Categories
  • TIMELINE

Charging for design changes

<<

Gray.Hodge

5 Star Contributor

Post Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:29 pm

Charging for design changes

Lately I've had more than my fair share of customers who give me the go-ahead on a design, accept the quote, then keep asking for more changes.
Often the changes are only minor, but they all take time having to fax or email each change.

I know some guys have a policy of one change, then a charge.
Is this what most do up there?

Thoughts welcomed!
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:29 pm

Yes gray.. I know that one only too well.. :x
I would swear they mean it sometimes... :roll:
We don’t charge them extra to alter anything, but wish we could at times..
We do however charge if there is an increase on text.. Not one or two letters/words but actually adding to the text without taking anything away.. Then yeh.. we charge accordingly.
:wink:
<<

Phill Fenton

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:55 pm

I also find this to be a constant source of irritation. :-?

Like Rob - I do not charge for minor changes, but I do charge more for major changes which involve additional text for example.

I have also been known to reduce the price when a sign has been simplified (more fool me :oops: )

Some customers are easy to please - others want to see loads of permutations before settling on a final layout - to be honest, I find these people the most difficult to deal with.

However - Sometimes a dark hint that extra costs may be involved is enough to focus a customers thoughts and agree a final design :wink:

But you're right Gray - how much extra time can you spend with a customer without charging more, and at what point do you draw the line and tell them "further changes will cost extra" To be honest I don't know. I have lost work in the past by becoming impatient with a customer - but then I'm not the most diplomatic of people anyway :(
<<

Gray.Hodge

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:28 am

Good thoughts, thanks for sympathising, certainly sounds like I'm not Robinson Crusoe on this one.

I seem to have spent most of my time with "permutations" (big word, that) lately.
An example was a customer the other day, he phoned to order a sign. Within 10 mins we had agreed on size, colour, style and wording. I gave him a price over the phone and he said go for it!

I thought, wow, I wish all jobs were this easy!
The next day, after materials had been ordered and design completed, his wife phoned and wants to know why her husband ordered such a big sign (6' x 3' to go on a large shed) and carried on about how useless he was and how it would be better if he spent the money fixing the fences!!

I replied that I am happy to offer marriage counselling, being one of the things I do (serious), and managed to convince her that the sign would look fine.

Boy the things we have to put up with to earn a quid!
<<

Alan

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:47 am

My heart bleeds for you Gray. :(

Thank goodness we have somewhere like this to get it off our chests. :lol: :lol:
<<

Martin Pearson

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:14 am

Like Robert & Phil we don't charge for minor changes and to be honest I am having trouble thinking of a job where we had to make anything other than minor changes so I guess I have been lucky there. Because of this I havent had to think to much about what this cost us, but I think I would follow the same lines, if we had to make quite a lot of changes or add extra text etc then I would review the price.
Even adding extra text can be a problem as this could throw out the whole balance of the sign, meaning the whole design needed doing again. I can see the problem though Gray, when do these minor changes reach a point where you should be charging for them?
<<

Mike Grant

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:36 pm

I done a job 3 months ago, it was a board display that went into detail with text and photos of an eco friendly building that a local council had just funded. To cut a long story short I gave a price with a very rough brief and was given the go ahead. It was wanted in such a hurry I had to do this all within a week including making an ash frame and fixing it. I was told that there would also be some Welsh text added as well AFTER quoting! OK I says no probs :roll: well an "extra 2 days" later I managed to finish the job and get it fixed in time for the opening. Now I didn't hastle them for more money at the time as I had enough to do just to finish in time, so now three month down the line they have finally accepted the equivalent of one extra days labour, I should have hit them for 2 days worth but I felt that the board was starting to go overprice. I was quite happy with that as we were both stabbing in the dark with the tight schedules and the "can we add this somewhere" scenario.

I think sometimes you have to bite the bullet and compromise, rather than throw all your teddies out of the pram in one go.

Ya win some...Ya lose some! :wink:
<<

Michael.

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:15 pm

as you say Mike...

"some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you!"... :D

more soon

mike

Return to General Sign Topics