Categories
  • TIMELINE

How to fit built ups with LED's to a wall. Wire routing prob

<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:55 pm

How to fit built ups with LED's to a wall. Wire routing prob

Hi all.

Am currently quoting for a job that requires Built up metal letters with LED's to be fitted to a brick pier. What I can't work out, is where the wires will go from the LED's. As you know, on a normal sign, you feed the wire down by the locator & join it all up at the rear of the substrate, but as this is a brick wall, this will be unachievable won't it? I don't want the wires running along the brickwork, but at the moment, this is looking like the only way isn't it? I've no idea how thick the wall is & what it backs onto, as I've not seen the site yet, just phone conversations so far.

Has anyone fitted direct to brickwork before, & if so, how did you overcome this problem?

Many thanks!

Gwaredd.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:55 pm

I did one to rendered wall and just ran a conduit along the bottom of the letters. Do the same and paint it brick colour or grey to match the mortar.

Cheers

Dave
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:04 pm

I always shy away from to straight to brick and put it onto a tray, hide everything behind, otherwise its conduit utilising my signwriters skills painted to match the wall
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi

We have done this but sorry no photo's. We channelled out a horizontal strip of mortar between a course of bricks and ran the power supply to each letter along this and then re-pointed the mortar after wards. Once done you couldn't see any wires. We also did one (with the consent of the customer) where we put a hold through the wall behind every letter which was faster and cheaper but looked a bit messy on the inside (but was a stock room)

Cheers
Macky
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:28 pm

I just take the shortest gap between the letters and pin the cable to the wall. If you need a bit of paint to camouflage the cable then that is also easy.
Don't make a big deal of it, unless it is on a flat polished surface like marble which would be more difficult to hide.
You only see it because you know its there, your customer probably won't notice.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:33 am

From another angle.........UV degredation of the LED cable, best to be covered if in direct sunlight. Probably find that the LED cable is not UV stable for long term exposure as its designed to be enclosed.

Conduit or bury it mortar.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:37 am

Thanks very much for the ideas guys. I'm working alongside the building contractor for this job (well, hopefully if I get it!) so the mortar idea seems favourite at the moment!

Cheers!

Gwaredd.

Return to Neon, LED, Lighting

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training