Categories
  • TIMELINE

Vinyl for walls etc

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:03 am

Vinyl for walls etc

Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend a vinyl for a specific use...

I am going to design some 'wall graphics' and hopefully sell a few from a website i'm also writing..

I have sourced a few suppliers and have some in mind, but thought i'd be silly not to ask here, where there is so much experience..

I guess i need a matt vinyl that can be applied well to painted walls etc - not too hot, nothing that takes the plaster off when removing it !

Any input/previous experience would be really appreciated.. :)

Carl.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:27 am

Hi Carl APS do one and Mactac Do one called Macsoft if thats any help
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:30 am

Hi

seem to remember reading an article the other day that 3m are now making one that can go onto textured surfaces!!

think the article was in the William Smith flyer

Ade
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:06 am

Most of the REUSABLE wall products are rubbish unless you like leaving a 1cm bleed of white around your graphics.

The only one I've liked it the Avery Wall graphic 2601 I think is the number. Its not re positionable but is removable up to one year. Not take paint off is a matter up to how good the wall has been painted. One light coated most paint will peel a bit. I'd find it hard to warranty paint removal as part of the product.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:38 am

Thats strange, I am also in the exact same process of setting this up.
a website for wall graphics
Ordinary calendered vinyl will work fine, if you are thinking of cut vinyl like most of the sites out there
if you have textured surfaces, or uneven surfaces cast will work better, you could ring one of the established companies like wallglamour, or notonthehighstreet etc
I have tried them on painted walls and they dont remove the paint but will be putting a disclaimer in to say that i cannot guarantee this wont happen due to damp, bad preparation etc.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:04 pm

Hey steve,

What vinyl are they using on walls?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:06 pm

I have been using oracal 651, comes off fine with a gentle heat and no paint removal, applies well too
not sure what they use, they may use a removable vinyl but from what I have seen the calendered is just fine.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:46 pm

Steve Underhill wrote:Thats strange, I am also in the exact same process of setting this up.
a website for wall graphics
Ordinary calendered vinyl will work fine, if you are thinking of cut vinyl like most of the sites out there
if you have textured surfaces, or uneven surfaces cast will work better, you could ring one of the established companies like wallglamour, or notonthehighstreet etc
I have tried them on painted walls and they dont remove the paint but will be putting a disclaimer in to say that i cannot guarantee this wont happen due to damp, bad preparation etc.

Hey guys,

Cheers for that, it all helps a lot :D

Steve, if u like, keep in touch while u set up, sometimes its worth bouncing off each other when trying to get started in something.

u can email me on mod-edit please read board rules and i'll show you what i'm upto.

Cheers !!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:46 pm

Sure will do carl thanks
be good to help each other, Ive done a few designs already Ill compare notes soon
cheers
Steve
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:17 am

Steve Underhill wrote:Sure will do carl thanks
be good to help each other, Ive done a few designs already Ill compare notes soon
cheers
Steve

oops sorry about the email address mods <noted>

Yeah, let me know Steve i am just putting some designs together too, it will be great collaborate with someone in the same boat.
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:20 am

i use 3M 30-series for wall decals, with avery low tack application tape. Removing the silicon paper is a bit harder with low tack but atleast the sticker stays at the wall.
With medium tack, removing application tape from the wall is usually pure madness. For example, 1200x2000m sticker after installing, with low tack, application tape removing takes usually less than a minute. With medium tack, it can take 1.5 hours because the sticker just doesnt want to stay at the wall :)
In my opinion, 3m is more user friendly than avery matt vinyl, because 3m doesnt stretch as easily as avery when removing application tape. Avery is easier to weed but i still like 3M more.
I use avery monomeric low cost vinyls for print jobs, those can also be easily removed from the wall.

http://www.zocca.fi/epages/GPL.sf/fi_FI ... rrat/Ficus

these are our current stickers, for example. ( i dont know is it allowed to post this link but i guess ill find out :D)

Only problem with print stuff is that 1-2mm white gap which has to be between ink and cut line, otherwise the sides starts to lift up.

Sorry if my english sucks, im trying my best :)
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:12 am

Riku Suominen wrote:i use 3M 30-series for wall decals, with avery low tack application tape. Removing the silicon paper is a bit harder with low tack but atleast the sticker stays at the wall.
With medium tack, removing application tape from the wall is usually pure madness. For example, 1200x2000m sticker after installing, with low tack, application tape removing takes usually less than a minute. With medium tack, it can take 1.5 hours because the sticker just doesnt want to stay at the wall :)
In my opinion, 3m is more user friendly than avery matt vinyl, because 3m doesnt stretch as easily as avery when removing application tape. Avery is easier to weed but i still like 3M more.
I use avery monomeric low cost vinyls for print jobs, those can also be easily removed from the wall.

http://www.zocca.fi/epages/GPL.sf/fi_FI ... rrat/Ficus

these are our current stickers, for example. ( i dont know is it allowed to post this link but i guess ill find out :D)

Only problem with print stuff is that 1-2mm white gap which has to be between ink and cut line, otherwise the sides starts to lift up.

Sorry if my english sucks, im trying my best :)

Hey Riku,

Nothing wrong with your English bud, its probably better than mine !!

Thanks for that info, i like your website and designs too !!

I used to be a full time artist and used to ship art prints in a 610mm tube. I was wondering if this is how you ship your decals. I used to use 2 inch width tubes but i'm guessing that these will be too tight. Do you know if i'm right in thinking that a 3" - 4" tube will be a good idea to post out larger decals ?? I used to get quite a few crushed tubes back to me.

Carl

:D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:56 pm

hehe :) round tube would be best way to ship stickers BUT.. we bought triangle shaped packages because the lack of space. Those packages looks like toblerone (chocolate) boxes, triangle shape and 8cm wide side or how is it called?.. anyway i hope you understand
http://www.winosi.onlinehome.de/Images/ ... lerone.jpg
like this but 600mm and 1200mm.
i guess 2 inches is too small, 3-4 would be okay.
round tubes take too much space if you ship / send hundreds of tubes at the time, triangle shape boxes can be packed in far less space.
I think triangle shape is also more resistable for crushing, thin round tube crushes more easily?
We use rubber bands after rolling the sticker so it stays in round form.
.. Writing english in drunk is far more challenging :D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:19 pm

Riku Suominen wrote:hehe :) round tube would be best way to ship stickers BUT.. we bought triangle shaped packages because the lack of space. Those packages looks like toblerone (chocolate) boxes, triangle shape and 8cm wide side or how is it called?.. anyway i hope you understand
round tubes take too much space if you ship / send hundreds of tubes at the time, triangle shape boxes can be packed in far less space.
I think triangle shape is also more resistable for crushing, thin round tube crushes more easily?

Haha, Riku, you really made me laugh.. ( Writing english in drunk is far more challenging )

Brilliant idea with the triangular postal tubes !!

I used to ship only about 50 tubes a week and used to get a few crushed, i bet a triangular shape would be much stronger.

Thanks for the info bud, keep up the good work.

Carl :D
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:06 pm

Carl Burns wrote:
Riku Suominen wrote:hehe :) round tube would be best way to ship stickers BUT.. we bought triangle shaped packages because the lack of space. Those packages looks like toblerone (chocolate) boxes, triangle shape and 8cm wide side or how is it called?.. anyway i hope you understand

Haha, Riku, you really made me laugh.. ( Writing english in drunk is far more challenging )

Brilliant idea with the triangular postal tubes !!

I used to ship only about 50 tubes a week and used to get a few crushed, i bet a triangular shape would be much stronger.

Thanks for the info bud, keep up the good work.

Carl :D

:D Nice to know that atleast someone is laughing :D
Triangular shape is much more stronger, because the walls support each other so the tube won't collapse as easily as a round tube.
Hmm.. tomorrow is my third day off in 3 years so i'm drunk again :D
.. and 13th day off in 7 years..
It's nice to have your own business, you can take as much day offs as you like! ... or...
:lol1:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:19 pm

Off topic but dammit now I want some Toblerone.
:wink:
Enjoy your day off, Riku!
Love....Jill
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:59 am

Where do you buy the triangular tubes from?
anyone know?
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:39 pm

I found these triangular tubes, but i've not ordered from these guys before so i cant recommend them yet..

http://www.rajapack.co.uk/products/post ... -brown.htm

Riku.. 13 days off in 7 years !! you part-timer !!

:D

and yeah, i'm going to have to buy a Toblerone now as well...
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi there,

Oracal Wall Art 3628 series , comes in colours and digital grade.

post it note adhesive for moving around and taking of without taking the paper or paint with it.

Regards

Return to Vinyl