my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

has anyone used stone chip vinyl & is it any good?

<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:59 am

has anyone used stone chip vinyl & is it any good?

Hi All, anyone used this material on vehicles and doea anyone know a supplier of said vinyl? any pitfalls? bla bla bla

cheers

G
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:54 pm

George,
Hexis do at least 2 different types of stone chip films, I think. One is called Automotive functional film and the other, just released called CarProtect

Steve
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:05 pm

cheers Steve
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:10 pm

George, the stuff that your guys with the lambos are likely to have is Armourfend. Armourfend also sell the templates and a program for cutting them (made by Cadlink from memory but you cannot open the amf files in Signlab).
It's pricey stuff.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:14 pm

Cheers Marsmella
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:35 pm

George,
Found another product, similar to 'Marsmella's' ArmorFend, called VentureShield. Very expensive and templates and software available for most high end cars. The big catch is the software will only allow you to cut the equivalent of a complete roll of material so you can't use another product . You get a new unlock code with each roll. The product is first class.
It's applied wet! can I say that on here or will Rob's swear checker delete it?

Steve
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:36 pm

George Elsmore wrote:Cheers Marsmella

Marsmella!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! doesn't exactly sound nice does it! :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:37 pm

sorry typo.....honest :D
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:46 pm

uhuh ....... sure it was! :roll:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:01 pm

:yes1: i am a good boy (angel)
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:03 pm

George Elsmore wrote:Cheers MarSMella

S & M getting you in trouble again George?? :D :D Told you to give that up!!
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:42 pm

nothing wrong with a bit marks & spencers Harry :wink:
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:21 pm

What's the difference between stone chip vinyl and doing it in ordinary clear?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:52 pm

John,
I looked into becoming a VentureShield agent because I have a customer who has approved it for their vehicles, so they asked me to fit it. I looked at a couple of the cars with the material fitted , one black and one red with white stripes and its not easy to see a difference in the gloss or any colour variation. They also reckon that it hasn't shown any 'yellowing' on a 2 year old example.
It is quite thick, more like a cheap vinyl, but very soft to the touch and very pliable, far superior to any cast vinyl. Excellent for headlamp glasses
A good proportion of the starters at Le Mans have the the nose and leading edges covered so that at the end of the race they can have lovely paintwork, apparently there is also good business to be had in the sports bike market

Steve
<<

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:16 am

Ventureshield

Hi all I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I am a Ventureshield installer in the states. This film is an 8mil product 6mil urethane and 2mil acrylic adhesive. This is really difficult to install there is a ton of stretch to it. IMHO their film is the easiest going to install and it is definitely the shiniest that I have seen. When I went for training the other guy with me is a vinyl installer and he picked up on the install techniques very quickly. As far as the product goes, it definitely works, it really looks good on the car and at least in the states it comes with a lifetime non transferable warranty against yellowing, cracking, or bubbling. If you need more info Google the name and get their site.
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:44 pm

HI there,

We do a really simple product called ... wait for it .. Thick stuff !!! its a clear 400mic flexible pvc film for use on the Gerber edge , print on the reverse back up with white and apply the matching adhesive, really inexspensive aswell.
I appreciate we should give it a better name , we didnt have a marketing guy in those days!!!

Cheers
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:09 pm

Cameron - Europoint wrote:HI there,

We do a really simple product called ... wait for it .. Thick stuff !!! its a clear 400mic flexible pvc film for use on the Gerber edge , print on the reverse back up with white and apply the matching adhesive, really inexspensive aswell.
I appreciate we should give it a better name , we didnt have a marketing guy in those days!!!

Cheers

Hi Cameron,
Is there any chance you could send me a sample of this material for our Edge FX?
Many thanks,
Phil
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:23 am

John Childs wrote:What's the difference between stone chip vinyl and doing it in ordinary clear?

Paint Protection Film is a world of difference from clear vinyl.
This is what we do. Please don't ever be tempted to offer clear vinyl as a protection against stonechips.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:42 pm

Yeah, ok Eddie. Point taken.

So what's the difference?

Just thickness, or is it a different material altogether?
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:21 pm

John,
it's a completely different film to vinyl, although there are a lot of similar characteristics. As far as thickness goes, yes, slightly thicker than most vinyls, and as the earlier poster said, you have what we call an 8mil film, which consists of 6mil ( thousands of an inch in old money) urethane film, and 2 mil of adhesive. We also provide a 20 mil film for protecting headlights getting damaged. The manufacturers claim is that it will stop a one oz stone at 120 mph from breaking a glass headlamp.

The main issue is the resistance to penetration of road debris. Regular vinyls just do do not have this attribute.

There are a multitude of data sheets available, which are far to boring to go into here, but suffice to say, this is a market that we are trying to grow, and create awareness of this product.

Obviously forum rules prevent me from promoting the organization that I am involved with, but it is enough to say that very soon there will only be one real player in this field, and we are part of that, with over 50,000 different patterns available for all types of vehicles and applications.

Cheers

Ed Taylor
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:28 am

Ewan,
Thanks for message, but can't PM a reply. But, yes you are correct with what you asked me.

Ed Taylor
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:59 pm

Cameron - Europoint wrote:HI there,

Cheers

But you don't stock it anymore :( I tried for a sample.......... :(

Return to Vinyl