Categories
  • TIMELINE

Sign cutting software

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:53 pm

Sign cutting software

Hi Good people,

As you may have seen on previous posts i have purchased my first vinyl cutter. I have since found out that its not the make i was told it was and is actually a 'Jinka/Goldcut JK870'. (cheap chinese i hear you scream)
So after many emails back and forth mainly from the very helpful Brain at impactgs.co.uk i am now just throwing it open to you guys before i go any further.
What i am trying to find out is what software (ie signlab or vinylmaster pro or another) has the supporting drivers i require to run my plotter.
I am very dissapointed to say the least to find out my plotter isn't what i was told but saying that i do get some very good results from it, its just that my software doesnt work as it should.

Hope you guys can help???

Steve
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:05 pm

Steven does it look like this....

http://cnjinka.en.alibaba.com/product/2 ... otter.html

As I said in the email it will more than likely work from Signlab using a P-Cut (or similar) HPGL or DMPL driver.

The only real way to find out is going to be to try it and see. As I said I could probably arrange for you to try it at Cadlink. Or maybe somebody closer to you that has Signlab could give it a try?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:15 pm

I would send a mail to Cadlink, I have noticed that they have been steadily adding drivers for some of these Chinese cutters, it seems that alot of them work on either hpgl (as Rolands) or dmpl (as used by Summa). Obviously not much help if you don't have Signlab but may help your decision if you are in the market.
Alan D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:23 pm

I have already spoken to Cadlink Alan, they have not heard of it. The only way they can be sure a driver will work is to physically have the machine there. And then it's often a bit of trial & error.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:43 pm

Yep that is the machine.
I was just throwing this topic out on the forum before i contact Cadlink as they are quite a distance from me and i struggle to get the car off the missus!
The guy i got it from had stuck a Redsail sticker over the front of the plotter.
But i will keep going with it.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:06 pm

Have spoken to a few people & nobody has heard of it :-?

Even had a chat with Flynn Signs, they have sold more Chinese machines than I have had hot dinners. Never heard of it there either.

Anyway good luck with finding somebody that does have one.

Very odd that somebody would stick a Redsail label on btw!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Are you trying to use the USB connection?

Most Chinese machines do not have a 'genuine' USB.......they have serial USB converters which are prone to problems.......if you can just stick to an old fashioned serial connection.

John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:37 pm

John Thomson wrote:Are you trying to use the USB connection?

Most Chinese machines do not have a 'genuine' USB.......they have serial USB converters which are prone to problems.......if you can just stick to an old fashioned serial connection.

John

Steven is looking for software to drive his machine. The question he is asking is does anybody know of a software that will definitely run it. I think! :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi Steven

What part of the England are you in

Paul
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:45 pm

Hi Paul,

Im in worcestershire,
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:37 pm

Doh

Was hoping you was near to Croydon way, so maybe to try it with SL.8, would a demo version do for testing, Maybe Brian Hayes would know not sure if you can cut with the demo version might be worth a ask,

Nice to speak to you anyway M8

Paul
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:58 pm

Nick Minall, is in your neck of the woods, and may be able to run a test for you, and I think he has SL8 for sale, so maybe worth getting together?

Peter
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks guys im on the case hopefuly, I have been sent a copy of artcut pro to try so when i get it i will try the generic DPML settings and see how we get on! Then at least if it works i can hopefuly run it from generic settings on other software.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi m8 did you manage to get the cutting plotter working ? actually i am facing the same problem. i have the same plotter but i can't get it to work. help in this regard will be appreciated.. thanks
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:16 pm

The problem isn't to get it to work as it works really well but i am limited to what i can do with the software i have. ie i cant scan images and i can't import or export files.
The artcut software didn't cure the problem but i have just been hit with a hefty service/mot bill so i now can not afford the vinyl master pro or signlab software that i really want.
On the software side i needed to know if the above had a generic setting for the plotter but unfortunately i have put things on hold.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:20 pm

not sure if this issue has been resolved, it has been a while, I have one of the JINKA GOLDCUT JK871 and in the manual it says:

Language: DMPL / HPGL

Compatible software: FLEXIsign, CorelDRAW, Mastercutter etc.

Cheers, Mark.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi Mark,
I tried to investigate the coreldraw route years ago but had no such luck. I have coreldraw 12 and cant seem to find anyway of using it with the plotter so if you know of any extra info on this it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:03 pm

Have you thought of trying signcut? Download the trial at www.sc-x2.com and see if it supports your plotter.

They do a plugin for Corel so you can send striaght to Signcut.

I have a Chinese plotter and this is what I settled for (but I export from Illustrator)

Hope this may help!
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:55 pm

Steven Taylor wrote:Hi Mark,
I tried to investigate the coreldraw route years ago but had no such luck. I have coreldraw 12 and cant seem to find anyway of using it with the plotter so if you know of any extra info on this it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

I am using Corel DRAW 12 too....

My cutter is attached via serial port and is installed as a printer, so i just print to it as a printer, sending just outlines / hairlines..

I could not do it with the USB, only works with serial connection.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

Return to Signlab Software