Categories
  • TIMELINE

Vandal Proof Sign Advice needed please

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:25 pm

Vandal Proof Sign Advice needed please

Dear All,

I have been asked to quote for replacing a sign at my local park.

The sign that is there is made from a timber frame and a Painted aluminium background which has had vinyl lettering on it.

A lot of the vinyl lettering has been scratched off and peeled off and very little of the original information is still there.

The Local council dont want to spend out a small fortune replacing the sign with somthing that will be easily damaged.
I have a photo of the proposed sign but dont know how to include it in this forum can anyone tell me?

Anyway, the timber frame will stay where it is and the new sign is to be fitted (bolted? Screwed?) over the top of the old one.

Can anyone tell me the best way to fabricate a vandal proof (if there is such a thing) Sign??
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:21 pm

I think the obvious here would be to get the graphic edge printed then laminated with anti grafitti vinyl would probably be the cheapest. Then you could also fix a sheet of polycarb over that with security screws and do away with the anti grafitti.

PS There is no such thing as a vandal proof sign. I made an expensive sign with photographic image embedded in fibreglass with a 10 year guarantee against fading and the barstewards BURNT IT! (hot) (:)
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:25 pm

Let's not be too hard on the vandals. After all they're probably just misunderstood kids that need a bit of nurturing. At the end of the day society is to blame..... :cry:

... not only that but they result in a lot of repeat business :D :D
<<

Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:10 am

you could make it in a metal and dig a hole at the base of the sign.
put in a car battery in a box or something. using a small wire run it up the pole some place and connect it to the metal sign.
watch the little darlings crackle... :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:12 am

Vandal resistant signs

One of my customers may have just what you need. It's really tough !

Try

www.durablesigns.com

Regards

Mike Antrum
Solutions 2
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:43 pm

produce a foam pvc sign and chain a guard dog to the bottom of the post,
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:38 pm

Thanks for all the Brilliant Advice (:) (:)

And Thanks most of all for the Durable Signs Link, they are the business.

Will go with them I think.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:07 pm

Interesting to know your opinion on durable signs Paddy, I've had a couple of signs on order from them, but have been off on holiday so haven't seen them yet. It's our first time with them and i'm eagerly awaiting the end result
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:08 am

TRY USING REYNOBOND FROM AMARI PLASTICS, VINYL TEXT THEN OVERLAMINATE WITH GRAFITYP'S ANTI-VANDAL LAMINATE CLEAR, THEN EDGE THE LOT WITH STOCKFRAME EDGING.........
I.VE READ TO COMMENTS ABOUT THIS EDGING, ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT YOU ARE ALL NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH. !

OFCOURSE THE OTHER WAY IS TO LAY VINYLS TO THE REVERSE OF A CLEAR PERSPEX PANEL, ENQUIRE WITH AMARI ABOUT THE SHOCK RESIST BRAND, OVERLAY A COLOUR BACKING TO IT THEM FIX TO EXISTING BOARD,....SHOULD ALSO DO THE JOB.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:14 pm

reverse vinyl applied to clear PET its stronger than the plexi glass resist that amari have in stock (which is the resist 65), I dont think they carry the higher grades yet.
We use the 65 on our motorsport windows and its bloody tough....
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:51 pm

Paul,

I am looking to change the glass out of my rally car for plastic is this the stuff to use then?? how much does it cost?

I know that I can get plastic windows for my car ready cut for £150
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:44 pm

hi

Yea PET is fine to use on your motor (what ya got) but make sure you get a UV grade one

where can you get the pre-cut windows from ???? just out of interest ??
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:33 pm

I am in the process of buying a chevette road rally car but am unsure if it has perspex windows or not as yet.

This months Retro Cars magazine is running an article on plastic windows and there is a company called plastics 4 performance
www.plastic4performance.co.uk
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:35 pm

<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:44 pm

Durable signs came all the way down to the darkest depths of Wales the other night, and what a wet and windy night it was too.

Anyway, they came all that way to demonstrate their product to my local community council. They will probably get £130 worth of work from it but it may lead to other things in the future.

I can recommend their demo to any company looking to supply quality vandal resistant signs. I will be going with them so long as the council agree to the price.

The other good point is that Durable only deal direct to sign makers and not with joe public so no prices were discussed at the demo.

Thanks to Durable signs for a worth while meeting.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:14 pm

Hey Paddy,

I think your better off going with the windows that plastics4performance sell - i know nothing about them but i hear the guy who does them there knows his stuff inside out and back to front! And he's a really great bloke :D
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:31 pm

Hey Lorraine,

I think you are right, The cost of their windows compared to sourcing materials and trying to cut the windows etc could prove to be a lot more time consuming and lets face it time is money. one van signed up will pay for a set of windows.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:13 am

Couldnt agree more with you there......mention this site and i bet he will give you a discount.......I have some of their windows in my mini...absolutly superb quality and finish, and he will only use the best materials ....no rubbish or cheap polycarb....

I also believe he is pretty good with the old built up acrylic / metal lettering ..knows his stuff on signs as well

Definatly someone to recommend !!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:41 am

As Paul says you cant go far wrong by giving plastics 4 performance a ring, when I was building up my Mini I had the idea of putting light weight glass in so I gave em a ring, spoke to a guy who was mad on the mini stuff cant remember but I think I spoke to a guy called Paul. He must have been on UKSG board at some point as he mentioned a discount for members....

Hope you get sorted,

Timmy....
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:41 pm

what a terrific ending to paddy's dilema!

i will certainly take note of durable signs, for any future signage of the same nature!

thumbs up to all!! (hot) (hot)

nicola
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:39 pm

ARGGGHHHH I think ive been rumbuled...yes plastics4performance is meeeeeeeeeeeeeee ha ha ha ha :lol: :lol:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:33 am

Come on Sammy let us all in on your secret of how to cut stockframe to get a nice clean edge!

How about a small demo on how you do it??

Return to Neon, LED, Lighting