• TIMELINE

VAT

<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:47 pm

VAT

Hi all,

Just visited the site below and it’s raised a question on VAT. This guy claims that all his prices are VAT Zero Rated.

Now am I missing something here? I put Vat on everything, except when shipping outside the EU.

If there’s a way around paying VAT I would like to know about it, as it takes up a lot of my time doing the books etc. Plus it bores the pants of me.

http://www.justsigns.com/page9.html

Dan
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:08 pm

I think he means he/she is not VAT Registered, otherwise he will
be in for the high jump, we have a sister printing company and booklets and leaflets are excempt but other printing is chargeable,
but signs No..... you must charge if registered, i did note he/she trades from a PO Box..............
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:08 pm

If your registered for vat you have to show it in your invoices there's no way around it. And you should pay it

In my opinion there are two possibilities

1)He's not vat registered, therefore he can't put vat on things

2)He's vat registered but he just gives prices inclusive of vat.

This causes real problems with customers who aren't vat registered, they say "I don't pay vat mate, can you do a cash job" But what they fail to realise is that you pay vat on everything. we just show it as seperate values which draws attention to it. Lets take your shopping bill from the supermarket it doesn't show vat but your still paying it you just don't see it.

If i'm dealing with a member of the general public or small trades men i always quote my prices inclusive of vat.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:22 pm

He is local to me and no he is not VAT registered.

If you don't meet the VAT turnover thresshold you dont have to register its optional.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:29 pm

I think basically the wording is poor on the site.

He doesn't want to look like a small outfit, but if you say ....... We are not VAT registered most people will be able to tell you are a small outfit and some may be put off.

Saying Zero rated is not the same I think being picky it is incorrect.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:39 pm

I'd like to know how other people word it when quoting prices. VAT not applicable (?) There are a lot of small businesses who are not VAT registered so there must be a common way of letting customers know that there are no taxes to be added.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:45 pm

On the bottom of my invoices is cleary states "Non VAT Invoice"

I always tell customers that there is no VAT in the Price as im Not VAT Registered

Never been a problem for me so far. :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:18 pm

Not being vat registered doesn't mean your exempt from vat, it just means you can't claim vat relief. your still paying vat on the goods you buy, so to an extent you are charging vat to your customers.

All invoices where vat is listed should have a vat no. on them, as far as i'm aware if there's no vat no. they can't charge vat seperately.
on Pro forma invoices even if they list vat, you still need to have a full invoice to claim the vat back.

Most receipts/invoices etc without vat state "this is not a vat receipt/invoice" this means you can't claim vat on them, and have to ask for a vat receipt.

I think with regards to letting people know, it tends to be a bit more on vat side in that you have to say all prices quoted are subject to vat @ 17.5% or all prices exclusive of vat at the prevailing rate
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:18 pm

As far as I can remember Makro the superstore have goods with VAT and some without to which they refer as zero vat

Zero vat means just that.
That is, no vat added.

John
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:59 pm

certain goods are zero VAT..like some kids clothes and certain foods

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat