Categories
  • TIMELINE

Great ... another upgrade

<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Great ... another upgrade

OK my turn for a rant.

I started using PC's for sign cutting a few years ago using Corel 5 (before then I used an Amiga 2000) then Corel 8, then Corel 11.
Last year I started getting a few Corel files I couldn't open in version 11 from people with 12, so after a few months of asking people to save as version 11 I decided to upgrade to 12.
Not a problem, splashed out a bit of money, went to install and it says operating system not supported. I was still using Win98 SE because I didn't like the way XP took control of everything for me but if I wanted to run Corel 12 it had to be done.
So not wanting to upset my print/cut routine (If it ain't broke don't fix it) I got a second hand P-III and Windows XP to install Corel 12 onto.
It works fine, if someone sends me a version 12 file I fire up the spare PC open it then save as version 11 then open it up on my main PC then print/cut the file.
I have now started to get a few EPS files that Corel 12 spits the dummy at, when I ask what program they saved it in they say Illustrator CS don't you have it ?
No I don't have it but no doubt Corel X3 will be able to import it, Great, that's the answer spend more money on upgrades.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is do we really need to upgrade every year or so for programs that probably don't really offer much more than the previous version just done differently, and is it really necessary to change the format ?

Boy, that feels better now.
Rant over.
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:15 pm

Corel a right pain they are.. .but last year I was expecting Corel 13 but it didn't appear as it is always around my birthday time.. so, the trend of yearly updates had stopped. And yes, the primary reasons for the update was the Corel 12 format, Publish to PDF improvements and to import a more recent PDF format version. The dynamic guides was nice but not needed, the other bits are exactly the same as Corel 11.

As usual there is stability issues with the release of Corel, however in 11 they had the Temp File error, this was corrected with a patch, then there was too many Application Recovery issues, this was imporved with 2-3 Service Packs. In Corel 12 I beleive there is just one Service Pack.

You can install Corel 10, 11 and 12 all in seperate folders without any interference, I suspect the cutting software will work fine. However I would reconmend XP or Windows 2000 to you, just for the improvements to stability, XP is rock solid if it is kept up to date with Windows Updates. Windows 98 on a modem/internet is not secure, patches come out but Microsoft have dropped support (i think), so I couldn't use it and it's Windows 95/98 has a slower processing rate to NT/2000/XP. Also if it is the XP appearance then you can turn all the features off and make it look like 98 very easily. Just go to Control Panel, display, Themes and select Windows Classic it will look like win98

Anyway. I hate all theses Corel updates, but Adobe are the only ones that get it right.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:22 pm

Frog Man,

Corel 12 should be able to import Illustrator CS files , but it wont import Illustrator CS2 files (at least it wont for me). Have spent most of the morning saving CS2 files as CS files and then importing the CS files into Corel 12 - a right pain all round.

Martin
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:29 pm

Ha ! Good there's a CS2 'bout bloody time.

.... sorry for my sarcasm ....

Was probably one of those files.
<<

L-Gold Member
L-Gold Member

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:39 pm

You can send your file to me at (mod-edit) and I will try it in Corel X3 if you like. Corel V12 had 1 SP and a minor eps fix. V12 is stable. X3 is also stable I am comparing them to V10 which in my opinion was not especially good in 2000 or XP and was poor in Win 98. And do Adobe really get it right, half the problems people get is when Adobe move the goal posts.
Alan D
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:15 am

hey frog man......are you from brisbane..... :wink:
you look familiar.......or do you always get that....
....johnny :)
<<

1 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:22 am

Hi John,

I get that from my missus all the time :D
I'm from the other side of the planet, Perth.
<<

2 Star Contributor

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:33 am

i am melting.
it,s so bloody hot here in brisbane.
i am going to get shot down in a big way now by every one,
but have you ever thought about, try before you buy.
kazza...

Return to General Software Topics