uksignboards.com uksignboards.com
created by sign makers for sign makers

Last 24 HoursLast 24 Hours Board RulesBoard Rules FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the boards :
  Advanced Search 
Search wikisignpeda :

how do i remove old paint from van?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   %s Forum Index -> Painting, Carving, Goldleaf etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gazza
UKSB Regular
UKSB Regular

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: how do i remove old paint from van? Reply with quote

Hi all, my old tranny van is going to be my trial base but it has been hand painted in places at one time My question is, apart from lots of sandpaper and elbow grease, does anybody recommend or know of a good paint remover?. I don't want to go the Nitromors way unless it has to be, mainly due to the mess and the fact kids run about where i normally work. I believe the paint is Carplan brush-on brand. Any suggestions please? Also, if i decide to use a sander, will vinyl adhere to the flattened surface? or will i have to treat it?

Ta
Gaz
brian the brush
UKSB Newbie

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gazza,
I don't really understand your question ?
Do you want to just get rid of the brushed on paint and hope to leave the factory finished paintwork that is hopefully underneath intact ?

Brian.
(no ads please)
Gazza
UKSB Regular
UKSB Regular

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian, yeah mate, sorry i didn't make it clear earlier. I want to strip the brush paint and also the underseal around the arches/ sill area. I reckon Cellulose thinners will take the underseal off but i don't know how to tackle the brush paint. any ideas?

Gaz
Jill Marie Welsh
Gold Plus Member
Gold Plus Member

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
Here in the States we use Easy-Off Oven Cleaner
to remove old hand-painted lettering.
I am sure you have a similar product "over there".
It is a caustic, stinky aerosol oven cleaner.
It can only be done indoors, working a small area
at a time. Spray it carefully on the lettering, or
spray some in an old ceramic dish & dab it on
with a cheap paintbrush. Then carefully scrape the
whole mess off with a L'il Chisler or a plastic razor blade.
You must test it in an inconspicuous place first
(not yer armpit) to see if it will damage your underlying
paint. Never do this in the bright sunshine.
I think if it were me that I would maybe just paint
a patch over the whole thing, or stick on a vinyl
patch. Sounds like a pain in the butt.
Love-JILL
Gazza
UKSB Regular
UKSB Regular

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jill,nothing would give me more pleasure than sticking vinyl over it - can you buy roughcast vinyl??, coz that's what it would look like if i did sticker it!, honestly, the paintwork looks like it has been put on by a blind man using a sweeping brush (apologies to any blind persons reading this post)

Gaz
flyingsplash
UKSB Newbie

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: MR MUSCLE OVEN CLEANER synthetic thinners Reply with quote

Hi mate, yep thats the one, Mr Muscle oven cleaner works wonders, it depends thoe how long its being on for thoe & if its single or double coated, if this is the case then synthetic thinners works well but you gotta be carefull & work quick as it sofens the base coat, then just pannel wipe back, ive done this with all over paint graphics on vehicles, hope this helps.....flying splash pete.
Steve Broughton
UKSB High Post Member
UKSB High Post Member

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazza wrote:
Hi Jill,nothing would give me more pleasure than sticking vinyl over it - can you buy roughcast vinyl??, coz that's what it would look like if i did sticker it!, honestly, the paintwork looks like it has been put on by a blind man using a sweeping brush (apologies to any blind persons reading this post)

Gaz

:lol: :lol: :lol: Do they do monitors in braille then Gaz??????
Gazza
UKSB Regular
UKSB Regular

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Steve but you have to turn the sound up so you can read it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    %s Forum Index -> Painting, Carving, Goldleaf etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: