my invisible text
Categories
  • TIMELINE

<<

Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 11:19 pm

do you think traditional signing is finished?
personal thoughts are it is not. as i think there will always be people looking for that method of signing. but...is there a decent living to be made from it nowadays.
every time im chatting to somone and it comes up they say "oh thats finished"...what do you think?
rachel
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:13 pm

Signwriting?...dead?...never...and I'm not a signwriter!

So what do you know about it? - I hear you say. Well, I'll tell you this, Some blame the onslaught of computers into the world of signs as being the reason for a great many crap signs - when the fact is there have always been a great many such signs!

Just as signwriters had to think about computers so cut vinyl signmakers now have to consider the digital revolution - as the song says "they say the next big thing is coming...but it's just a little bit of history repeating"

I know quite a few signwriters who are also good friends and they often spend time here with me at my studio, together we create masks, plots and designs which they then use in their own work and in return they inspire me with their wonderful freestyle expressions and process which I can't wait to re-create in cut vinyl...fantastic!

I think to myself - "if I could truly write with brushes there is so very much I would do!" -truly! I believe it's not just about ability it's about attitude...

I love you brush guys and gals - and I know you love us vinyl dudes too! We can do such great stuff together and that's why we have UKSG and why we should organise meets and get-togethers here in the UK - not those sterile NEC supermarkets - more 'fun in the park' stuff...anyway that's for another time eh?

Oh well, now my glass is empty, it's been a long week and I'm sleepy...I'll stop preaching :smile:

goodnight letterheads, wordsmiths, and all you makers of signs...

mike
<<

Post Sun Dec 16, 2001 6:47 pm

Like the idea of the meet mike.
Maybe we should start to think about one in the late summer. Once the site is more established & we have found our feet...

What do others think of a UK meet?

Robert
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 12:25 am

we should have a meet at the uk sign exhibition !!!
to promote the uksg and give people something decent to look at and get involved with although i doubt that the group organisers would give us a free stand !!!
<<

Post Thu Dec 27, 2001 11:17 pm

yeh true mate i think its about £55 a square foot... hhhmmm then again who says we cant meet in the canteen area.
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:15 pm

lets all carry sandwich boards round with UKSG wants you on them and recruit lonely signmakers
<<

4 Star Contributor

Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 9:03 am

lets all make a certain design of badge we can then recognise each other as we walk round
<<

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Mon May 06, 2002 11:20 pm

Signwriting is certainly not dead in Fife, there are areas in Fife where the council will give you a grant towards your signage if it is painted. There are other areas where they will only allow painted signs. Apparently its all to do with preserving Fifes heratige.
<<

Post Mon May 06, 2002 11:41 pm

yeh martin theres actualy a place near me called lanark.
its a conservation area and only allow traditioanl signage.

i entered the great international signlab contest a few years back with a sign i made for this very area. the company wanted a tradional sign. but also wanted it to look upmarket!
i decided to make a stained glass window with there name, logo and moto on it. look very good and the company loved it. so did the council for that matter.
anyway, i receaved a phone call from signlab in england saying they were delighted to inform me i was in the short list. the last dozen or so.
"gee i thought" my work in the world sign making finals short list...

few months past nothing... called them up and to ask what was happening... not that i expected to win but just to get an update.

oh yes mister lambie im sorry but you where not successful. complete lists should be posted out to all finalists. ok very well i mummbled and went off rather down to say the least.
few weeks past & incomes the list. i glance over it to see the out right winners. there it was the winner in black and white aarrrggghhhh.
Mr Mike Brown (aka) mike
oh well i had to say i was gonna be beat it would be by mike. and a top job he did at that. made me sick...mummble mummble :wink:

:lol:
<<

5 Star Contributor

Post Fri May 17, 2002 2:22 pm

Wow robert, I didn't know all that. Could we coax Mike to show us the winning entry so we can all drool down our beards (those that have them)?
________
Marijuana Dispensaries
Last edited by Gray Hodge on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Post Fri May 17, 2002 11:09 pm

well gray... i think thats a question for mikey boy!
im sure i have a pic of my entry some place... ill have a look.

maybe mike will but it was a few years ago now...

ah those were the days mike ...eh? :wink:

Return to General Sign Topics