• TIMELINE

What camera !

<<

Derek Heron

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:48 am

What camera !

morning everybody
my camera has died cannon ixus 330 i have an era message e18 which is seemingly a common problem and its out of warranty :(
so i am looking for a new camera has anybody recently bought one that does the job
need something with high res with battery pack rather than AAA

Derek Heron
<<

The Disc Doctor

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:09 am

Best 2 budget digitial SLR's are Canon EOS 350D and the Nikon F70, both available for about £500. I have the F70 because I can still use my old Nikon lenses. The extra £200 you pay over compact digitials are well worth the money.

Best advice is to pop down to your local Jessops, and have a chat. Explain what your using the camera for, they are really helpful and full of knowledge.

Don't forget to budget a little extra for memory cards etc..
<<

DavidRogers

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:17 am

I've bought a Fuji S7000. A true 6.3MP,(can interpolate higher) 6x optical zoom and it takes 4xAA (currently using 2800mAh & a 15min charger), storage - get a 2.2Gb CF 'card'.

It's not a true digital SLR, but comes pretty close. I'm pleased with it. It's big brother the S9000 is utterly superb.

I would have bought a digital Canon EOS (body) to use with the rest of my kit, but the price was prohibitive at the level I wanted.

Dave
<<

Robert Lambie

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:40 am

i bought a Nikon 7800 a few months ago, brilliant wee camera. its 7.1 megapixals and bought a 512 mb to go with it because of rez of each picture your looking at about 2-3meg per picture at quality, so better with extra space. i bought the camera basicaly for high rez pictures only, i didnt want the glorified ones that you pay so much for, they do a bit of everything good, but nothing great! :-? this ones does the job, but "if" you have to take a bit of video footage for a site survey, it does that aswell "very well". :D
<<

Rodney Gold

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:05 pm

For quality and responsiveness the Canon or Nikon DSLR's are king , For a budget model the 350d is superb. The biggest difference between point and shoot and DSLR is the way improved image quality in less than bright sunlight and the ability to use a very wide angle lens or specialty lenses which are needed for signage pics. And you see much better what you are shooting , Autofocus and responsiveness of the DSLR camera is miles ahead of most point and shoots , you can now really capture the moment. They cost a LOT more.

Alternatively if you want a point and shoot , the Canon S2 IS is good and the new S3 should be better. Does video with a wide zoom and enough resolution to print big
Depends on how serious you are about it all and how deep your pockets are. I like Canon cos of their lenses and image quality in the DSLR range , but Nikon does as good a job as do most good ranges.
Http://www.dpreview.com is a good place to start researching
I'm keen on photography outside of work as well , so I tend to go a little further with equipment as compared to a casual shooter.
Heres a low res collection of some of my pics
http://www.yendor.fotopic.net
<<

Martin Kennedy

3 Star Contributor

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:44 pm

Wow Rodney

Great pictures! Did you have to do much re-touching or cropping to these after taking the shots or just post them to the site? They are really sharp with great depth of colour.

Martin
<<

Andrew Boyle

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:48 pm

I would go with the Nikon D50

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50.htm

very similar to the D70....

Cheers

Andrew

[excellent pics Rodney :D ]
<<

Rodney Gold

5 Star Contributor

Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:26 am

Martin , quite a bit of Post processing workflow goes on. I generally shoot RAW , not relying on the Camera to do any sharpening or colour saturation or even white balance
I open the RAW file in Adobe Camera Raw and adjust WB , exposure , contrast , saturation, sharpening etc and then transfer to photoshop where I crop and do further unsharp mask sharpening. I send the files full size to the photo hosting site , they resize for display. These pics are culled from some of my other galleries where they are stored full size , all I did was let my bowser display them as medium sized pics , clicked on "save as" and uploaded them again as a low res gallery.
You can see a full sized version of one of these pics at
http://images3.fotopic.net/?iid=ye6gfr& ... &nostamp=1
One need not jump thru so many hoops , you could just let the Camera do all the work , load the JPEG and not the raw files into photoshop for a little tweaking if you want , and get PShop to create a web gallery.
<<

Administrator 2

3 Star Contributor

Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 am

I was just passing thought checking things were working ok and saw this thread and had to reply.

Not that I'm recomending these, never seen one, and probably never will...

http://www.phaseone.com/

16-40 Mega Pixel digital SLR cameras. Clearly going to be crazy money, but interesting to see what the top end of the market is doing!
<<

Mark Candlin

2 Star Contributor

Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:53 pm

try the canon

A good camera is the Canon eos 20d, they have just brought out a updated camera the 30d so watch out for bargins for the eos 20d as retailers get rid of stock. Its a digital slr so it need a bit more work in getting exposure right etc but its a great camera.
<<

James White

2 Star Contributor

Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:20 pm

My buy digital slr would be Canon 350d for no more than £500 unless you need fullframe sensor, for serious photography the bodies are just about through away a good lens collection is where its at.

James
<<

CUTAJAR JOSEPH

1 Star Contributor

Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:48 pm

Well,
I find the Sony Cybershot DSC H1 with 12 optical zoom is good enough for me. Though I prefare AAA type size battery and a good charger at hand.

Cheers
Joe

Return to Say Hello & Off Topic Chat