my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Workshop Heating

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:08 pm

Workshop Heating

Would be interested to know how you all do this?....Gas, electric, oil, or thermal underwear?
I'm considering wall mounted gas heaters in the main area and oil fired rads in the computer and cutting area.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:14 pm

bit late to think about that :D

can't burn fuels as they make to much water.

at the moment i don't care :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:17 pm

Oil radiator at computer, infrared over worktable and at printer. Plenty of layers on me :)

Cheers

Dave
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:22 pm

Chris Wool wrote:bit late to think about that :D

Just preparing for another 'summer' Chris! :roll: :roll: :D :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:44 pm

In our fitting shop we have a couple of gas burning space heaters, does the job well enough but im thinking of getting wall mounted ones to free up some floor space.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:07 pm

Bit of a mixture really, due to the nature of our premises.

In my office and the print room we have gas radiator central heating.

In the cutting room we have a couple of wall mounted domestic type gas heaters.

In the fitting bay we have both a wall mounted gas space heater and some wall mounted infra-red heaters.

The reason for two types in the fitting bay is that the space heater was installed when we moved into these premises, but we found that it wasn't much good. Bring in a cold van in the morning and the place got up to a comfortable working temperature in a matter of minutes. However, even by lunchtime the van was still cold to the touch.

We subsequently installed the infra-reds and they heat the van rather than the air, and are therefore much better for vinyl fitting. Consequently they are used much more often than the gas one, which only gets turned on on really cold days.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:41 pm

Hi John Sounds interesting have you got any links for the infra reds you use?

How do they compare on running costs any ideas

thanks John :D

BTW: At the moment we have oil filled lecky rads in the office and a blow heater in the workshop (which isnt up to the challenge) so I was looking at floor standing ceramic/electric heaters in Macro - any thoughts onthese peeps?
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:11 pm

John Harding wrote:Hi John Sounds interesting have you got any links for the infra reds you use?

How do they compare on running costs any ideas

thanks John :D

BTW: At the moment we have oil filled lecky rads in the office and a blow heater in the workshop (which isnt up to the challenge) so I was looking at floor standing ceramic/electric heaters in Macro - any thoughts onthese peeps?

The infra-reds have been up about ten years now and I can't remember where I got them (even if the firm is still in business). However, they are this sort of thing:-

http://www.tombling.com/heaters/radiant-heaters.htm

We've got two 1.5 Kw ones on each side of where we fit the vans.

Costwise four of those is 6Kw, whereas the gas space heater is 17Kw, so roughly a third of the energy requirement.

I would use wall mounted ones. They save floor space, and are much less likely to get damaged. Having said that, one freestanding one is a good idea for portable spot heating.

Oh, yes. Last year I did buy a couple of 3Kw freestanding infra-reds, but they are only for use used on-site.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Electric central heating for offices. Air condition heating at print&cut part and also in print shop. Thermal underwear and a glass of some brandy or something like that occasionally :lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:28 pm

MilosV wrote:Electric central heating for offices. Air condition heating at print&cut part and also in print shop. Thermal underwear and a glass of some brandy or something like that occasionally :lol1:

Milos,

We went for air conditioning in our new print and production building, cant wait for the summer to try it out properly :wink:

We've used these new inverter pump ones which are meant to be super super efficient, will see once we've had the electric bill in from the last quarter though.

Andy
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:33 pm

I use a fan heater in the office which is pretty useless on really cold days and a free standing halogen (infra red)patio heater with oscillating head on it so it covers a wider area in workshop, works very well both are 2kw heaters but the halogen heater is better.

Steve
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Just before Christmas I had 5 Ceramic wall mounted heaters fitted, one above each workbench and two in the vehicle bay. We were advised to go for Ceramic rather than infrared as the infrared ones give off a light glow.

We went for the Consort make, and the 1.5 kw units cost about £130 each. I had these fitted with timer switches, so whoever wants to use it has to push a switch which gos off after 20 minutes, so no walking off leaving the heating on!

As for the rest of the building, I have aircon in my office, and convector heaters in the accounts and sales office.

Convectors also in the print room, kitchen, toilets and main office area.

Be careful of the LPG type space heaters, we had one a few years ago and our insurance company went mad when they made their annual inspection!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:19 pm

Chris,

What was their reasoning for going mad? Was it the gas, the flame or a bit of both? Just interested as we never had them when we had our first inspection.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:52 pm

Think it was the flame Paul, we were just told to get rid of it so we did. Our landlord checked it hadn't crept back in every time he visited too.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:56 pm

Chris Dowd wrote:I had these fitted with timer switches, so whoever wants to use it has to push a switch which gos off after 20 minutes, so no walking off leaving the heating on!

Excellent idea. (-)

Thinking about it I've seen quite a few of these lately, in the smoking area outside pubs. I think I'll call my electrician in the morning.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:03 am

Agree John, excellent idea, I'm awful for leaving the workshop and forgetting the heat is on.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:33 am

As already said its a superb idea. Im forever getting home only to wonder if ive turned the heat presses off, I might go and buy some of those timer plugs you can get in B&Q.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:22 am

I think it is virtually impossible to get insured if you have a propane space heater on the premises.
My insurers even don't allow the calor mobile type.

I have an oil filled radiator in the office which is on a timer.
Good thing is I can put my gloves on top to warm them up.

Electronic 13A plug in timers, 7 day multifunction with led display were less than £3 at Screwfix before Christmas.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:10 pm

John, your link also promotes movement switch too.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:02 pm

For Info some of those time delay switches can be adjusted they work on a vacume I believe with a bleed screw that can be adjusted. Air enters back into the compressed sack and the switch pops out once it's full.

One thing to remember is some of these heater take a lot of juice so the switch needs to be able to handle it.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:11 pm

Our switches aren't the vacuum type, they have a little light on the front and are almost like a touch sensor, will drive 1.5KW okay.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:36 pm

use the ones for water heater in a house, 15minute increments up 2 hr's. designed for higher outputs

Return to General Sign Topics