my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

Can you convert text in Acrobat to curves?

<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon May 15, 2006 12:47 pm

Can you convert text in Acrobat to curves?

Hi,

I have Acrobat 7.0. Sometimes receive PDF files which, when opened, display the fonts perfectly etc. even when I dont have the fonts installed. However, when opening in Illustrator to amend, Illustrator will substitute the fonts for something completely different.

Is there any way of converting text to curves in Acrobat 7.0? (Tried to export as EPS with 'convert text to curves' dialogue box ticked but doesn't work).

Alternatively, is there a way of opening the file in Illustrator with text converted to curves upon opening?

Any thoughts welcome.

Ta.

Martin

p.s. Have Corel 12 if there is a workthrough there.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Mon May 15, 2006 1:07 pm

hi... yeah that is annoying... i dont use illustrator as a daily program but i see they are stll fonts.

I save as EPS as your options you have specified then Import into Corel with Postscript Interpreted options, works most of the time and is curves.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon May 15, 2006 2:05 pm

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Tried the EPS version in Corel - but it didn't like it....

Thanks anyway.

Martin
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Thu May 18, 2006 9:15 pm

PDFs can be opened in Signlab. When opening/importing you get various options and the text will come in as outlines.

Can bring in other hidden elements from file.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Thu May 18, 2006 10:58 pm

hi there, there is a way but it doesn't work all the time. it worked few times with me. you can give it a try
i use acrobat 7 you open the file save as postscript. under setting have a look there is an option to convert all font to outline. then you save the file onto desktop open it with distiller and save a new pdf drag and drop into illustrator and good luck it worked 2 times out of 5 see how you go. :)

Nancy
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:24 am

Hi all
Very familiar scenario - I have been through the Acrobat 7 routine - saving as eps, convert text to outlines etc - but it never seems to work. Tried the saving as PS too but still no joy. Very useful piece of software though.

I always stress to our customers to convert all fonts to outlines prior to sending but many of them don't, (or can't), do it which can be frustrating and time consuming. Sending JPEGs for spot colour screenprint production is slightly higher up the annoying scale.

Stuart John Halliday wrote:PDFs can be opened in Signlab. When opening/importing you get various options and the text will come in as outlines.

Hi Stuart - I have tried importing a pdf into Signlab and it refused to let me - am I doing something wrong (apart from using signlab that is......only joking).
col
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:12 pm

Unable to convert Text To Curves out of Acrobat

Marts wrote:I have Acrobat 7.0. Sometimes receive PDF files which, when opened, display the fonts perfectly etc. even when I dont have the fonts installed. However, when opening in Illustrator to amend, Illustrator will substitute the fonts for something completely different.

Is there any way of converting text to curves in Acrobat 7.0? (Tried to export as EPS with 'convert text to curves' dialogue box ticked but doesn't work).

Stuart John Halliday wrote:PDFs can be opened in Signlab. When opening/importing you get various options and the text will come in as outlines.

coolinshot wrote:Hi Stuart - I have tried importing a pdf into Signlab and it refused to let me - am I doing something wrong (apart from using signlab that is......only joking).
col

True. When importing a PDF, SignLab gives you option to convert the text to curves.

Hmm. Unfortunately, as per Marts' comments, Acrobat does not have option to resave the PDF with conversion of Text To Curves. I have looked at distiller options, as well as advanced Print dialog settings.

Col, when you encounter error when bring PDF into SignLab, may I ask whether the PDF has password protection enabled? Recent discovery was that SignLab would present an obscure error dialog if the PDF had password protection, whereas correct method is to ask for password.

Regards,

Rod at CADlink
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:43 pm

Re: Unable to convert Text To Curves out of Acrobat

Rod Young wrote:

True. When importing a PDF, SignLab gives you option to convert the text to curves.

Rod at CADlink

I can not get this to work in Signlab 7.1?

Nick
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:55 pm

You should be seeing a PDF Import Options dialog

Nice wrote:When importing a PDF, SignLab gives you option to convert the text to curves.

Rod at CADlink

I can not get this to work in Signlab 7.1?

Nick

When you import a PDF into SignLab, the PDF Import Options dialog will open. There are various options available, as follows:

Show Map Named Colors
This is used to perform color substitutions for named colors (i.e., spot colors) in the file. This option will cause the Map Named Colors dialog to appear later.

Import Text As Graphics
This option will replace the original text with line art. The original font information will be discarded in the process.

Use Alternate Font Location
This option is used where a Font Folder was created that contains the fonts used in the PDF file. By default, it is expected that this folder is named “Fonts” and is in the same directory as the PDF file being imported. Alternatively, click the Browse button to specify the location of the Font Folder.

Allow Subfonts
A subfont is merely a subset of the original font information that is restricted to only the characters used in the saved PDF file. If this option is enabled, then any embedded fonts will be used. Otherwise, the alternate font location will be searched, followed by a search of the locally installed fonts. If the font information is not found, then a substitute font will be required.

Import Pages
For multiple-page PDFs, indicate which pages to import. After the pages are imported, the Paging Tool can be used to browse each page.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:21 pm

Rod, I import text as graphics but it still asks for the fonts?
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:55 pm

Acrobat 5 has options for EPS sometimes changing the postscript to 1 can help when I import into Corel but it's all hit and miss importing into most programs 100% I feel.

Tim.
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:31 pm

The PDF apparently does not have font info

Nick Minall wrote:Rod, I import text as graphics but it still asks for the fonts?

• Sounds like your original PDF file does not contain font information, which is used in converting the text into line art.
  • Where did the original PDF come from? Surprising that no font information in there.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:36 pm

Re: The PDF apparently does not have font info

Rod Young wrote:
Nick Minall wrote:Rod, I import text as graphics but it still asks for the fonts?

• Sounds like your original PDF file does not contain font information, which is used in converting the text into line art.
  • Where did the original PDF come from? Surprising that no font information in there.

I have not found 1 PDF that it will work with yet, it allways asks for a font.
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:51 pm

I have quite easily imported pdf files into composer 2.5

Have not been able to import them into Signlab 7.1 however

If you want to email me the file I can try and convert it to another format for you.
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:13 pm

What application or plug-in was used to generate the PDF?

Rod, I import text as graphics but it still asks for the fonts?

I have not found 1 PDF that it will work with yet, it allways asks for a font.

Forgive me for asking again. What application was used to generate the original PDF? And what were the settings used when saving the PDF?
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:42 pm

Rod I am just talking in general, how must a PDF be save to work then?

Nick
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:05 pm

More information is required for troubleshooting

Nick Minall wrote:Rod I am just talking in general, how must a PDF be save to work then?

Nick

• To troubleshoot a problem, one begins by examining the steps that led to that occurence.
  • You state that you have encountered a problem, and I am asking you a specific question about what tool you used and what settings.
  • Once the facts are obtained, the problem can be reproduced and used to resolve the problem.
  • Though it is an Adobe specification for what components are in a PDF file, there are various "affordable" tools out there that enable people to "create" a PDF file.
  • For this reason, I am asking you to elaborate.
  • Without further information, there is nothing to be done.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:13 pm

Sorry Rod but its not PDF I have made.

Nick
<<

Trade Supplier
Trade Supplier

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:30 pm

Use the Tech Support reporting mechanism

Sorry Rod but its not PDF I have made.

Nick

No worries, Nick. I was under the impression that you had a recurring issue with your SignLab package, and I was just trying to narrow it down.

In cases where the issue involves learning the features, or determining what the best workflow is for your shop, then that is simply a matter of learning. This sort of thing is handled by the forums, documentation, training videos, etc.

I just want to make it clear that there is a reporting mechanism for dealing with your software issues, and it is a serious effort to identify and eliminate issues. Please feel encouraged to contact your Tech Support representative if this is the case.

Regards,

Rod at CADlink
<<

3 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:12 pm

can't you just ask the supplier of the pdf to give you:
either the pdf with text to outlines
or either the font

after all it's their file, and their responcability to make it ok.

i mean common, 10 of those files and your sitting days on the pc with production standing still.

Return to Adobe Software