my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

3M Gold Squeegee - Need Help

<<

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:33 pm

3M Gold Squeegee - Need Help

Hi folks...
im in desperate need of ordering new 3M gold squeegees...

I was buying from PRINTONE (i think) but no longer do them...
i know there are various suppliers doing them but for the life of me ive forgot... :oops:

any sources up your sleeve would be much appreciated. :D

thanks in advance for any help...
Last edited by Robert Lambie on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:40 pm

The Vinyl Corporation, do them Rob next day delivery and all that. Tel:0115 930 1133 or type the name into google their web site shows up.

regards
steve
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:42 pm

Cherwell also do them Rob

Peter
<<

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:58 pm

thanks steve, ill give them a call too...
peter... its was actually cherwell ive been buying from... you jogged my memory :D
PRINTONE did offer an amazing price on boxes of 100 gold squeegees but have started supplying their own range now.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:00 pm

Spandex is who I bought them from. :)
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:00 pm

Hi Rob

Hexis have them and are the cheapest I have found them for £2.92 each, I'm sure they will be cheaper for a regular customer or bulk.

cheers

Warren
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:26 pm

Could have sworn I got mine from Europoint.
Anyway I paid £2.50 for them, if it wasnt europoint it might have been dorotape.
Reflexis.co.uk at £2.40 + vat hows that
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:46 pm

cherwells 2.45each
or £55.50 for 25 = 2.22 each

Peter
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:42 pm

I have noticed though that my really OLD Avery blue felt squeegees & 3M Golds lasted for what seemed like forever. The latest batch are all but worn out already.

Don't make 'em like they used to... :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm

Ive had a purple metamark squeegee for over 2 years that is so hard Chuck Norris would lose a fight against it.
Great squeegee but have to be careful sometimes.
I use 3m golds, Aslan plastic/felt one sided, & oracal felt.
The Aslan ones are on a par with the 3m I think, or the 2 I have are anyway.
<<

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:55 pm

Avery Squeegee's, i like the concept but not the squeegee. the design element of the flet side causes problems whilst the nylon itself wears quick and isnt just as flexible as the 3M gold. I have not always been pro-3M gold... when i started out many moons ago i used the spandex orange "very stiff" squeegee and swore by them. i moved through many over the years and finally found myself most comfortable all rounder was the 3M gold Squeegee. It is stiff, yet plyable enough to work with on many different applications. I also use felt squeegees allot... i use the oracal one most but had a couple of grafityp "thick" ones and they had a nice feel too them... smoother felt and had a sort of runner spring to them (very hard to explain) :lol1:

anyway, back to the 3M gold...

Years ago the 3M Gold had some sort of additive removed from the mixture that makes the squeegee up. 3M realised that most fitters, while working, would stick the squeegee into their mouth. the additive being "poisonous" had to be removed for obvious reasons... as a result, the squeegee wears down a bit quicker. (thats the general story/myth anyway) :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:05 pm

Rob what happened to your squeegee tests a while ago, were you not getting a new squeegee idea made?

Cheers

Dave
<<

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:47 pm

DaveBruce wrote:Rob what happened to your squeegee tests a while ago, were you not getting a new squeegee idea made?

Cheers

Dave

i did test allot of squeeges dave, i think i used about 10 different brands/types over a couple of months. some companies sent me some free, some didnt turn up... personally the companies that i think new their squeegee was "joe everage" were the ones that did not send. the thing was, i needed a good few of each squeegee so all our staff were using the same ones at the same time over a few days on each squeegee. this way we had a variety to work with and with various vinyl applicators views on each.
however, from what we were sent "it wasn't enough"
i did form my own views on them all and if you read back on what i have said "above" gives you a good idea on "my" choice. but that's all... just my view.

it does come down to a preference thing though... just take my comment on the grafityp squeegee. i liked the thick one, but when on the grafityp course... James our instructor proffered the "thin felt" squeegee. everyone to their own at the end of the day... what i think will stand out and has, is wear and tear... the cheap look-a-likes wear down far faster, dont flex as good or aren't stiff enough... i could go on and on talking about squeegees.. sad i know. but its the most used tool in my box. so much so i have (and what Dave may have been talking about in the first place) drafted up squeegee designs/ideas of my own, which i haven't got round to having made simply due to time on my hands. however, i have had 3 different suppliers offer to distribute them when i do... so never say never :wink: :lol1:
<<

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:52 pm

I like the thinner Mactac felt ones, also like the Avary blue with felt type covering on one side for wet jobs.

I have a box of cheap ones from Victory for selling to customers who want to fit them selves, I've tried them and they last about one job :)

Steve
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:00 pm

Stephen Morriss wrote:...I have a box of cheap ones from Victory for selling to customers who want to fit them selves, I've tried them and they last about one job :)

Steve
They are shockingly bad aren't they! Bits rub off as you're working! Got a box thrown in with our plotter if I remember...stayed in the box too!
<<

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:01 pm

Stephen Morriss wrote:I like the thinner Mactac felt ones, also like the Avary blue with felt type covering on one side for wet jobs.

that in itself tells you what i meant... everyone to their own mate.

i "hated" the mactac thin one... but liked the thicker. however the thicker didnt feel just as good a felt and tended to bend quicker.
the avery felt/nylon i had issues with too... see above.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:32 pm

How about these, I know it was mentioned on here before but has anybody tried one yet?
Attachments
rollepro.jpg
<<

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:39 pm

Warren Beard wrote:How about these, I know it was mentioned on here before but has anybody tried one yet?

i have one on my desk at work. had a play with it early last week but keep meaning to keep at it. im basically doing a product test on it. ill load my results once i have them... :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:44 pm

Warren, the video makes it look easy, but the vinyl needs to be at least a cast laminated or a wrap material, also the vinyl needs to be applied in a certain way to allow tunnels for the air to escape along the line of the rivets,
It may work fine for an experienced fitter, but is not going to work for the inexperienced as an easier way to apply...

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:46 pm

Great Rob

I thought it looked quiet good but didn't want to fork out £30 for one :oops: :-? Looks great for rivets even though I have never done rivets before :o

Something I'm still looking forward to :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:48 pm

Peter Normington wrote:Warren, the video makes it look easy, but the vinyl needs to be at least a cast laminated or a wrap material, also the vinyl needs to be applied in a certain way to allow tunnels for the air to escape along the line of the rivets,
It may work fine for an experienced fitter, but is not going to work for the inexperienced as an easier way to apply...

Peter

Hi Peter

Trust me I'm not looking for another way to apply as I am only just perfecting dry app :o :wink:

Still loving it though :lol1:

Warren
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:54 am

Robert Lambie wrote:Avery Squeegee's, i like the concept but not the squeegee. the design element of the flet side causes problems whilst the nylon itself wears quick and isnt just as flexible as the 3M gold.

I agree with you mate, the avery is a good idea, but the felt edge wears out so damn fast.

When the german guy from Oracal came out here to demo the new 3951 vehicle wrap material, he used a 3M Gold squeegee but buys self adhesive wool pads, and applied them to one edge. Worked a treat, but I can't find anyone here in Oz that sells the self adhesive pads, not even sure what they are originally used for :-?

Anyone have any ideas?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:56 am

The german guy I saw uses a material forget the name and wraps it around the squeegee and tapes it. Lasts ages and is cheap as chips. Apply abit of windex or the like and it just slides across the vinyl.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 am

hexis used to give away these AWFUL red ones, I keep them in my glove box for frosty mornings! then theres the ones that are given away in boxes with dealership stickers...they are good for getting off badges off the back of vehicles and save my Gold 3M for best. I bought Gold 3m when recommended on here....FAB product. The material thing on one edge sounds interesting which jxuereb is talking about.
What on earth is that thing that Warren is showing in his pic? looks like something youd use at the gym!
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:59 pm

Cheryl Smith wrote:What on earth is that thing that Warren is showing in his pic? looks like something youd use at the gym!

What............ A baby?
<<

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:01 pm

Steve Underhill wrote:
Cheryl Smith wrote:What on earth is that thing that Warren is showing in his pic? looks like something youd use at the gym!

What............ A baby?

:lol1: :lol1: i think the bad girl's been on the bad sauce again... :wink:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:36 pm

nah you nunny, the red n black fing. apparently you have one in your drawer what you dont know what to do with..I KNOW what a baby is. and such a kewt one at that. ahhh.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:39 pm

Cheryl do a google for rollepro...

it could be your new baby...

Peter
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:20 pm

Peter Normington wrote:it could be your new baby...

Painful. :o
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:37 pm

We bought 2 of the Rollepro's when they first released them over here. Only works with hi-performance case & wrapping films for starters, cal film just got a ton of bubbles and wrinkles. It does work, but our guys used them for about a month and a half before they found their way back into the storage closet. Really didn't make the job any faster, but they said their hands weren't as tired as they normally get from pounding the rivets on the trucks with the rivet brushes.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:42 pm

I would have thought a combination of the 2 tools might be best, the rubber used on the roller-pro attached to the end of a rivet brush, This would allow you to simply press it down over the top and the foam would form the shape of the rivet and in doing so press the vinyl down in to place.

Just a thought, maybe I should make one?

Return to General Sign Topics

About
Contact
Board Rules
Membership
Terms & Conditions

Signapp - iPhone & iPad
Signapp - Android
Vehicle Wrap Training
Vinyl Application Training
Vehicle Wrap Accreditation
UK Sign Group