my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

what are peoples opinions on the rapid air vinyl?

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:10 pm

what are peoples opinions on the rapid air vinyl?

I just wondered how well people rated Oracle Rapid Air vinyl. (For the uninitiated, the Rapid air system has an embossed pattern in the glue which allows air to escape much more easily than using conventional vinyl.)

I just bought a roll to try out and must say I am very impressed with how easy it is to apply over a large area without any bubbles. The downside I'm told is it doesn't perform well if it has to be stretched into a recess as the glue is more likely to fail.

What are others opinions of this vinyl?
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi Phill, I havent used the orcale wrap vinyl, but have used hexpress. The rapid air system. Works very well on nice flat surfaces but as soon as you have to start working it into corners deep recess, then you start noticing the difference.

The vinyl was first made for the fabricators of hgv trailers, a while ago but has found its way into sign shops.

It has its uses but I tried a roll and didn't feel as comfortable as when using ordinary warp vinyl.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:33 pm

I've been trying to get a cost / sample of this today - Avery® Supreme Wrapping Film Easy Apply RS™ - Robert Horne & Spandex are down as approved suppliers but phoned both & they never heard of it ! :-?

John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:42 pm

Spandex have just come back :) £560 per 25m/1500mm roll.

Going by the price it must be good !
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:01 pm

Phill
I have just used part of a sample roll. I used it to cover a signtray and fold it around the edges. Sign tray was 2300 x 675mm. Was a doddleto do single handed and will definitely be getting some for on the shelf.

Very impressed here too :wink:

Cheers

Gary
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi Phill

I used it (unprinted and unlaminated) to do a wide white strip across my van, it runs over the recesses and although is a Transit and has small recesses the vinyl has stayed put and has been on for about 6 months no. I also fitted outside without a temp gun so was not done under ideal conditions, however went down like a dream and has stayed put.

One day when I have a printer I will be using it again :wink:

cheers

Warren
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi Phill i have used it printed and laminated on the sides of a berlingo van ,it was very easy to fit however it felt a little taught in the corners of the recesses so i made a cut around the lower line of the panel, having made another visit to customer i checked out the van to see what its like to find that the vinyl where cut has shrunk about 2mm but not lifted so just wiped over with glue remover customer well happy
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:10 am

I think you've got it sussed Phill. Brilliant for flat panel work, but I wouldn't trust it if stretched.

It's especially good for supply only work, where it may well be applied by fitters of, how shall we say, a lower skill level than that found in the average sign shop.

Return to Vinyl