinion, leaflet dropping isnt a long term achiever.

Again just personal opinion.
<<

Ian Muir

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:43 am

Seems my original post has been 'disappeared', although all it meant to do was take a humorous slant at Marks initial post asking for broad information on how to make his first million from picking the brains of people who have worked hard to grow their businesses and at the same time indicating that he is starting out with a cheap (albeit not as cheap as some) chinky plotter and pirated software. Bearing in mind the recent discussions relating to bedroom start ups I thought my post was on topic.

I was going to post that you can stick UKSB where the sun don't shine for denying my right of free speech (no profanity or sexual stuff and not accusing Mark as some have of being some sort of cheap cheat), but the site is a good source of info so I forgive whoever censored my post without first informing me :lol1: ... in any case I feel vindicated because the topic has certainly gone along the lines, in places, that I first imagined it would.

Anyways... I hope Mark is getting some good ideas from this topic.

As to leaflet drops I believe Ian is way off the mark, sure for an established business a poorly designed leaflet has a negative impact but for a new start up then leafleting efficiently does work. I relocated recently and leaflet dropped any empty premises I could find over weeks and weeks and slowly as premises became occupied I have had several jobs from these leaflets, which in turn lead to other work of course.

Cold calling I will never do, I dislike people contacting me about stuff when I have not asked for information and politely tell them that I will never ever use their services even if it is a good offer simply because they thought they could tempt me by invading my privacy, business or personal.

Ian :lol1:
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:56 am

And I thought I was the only one that was grumpy :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
<<

Mark Arnold

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks i was inspired yesterday by the messages and went out looking for places that looked like they needed work on with intention on photographing and sending some designs to the owners,
i ended up in a old barbershop and have got a signboard 3000x400 and frosted windows to do now :D

By sounds of it signlab8 was a good choice lol,
BTW im not workin out my bedroom lmfao
my dad had brought the cutter with intention of doing graphics on the racecars he builds as he was paying out silly money weren't happy with the products. i believe the guy who sold cutter recommended signlab to him.
<<

Ian Johnston

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:00 pm

Mark Arnold wrote:
my dad had brought the cutter with intention of doing graphics on the racecars he builds as he was paying out silly money weren't happy with the products. i believe the guy who sold cutter recommended signlab to him.

You'll soon find out that it's that silly money you'll need to survive!!!! :o
<<

Brian Hays

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:04 pm

Mark Arnold wrote:Thanks i was inspired yesterday by the messages and went out looking for places that looked like they needed work on with intention on photographing and sending some designs to the owners,
i ended up in a old barbershop and have got a signboard 3000x400 and frosted windows to do now :D

Did he recommend Signlab purchased from eBay or a perfectly legitimate source? (-)
<<

Brian Hays

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:05 pm

What is silly money btw? it's all rather serious stuff as far as I am concerned. Especially given the current economic climate. :wink:
<<

Mark Arnold

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:16 pm

its the real deal signlab got security dongle and they helped me out setting it up on laptop..
And as for the the silly prices notta clue?
<<

Brian Hays

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:17 pm

Good stuff pleased to hear it.
<<

Aaron Powell

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:06 pm

Cool
once you have done the sign post a picture up on here ..

We would like to see it .

Also don't stop keep knocking on doors and show them what you can do
<<

Paul Humble

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Ian Muir wrote:
Cold calling I will never do, I dislike people contacting me about stuff when I have not asked for information and politely tell them that I will never ever use their services even if it is a good offer simply because they thought they could tempt me by invading my privacy, business or personal.

I agree with this sentiment 100%, I hate it when people cold call on me, whether it be in person or by phone and I instantly get a bad impression of that company for invading my space without my permission. Thats the reason I wont cold call and ill always stick with the letter and leaflet drops. The coaster idea is a good one although nowhere near as cost effective, but very good if you are sepcifically aiming for one or two companies work.

And for what its worth ive just got another 2 jobs in today as a result of our last and now very successful leaflet drop.
<<

Karl Williams

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:28 am

All forms of marketing work if done correctly. Some work better than others. Leaflets served their purpose well for me 4 years ago.

The truth is that many firms pay thousands out every year on advertising but never keep tabs on which ads actually work. Write down ten ways of marketing the business and try and implement them but don't go silly and spend a fortune. Realistically the way we advertise in Nottingham may work well but may not work lets say in Birmingham. I started by walking and door knocking. I sold my car to buy a typewriter to type introductory letters. Out of 200 letters sent out 6 jobs came in. With the money I bought another car. What I'm trying to say is don't think the work will just drop on your lap because one leaflet drop's been carried out.
<<

Karl Williams

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:34 am

Paul Humble wrote:
Ian Muir wrote:

I agree with this sentiment 100%, I hate it when people cold call on me, whether it be in person or by phone and I instantly get a bad impression of that company for invading my space without my permission. Thats the reason I wont cold call and ill always stick with the letter and leaflet drops. The coaster idea is a good one although nowhere near as cost effective, but very good if you are sepcifically aiming for one or two companies work.

And for what its worth ive just got another 2 jobs in today as a result of our last and now very successful leaflet drop.

Cold calling can be a good form of marketing. Only a small minority of people hate it. The truth is though it works so for the sake of p!ssing off a few carry on with cold calling. It's your business and it's up to you to build and protect it.
<<

Ian Muir

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:40 am

I agree cold calling can be an effective form of getting business Karl, I also agree that only a small proportion of businesses hate it, a larger proportion dislike it, an even larger proportion feel uneasy or intimidated by it.

I feel sure that your approach to cold calling is a friendly and non itimidating one but the same cannot be said for a lot of companies.

I am a trained scientist and one method of testing an idea or action is to view it from both extremes.. i.e. if everybody used cold calling then what then, businesses would grind to a halt under the sheer weight of usually irrelevent approaches.

The government has put in place measures to protect private householders from all forms of cold calling, I imagine that there is a reason for this.

<<

Gary Birch

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 am

For what its worth I think as Karl said any form of marketing works if done correctly. You need to identify your target audience and then choose a marketing strategy to suit.

For example there is no point in sending a letter to a boy racer who wants a few stickers for his car but likewise leaflet dropping will very rarely work if targeting large companies.

I would choose an area like builders or tradesmen and then try and find out what works for them.

Cold calling can and does work if only to get a name for future contact by letter or telephone. It is much easier t get this when face to face with a receptionist rather than stopping her answering other calls.

When I was in sales we used to cold call by way of calling at the reception and asking for a compliment slip and a name of who was responsible for deciding who to buy from, depending on the response it doesn't hurt to see if you can grab a couple of minutes of their time.

Cold callers who try and hard sell put people off cold calling and cold callers but done in the right way it works better than any other way.

In my experience it does anyway.

Cheers

Gary
<<

Cheryl Smith

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:42 am

I have to agree with karl.

If you mean cold calling as in flogging signs on the phone from your butt in an office, picking out numbers from the yellow pages without trying to find out anything about the business you are calling...i could see why you'd get a frosty response.

I see calling to be a process of including things such as journey plans of people to visit, by phoning in advance to find out the names of who Id need to see and the best time to find them in the office - showroom etc. and being prepared as in having a portfolio of my work and a knowledge of how signage is being used in there business currently....(by looking around!) and a suggestion of how you could offer something new.

I spent years building up my business from cold calling. It is only the first walk through the door which is cold. From there you should be fortunate enough to meet the faces of the names on your list ...even if it is to find out that 'now is not a good time' that I would call back again in a week as you were on this day 'in the area'. and if you were lucky..to be able to pinpoint an appointment. But you WOULD HAVE TO go back in a week. People will begin to recognise you.

Cold calling is scary, but it also builds confidence and a sense that you are DOING something to build your business...even if you are not instantly getting orders...you will be getting recognised and remembered and your signwritten van is getting about and people will be expecting to see you if you are regular.

People will find out who YOU are, as well as you them. I found some abbrasive people end up being really nice (and not only that but large order placers!) as that is their job to weed out the wheat from the chaf....anyone can pick up a phone...not everyone will poke in their noses in the door to ask if there is anything you could do for them week in week out.

As far as i am concerned, you are offering a service, and it is the best why on earth would they not want to discover it and add it to their arsenal of selling tools for their business?

If I had the misfortune to meet someone completely rude........their loss. Why offer valuable effort and time better placed with other businesses who see that you really care about them and their growth.

If you are having a quiet spell...get planning and get out there. Personally I admire fellow sales people who make the effort to get it right and who sincerely would like my business... to them it must be worth having.

Good luck
Cheryl
<<

Jeremy Howes

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:07 am

Beautifully put Cheryl, this is my chosen method of marketing, leaflet drops can work for some but it seems a bit faceless to me.

Jeremy
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Well, I have just read almost all of these posts and Hey I've learned something new so thanks guys. My worst downfall is the fact that i cant market either of my business's as I have not got a clue were to start. 90% of my business is fitting for larger companies with the other 10% being engraving and promotional, that is all done via word of mouth. I have plotter and flexi, .The thing I've learned is Empty Units thanks for that, There has been a stack just build and ready for tenants time to try a leaflet drop.
My problem, not enough signage of my own to use as samples, so good people, what would you do ?
<<

Nigel Hindley

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:04 pm

Leaflet drops work - its a fact! I don't know how it can be denied? (and Steven I think if your leaflet is designed well it doesn't matter that they have no examples of your work on)

Whilst I have done cold calling too I do think it smacks of desperation for an established company (but entrepreneurial if you have just started) I am usually pretty rude to people who invade my time and privacy without notice particularly on the phone and usually ask them why after they have just told me that they are a well established company that they have to phone strangers to get work)

In the past when I have done leaflet drops I am never pushy always just 'hi - can I leave this with you?' you then never annoy anyone that's busy and you can gauge whether its OK to talk some more and most will ask oh what is it you do?
<<

John Hughes

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Business is like a Wheelbarrow.

You have to push it to make it work.
Sometimes its full of money.
Sometimes full of sh*t.
The bigger it is the more help you need to push it.
And perhaps the hardest part, is the constant need to refill it.

john
<<

Pryam Carter

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:02 pm

Well put John Hughes!!!!
<<

Ian Muir

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:34 pm

Well put....... well put???? Sorry, sounds like one of those gobbly-de gook- management mantras you buy from a station platform booksellers for 3.95 to try keep you occupied while you're on the train heading to your next '''important''' business meeting.... for example John mentions in his poem 'And perhaps the hardest part, is the constant need to refill it '..what with shi..t ......or money?

ian :lol1: :lol1:
<<

Nigel Hindley

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:42 pm

John Hughes wrote:Business is like a Wheelbarrow.

You have to push it to make it work.
Sometimes its full of money.
Sometimes full of sh*t.
The bigger it is the more help you need to push it.
And perhaps the hardest part, is the constant need to refill it.

john

What happens when you get a puncture?
<<

David Rowland

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 pm

go to a gym to push it quicker
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:58 pm

sell it for scrap, well at least you will get some money
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:38 am

What you need is 'some blue sky thinking' and 'daisy fresh ideas' to help 'understand your demographic' and 'develop market target strategic ideology vis-a-vis solution manage the development cost-base on par to integrate core solution providers at a grass-roots level'.

...take one load of 'management' buzz-words and make stuff up!!
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:40 am

That'll impress Ian :lol1: :lol1:
<<

Nigel Hindley

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:50 am

David Rogers wrote:What you need is 'some blue sky thinking' and 'daisy fresh ideas' to help 'understand your demographic' and 'develop market target strategic ideology vis-a-vis solution manage the development cost-base on par to integrate core solution providers at a grass-roots level'.

...take one load of 'management' buzz-words and make stuff up!!

Dave,

you need this http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:54 am

I always get a response from leafleting. It needs to be well designed and to-the-point, so at least they get what it is you're selling immediately before they have the chance to chuck it. If they are even thinking about a sign, they will call. My website is on there in big bold letters, and after a leaflet run I always have a large uptick in my website visits. My website is pretty eye-catching - customers always have good things to say about it, so it's very beneficial to drive them there. I always get a boost in business after leafleting, and sometimes the rise in business is not from the area I leafleted, but from a second party who was told about me by someone I did leaflet. Sometimes people call from a leaflet a couple years on; they tell me I left a leaflet there 2 years ago but only now do they need a sign.
Leafleting does not drive my business - the website does, but when I'm slow and need to feel like I'm doing something for my business, I pick a part of town and do it, and it always gets results.
The best time I find to leaflet is early on Sunday morning - that way you don't have to spend time talking to people who have just poured their morning coffee and want to chat, but don't want a sign. I actually prefer doing it when I don't have to talk to them, that way if they want what I'm selling they call me.
<<

Ian Muir

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:12 am

Phill wrote:That'll impress Ian :lol1: :lol1:

Yes Phil that does leave an impression with me.... :roll: :shake: .
Was co-erced into teaching that business studies bull at college once whilst normal lecturer was on extended leave, absolutely hated the psuedo scientific reasoning behind it.

Having difficulty putting fingers on the right keypad buttons this morning so I took a look what I might have written last night and that unfortunately does not impress me.. should have done a lot better after the alcohol I consumed from about 4.30 yesterday, after I had finished signing up 2 tipper wagons in part cover on top of the bloomin North Pennines with a full scale snow blizzard going on around and through me ( yes, full scale, not one of those softy southerner powder puff and slushy stuff that seems to become the obsession of news broadcasters of late).

So cold one of the printed logos snapped as I was squeegeeing it down didn't even dare try snapping any back off cos knew it would shatter.,

Twas lovely to get into pub in front of roaring fire and with good wholesome beer... plenty of beer.

Ian :lol1: :

Return to Vinyl

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation