my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

can anyone help with suppliers of media for Mimaki JV3?

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:15 pm

can anyone help with suppliers of media for Mimaki JV3?

Hi

We have just purchased a mimaki jv3 2.5metre printer, installed a couple of weeks ago.

If anyone has any tips or help regarding suppliers for material it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Rebecca
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:24 pm

Rebecca

Hexis have agreat range of products for the solvent printers not all are profiled but you can get away using generic ones with a bit of a tweek.
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:12 pm

orajet vinyl's work to from europoint :)

3651 5 year monomeric
3751 7 polymeric
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:38 pm

All Print Supplies www.allprint.co.uk

are very helpful and are profiling some media for the Shiraz rip, good prices too
<<

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:53 pm

cant help Rebecca but great choice in machine ive heard good reports :wink: big thing aint it?
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:06 pm

Hi Robert

Yep it sure is a large machine, especially after only having a pc60!!! Its certainly a big step up for us.

The quality is very good and the printer is quite straight forward to work.

We've had a lot of interest from all our customers so hopefully its all going in the right direction.

By the way is there anyone else on this site running a 2.5metre mimaki?

Rebecca
<<

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:05 am

Rebecca,

A 40 ft semi backed up to my shop today, and with the help of my neigbor computer geeks, 6 of us carried the crated Mimaki JV3 -160S into my garage area. I am installing the exhaust fan tomorrow, so maybe by the first of the year I'll be up and running.

I will be using Flexi SignPro 7.5 as the rip software -it comes with about 50 different ICC profiles for Avery, Oracal, 3M and a few other media choices. My supplier is furnishing me with a full array of ICC profiles for Avery's MPI line of vinyl and scrim banner.

Does anyone you know use Flexi as a rip? I used to use it for Inkjet, and it does phenomenal color. You can also print directly from Photoshousing Flexi's Postscript 3 drivers-- and the color is even better.

Do you have any problem printing a bright red? How about gold?

I will be posting more of my findings, if people want me to.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:26 pm

Hi Rebecca,

Hows the JV3 going?, i know you ain`t had it long but have you run into any problems so far?

Rod
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:04 am

Hi Rod

Thanks for enquiring about our JV3, things are going well at the moment, we have a customer who is hoping to give us plenty of work, we have already done some jobs for him which have been produced with no problems.

The christmas break has not helped, we're trying to get samples done and get profiles and material pricing from suppliers sorted at the minute as well as getting work out.

Hi Stephen

You had to get 6 people to carry the printer in, imagine the weight then of the 2.5metre printer!!

We're new to the digital market and I dont know who else is running a JV3, I think there is a couple of members with the 1.6metre wide but I'm not sure if anyone else has a 2.5metre printer.

Maybe we can exchange tips once our printers have been running a bit longer.

Rebecca
<<

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:25 am

Thanks, Rebecca--

You must have the JV3-250 (100 inch) Mimaki. WOW that must really be huge.

I've got the smaller 160 brother set up, but I still need to configure a computer close enough to it so I don't have to use 15 meters of Fire wire cable.

What are you using for a rip? Do you have a lot of different materials you can use with their own ICC profiles supplied?
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:27 pm

Hi Stephen

We're running our JV3 with the shiraz rip. We had a number of profiles included but as you can imagine never for the media you want to use.

We have been told that a lot of new profiles are being worked on presently so hopefully we will have a better selection of media soon.

We have done a lot of work already on the printer and we are learning as we go along, as I said earlier in the postings we only had a PC60 previously so are new to large format digital printing.

Regards
Rebecca
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:35 am

Re: Mimaki JV3

Check out www.megaink.biz
The best 3rd party inks for the JV3!

Eliav

Rebecca wrote:Hi

We have just purchased a mimaki jv3 2.5metre printer, installed a couple of weeks ago.

If anyone has any tips or help regarding suppliers for material it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Rebecca
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:51 am

Hi Rebecca -

I've had a few postings here lately trying to find information on the Summa DC3. I had lots of good input.

I do 2 different things. I work full time for a municipality doing road signs, vehicle graphics and banners. Also, I own a company on the side that focuses on vehicle graphics (vinyl only - I can't afford digital yet!). The municipality I work for is about to take the "digital plunge" and I've been the one left with the job of deciding which machine to recommend. I was just about to commit to the Summa when along came a Mimaki sales person. I must say, I'm pretty impressed with the JV3.

Mimaki is claiming 3 to 5 years on their inks outdoors. We all know that this data is subjective, but have they shown you in any convincing way that their inks are apt to last as long as thermal transfer?

Also. do you have the mimiaki plotter for contour cutting? We are considering buying both as a bundle and would be interested in feedback on the quality of their vinyl plotters.

I'll be paying close attention to your post in the near future. The versatility of the JV3 really has my interest (as well as the lower cost of operation compared to the DC3). If I could be convinced that the durability were comperable, I'd be sold!

Hedge
<<

Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:31 pm

Mimaki is claiming 3 to 5 years on their inks outdoors. We all know that this data is subjective, but have they shown you in any convincing way that their inks are apt to last as long as thermal transfer?

My own view (and just personal view of course) is that there is yet to be a true “3 –5 year life print” thermals or inkjet.
UV stability maybe yes. But on scuff, abrasion resistant or on a vehicle I don’t think so.
Again, just me view, not having a pop… :-? :D honest mate :wink:
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:11 pm

Hedge

Sorry, havnt got a mimaki plotter so cant comment on them.

As far as the ink goes on the JV3, we were told 3 year life.

We've been using our printer primarily for banner prints and have encountered no problems. You need to leave the prints ideally for at least 24hours to fully cure, although as signage is usually the last things customers think of, is not always easy.

Rebecca
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:07 pm

Mimaki JV3

Firstly,may I congratulate you on your choice of printer, by far my favorite. As I beleive you have been told Hexis supply quite alot of media for this machine and contrary to popular belief do have profiles for their most popular media for use with Mimaki machines & Shiraz. Metamark's stuff is ok, as is avery's range.

edite: admin :-?
please stick to topic & refrain from ads
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:21 pm

Mimaki JV3

Hi Rob,

Was not trying to advertise, just trying to tell the truth and answer Rebecca's question regarding suppliers.

:(
<<

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:34 am

I'm having good success with mostly Avery and Oracal vinyls. Oracal 3651 is a great glossy vinyl at a very good price.

Avery's MPI 3000 is a good short term matte vinyl and Avery's 1005 EZ is a wonderful vinyl--with the EZ bubble removing quality.

Oracal's and Avery's web sites have a lot of ICC profiles, especially Oracal.

For Banners, I like Sansui Sanlux gloss, and have used Herculite with good results.

I'm printing mostly at 360 x 540 HQ 6pass UD. 48/48 with Flexi as my rip.

Return to Mimaki Printers