my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

what size of trestles should i buy 8 or 10 foot high?

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:08 pm

what size of trestles should i buy 8 or 10 foot high?

Hi Guys

I'm thinking of getting my own trestles as I have about 6 jobs coming up where I either need them or would benefit from using them so I thought because of the amount of times I would have to hire them maybe best just to invest in my own set.

I have read the other 3 long posts regarding trestles so this is more of a size issue :wink:

I have a MWB Transit and the back measures 2800mm so a 10 foot will not fit. I do have roof racks though so they can go on top.

Is it worthwhile to go bigger and always have to load them on the roof or would 8 foot do OK? I also have 2 18 foot ladders for higher stuff or would hire a lift.

Just want some opinions before I splash the cash.

Cheers

Warren
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:51 pm

Hi Warren, I'd go for a the 10ft. I had 8ft ones for a while but found they were a bit short at times. 10ft ones reach as high as you want to go from trestles. Would go for as long a board as possible too, so you don't have to shift it about as much.

Nick.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:52 pm

for me this would be another case of get the best you can afford

If you can transport the bigger ones I would go for them.......you might not think you need them right now but I bet you didn't think you would need the 8 foot ones a year ago
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:31 pm

Warren, me auld Granny told me to tell you .......'better looking 'at' them, than looking 'for' them' :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:28 am

I got the 10ft ones, but wonder how you are going to put them on the roof? I have a Vito van so the roof is lower than a transit, and I load them from the side. I have a 3m platform (heavy) which I have to load by standing on the van floor(through side door) then on top of the two trestles. They are tied down with ratchet ties by standing on the tyre (rear) and van floor(front), to get the necessary height. Transit just seems too high for that!

Cheers

Dave
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:41 am

Dave, not sure what sort of set up Warren has but when I had my transit I could put stuff on the roof bars quite easily because the back bar had a roller. I'm not the tallest of people but the roller made a huge difference.

Warren I would also go for the 10 foot trestles, there probably isn't much difference in price, only thing I might do is just check the weight of them first to see how easy they are to manage.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:41 am

Warren, you WILL need handrails above 1.6m (I think that's the height).
It's a H & S requirement.

Especially if you have a second pair of hands on the job as you will be uninsured and open to legal action should he fall off.

Have a look at the industrial section here:
http://www.lfi-ladders.co.uk/

I use the 8ft ones as they will go inside my van and more manageable.
It's not been very often that I could have used 10ft ones and the easier handling outweighs it for me.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:31 am

Martin rollers do help to load from the back, but trestles are 'A' shaped and 10ft ones weigh a bit so not so easy to load from the back. At the end of a long day I would be prefer to be loading the 8ft ones and a shorter platform especially when the wind gets up :o

oow decisions decisions :-?

Cheers

Dave
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:13 pm

hi mate I have both 8 feet and 10 feet ali ones, for most shop front the 8 feet ones fall a little short. I would have to say 10 feet ones, mine are only ever put on the roof as I only have a small nissan van
Rich
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi All

Thanks for all the responses, I have gone and done something different and ordered what is basically a 9 foot working height trestle (10 foot when closed) Ordered from Sitebox so will wait and see.

Now to find where to store them :-? :roll:

Thanks for all the input chaps

Cheers

Warren

Return to General Sign Topics