my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

can anyone help with this van layout please?

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:17 pm

can anyone help with this van layout please?

This is my design for a van for a business called 'Well Plastered' - the logo (the house of tiles) was taken, with permission, from another vehicle design by mike

Anyone got any thoughts on this??

Gav
Attachments
well plastered001.jpg
well plastered001.jpg (74.01 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
Last edited by WP_Graphics on Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:28 pm

file attached in Corel 9 Form...

Gav
Attachments
well plastered.ai
(359.65 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
<<

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:38 am

This reply isn’t about the graphics, more the layout.
First glance.. “P,R,E” in plastered lands on corner recesses..
This I not advised unless planning on patching!
The coachline falls on a recesss. But the side sliding zip will stop that
Being seen from the middle of the two rear panels.
The bottom of the word plastering falls into the recess as does the top of “& tiling”
Both may not appear easily read, due to the deep recess.

when it can be helped mate, ide always steer clear of recesses. it makes the fitting harder and can cause you bother further down the line if not applied properly :wink:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:01 am

Gav,

I'd say it gives the impression that their Tiles fall off and that their Plastering is wonky!

Sorry.............Gotta be cruel to be kind...... :-?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:08 am

Yeah sorry Gav, I'm with Martin.
Jenny (my wife ) did some business cards for a tiling company following their layout which showed everything on a slant. Looked good for an arty kind of business. They signed off on the job (Mrs tiler that is). When Mr tiler saw it he refused to pay for the work even though his wife ( and partner) approved it. His answer was "I'm a f***ng tiler...I only do straight work this makes me look shoddy".

Can't you have the tiles laying square with maybe a corner one off with a hand applying it?

Just a suggestion.

On the same note and having said all that...Look at his name. Well Plastered sounds like he's Pi**ed all the time. Quality work assured.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:06 am

LOL!

I (and the customer) wanted something very comical. He is that kind of guy and hence called it "Well Plastered." He wanted something a bit different so I just mucked about a bit and came up with this. If anything, I think that it'll draw attention from the small community which I live in...

Rob, I'm going to use oracal 751 for this as it's worked really well before with this type of recess..

Any more thoughts would be welcome.

Gav
<<

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:45 am

i dont think ide like to stick my neck out that far mate.. 751 is a great calendar vinyl yes.. and will stretch into those recesses easily.. but keeping them there is another thing.. this will take a few days to become apparent.
ide avoid it if you can.
im only talking the deep recesses on the upper area of the sides.
other areas should be fine!
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:08 am

You can make some of the text smaller, the phone numbers are too crammed in the panel and the Well Plastered could be smaller to avoid the recesses. I'd try it using lower case letters as well as it might make it easier to read at a glance.

Anyway, the money plasterers earn they're taking the (oh i swore !) not just on the (oh i swore !).
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:21 pm

Can, anyone show me their thoughts on the layout?

Gav
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:21 pm

Play on Words.......this would get him talked about :-?

Simon :-?
Attachments
well plastered.jpg
well plastered.jpg (93.56 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not bad mate, I could try but I think that he would get more interest by the local constabulary than the public,....

Thanks anyway ;)

Gav
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:04 am

Hi Gav,

I think the double meaning of ‘Well Plastered’ should be left in the mind of the observer. Do the van straight (that includes the lettering) people will see the pun without overdoing it?

Alan
Attachments
plastered.jpg
plastered.jpg (39.55 KiB) Viewed 5310 times
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:55 am

Thats the one Alan :cool:, Gav do as this man says let joe public figure it out for themselves, I don't like all the messed up text gives the idea that the plasterer is your typical LOADSAMONEY cowboy :lol: .
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:51 pm

Finished Van

Well I thought I'd just show everyone the finished van...

Gav
Attachments
well plastered001.jpg
well plastered001.jpg (83.75 KiB) Viewed 5251 times
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:06 pm

Great job Gav.

And you’ve retained your original design, just given it some coffee and sobered it up.
I bet the client's well pleased.

Alan
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:12 pm

gav...how did you do the other side...did you cut the house & tiles handed... ???
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:18 pm

Alan : Thanks mate, he was really happy with the van, really liked the way the Well plastered stood out with a navy back drop...

Mark: not sure what you mean but I kept the house with the tiles towards on the front panel of both sides of the van, I've also posted a view of the back also...
Attachments
well plastered002.jpg
well plastered002.jpg (105.96 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:43 pm

gav...Yeah thats what I meant..I call it 'handed' (like arrows on a double sided panel) one to the left...one to the right...but when it seen from each side it looks right...

Done a good job there...
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:42 am

Spot on Gav..........nice work, probably too good for an 'S' Reg!! :-?
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:26 pm

Looks pretty good.

Did you have your outline scaled wrong though? Looks like you struggled to fit everything in.
<<

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:13 pm

jon vital wrote:Looks pretty good.

Did you have your outline scaled wrong though? Looks like you struggled to fit everything in.

Yep, I noticed that too.

Probably 10% smaller would have it right.

Strangely, I've just done a VW hitop and the crummy outline showed more space than was available so the lettering ran in to the window(less) panel area by 5mm at the bottom of the text.
I wasn't happy so I immediately pointed it out and offered to redo that bit.
Shows good intent and he'll be sure to recommend someone who redoes something without being pushed.

Not saying you should open your mouth on this one Gav, there's too much!
Be interested to know your feelings on this.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:59 pm

yeah, I think it was scaled wrong, I had it within all the boundaries that I thought (and I even left a margin) and it overlapped a wee bit...

Customer was delighted though so I can't complain...

I had the same problem (It's actually the Impact CD that I use - sorry brian :( ) on a Merc Vito, the back panel was so for out it was scary!! (hot) (:)

Gav
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:27 pm

What drugs?

Did your client have bloodshot eyes?

A funny story..A guy came in to our workshop a few years ago with a van
and said he new exactly what he wanted. No phone numbers, nothing fancy just one word written on both sides and the back, but quite large.

Ok I say no problem let me just get a colour swatch for you to look at.
As I turned to get the swatch he says " Yea i want the word 'Semi-hard'
written on it.

I thought did he just say "semi-hard"

The customer continued " Do it dark blue, Iam not fussed about the font just the word semi-hard I'll be back in an hour"

I told him the price and off he went.

He came in an hour as promised took one look at the van and said "No I didnt say semi-hard I said "cemyard", Iam a grave digger."
We all thought he had some sort of penile dysfunction and was trying to advertise the fact. :D

Oh how we laughed.
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:50 pm

Gav, I don't want to be to critical but I think this is a case of don't take vehicle outline CD's for granted. If you havent lettered a particular type of van before don't cut any vinyl untill you have checked the panel sizes.
We keep a book of all the vans we have done with the actual panel sizes in. If we have a van to do we check the book first just to make sure everything will fit OK.
If its a van we haven't done before we either leave all the cutting until the van comes in or make sure we have got the correct sizes from the customer eirlier.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:30 am

Gav, if our outline for a swb old stlye Transit is out by a large amount I would be very very surprised. It has been on our disk since 1996 and I can't recall ever hearing a compalint about it.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:35 am

Only just out Brian - as Martin said, I should have taken a measurement of the panel first. I think your CD is great so no complaints!

Gav
<<

Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:50 am

Nice job gav.. Glad the customer liked it mate.

Constructive criticism:
Although the design is working fine, the sizes are not.
I appreciate what you say about vehicle outlines being wrong. But they are pretty close. However, they shouldn’t be used for “exact” sizes. (Without kissing brains behind too much. Although not perfect, I would say Impact, probably have the most accurate on the market)

On seeing your initial design I think I did suggest you drop the sizes a little and keep out the recessed areas. I wasn’t just pulling at your design, honestly. It did need some slight adjustments and I would always recommend anyone, to stay out of recessed areas ”if” it isn’t going to hamper the design.
In fairness and something that happens to everyone. When you design something on screen we get a little ambitious when it comes to sizing. We don’t grasp in real life the tiny text that isn’t really seen along the bottom of a door is actually 3 inches high or so. So we increase it. When the job is fitted and we look at the van, we see it could have been doing with some text being “reduced” this is normally the very same text we increased because we thought it needed it.
I think this is the problem with your vehicle. Not the design more the onscreen sizing.
Something I say to our guys when designing.. “When you have finished the design, select the lot and knock 5-10% off the overall design” you will find it has done the sign/vehicle the world of good.
We all tend to get mixed up with “negative space & a certain element of space” in a design.
Look at the 3 signs below..
Try staring at all three at once.. Decide what one pulls your eye to it more and for what reason?

[center]https://www.uksignboards.com/images/general/signs.gif[/center]

The top one is smallest yes, but on looking at it. It suggest to me the one with a little more thought behind it, than the rest. Other than the black panel you would think.. Why all that space. Is this negative space? I would say not! It’s the space that has made this the design it is. It’s the space that has taken your eyes and directed them towards the lower right. It’s all that space that’s helped emphasize that small black panel in the corner. “The space is working for the design” :roll:

The second, to me. Is just crying out for space.. :cry:

The bottom is, to me. Just about right. :D

You may remember, because I know I do. The “billboard” posters around Scotland about 10 years ago. They were huge plain white billboards. Right in the centre there was a real can of tenants lager.(empty of course) above it in small text it said
“time for T” this was probably one of tenants most successful & cheapest! Advertising campaigns because they had everyone talking about them.

Make the space work for your design. You will find it does you more favours when it comes to fitting on vehicles too..

Forget what some women will tell you.. (Bigger is “not” always better!) :wink:

Ok mike! Ill shut up.. I hear you muttering mate.. two deep breaths and swig your coffee.. you can slag me when we speak next about my long drawn posts…
I do tend to rabble and make very little sense babble babble babble :o :lol:
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:50 am

Gav,

You’ve had loads of good advice on this one and I’m sure you’ll put it to good use in the future. And something else that will be of use will be this van, because the punters will love it despite its indiscretion. Let us all know when someone rings and says, “are you the chap who did that Well Plastered van?), because they certainly will. :wink:

Alan

Return to Graphic Design Help