uksignboards.com uksignboards.com
created by sign makers for sign makers

Last 24 HoursLast 24 Hours Board RulesBoard Rules FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the boards :
  Advanced Search 
Search wikisignpeda :

how do you get vinyl wrap to stick

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shane Drew
Gold Plus Member
Gold Plus Member

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: how do you get vinyl wrap to stick Reply with quote

to the bump strips on the side of a sprinter.

The client has decided that he wants the grey plastic bit wrapped as well. I usually trim around them, anyone want to tell me the secret of getting (3M180) stuff to stick?
Karl Williams
UKSG Member
UKSG Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you get vinyl wrap to stick Reply with quote

Wrap vinyl will go down with plenty of heat mate and look good when you do it. Personally though I wouldn't trust it to stay put. If the moldings were sprayed first professionally then it should work.
Shane Drew
Gold Plus Member
Gold Plus Member

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Karl.

I read somewhere that you could spray it with a primer coast to make the adhesion better?
Kate Griffiths

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sell a product in the UK called Dow Corning® 1200 OS Primer. Its an air drying primer and is used to improve both the quality and speed of adhesion development . Im not sure if you can get hold of something like that, some of our customers swear by it when wrapping.

Hope this helps?

Kate
Karl Williams
UKSG Member
UKSG Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane Drew wrote:
Thanks Karl.

I read somewhere that you could spray it with a primer coast to make the adhesion better?

I've not heard of it mate but I think Kate's reply would be the answer you're looking for.
Shane Drew
Gold Plus Member
Gold Plus Member

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Karl.

Kate, the primer is probably the answer then. I'll see if I can buy a can tomorrow on my way to the job.

Thanks for you help friends

Cheers
Shane
Martin Pearson
UKSG Member
UKSG Member

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane, I normally do the same as you and explain to the customer that the vinyl doesn't really stick to the moulding. Have had customers ask for me to cover them anyway and what I have done is use plenty of heat and then trim round them so if there are problems it will only be the vinyl on the bump strip that comes off.
Kate Griffiths

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome Shane, hope it works for you!

Kate
Karl Williams
UKSG Member
UKSG Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine telling the client that Martin. I've been in this position myself. No matter what advice you give though mate if it comes off then you'll be the one facing the embarrassment and a reputation of delivering poor workmanship. We know what works and what does not so why attempt not to do the job correctly. It'll only come back to kick you in the @rse later.
Martin Pearson
UKSG Member
UKSG Member

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl. this is actually quite difficult to reply to, I think you are right that the job should be done properly and most of the jobs have been but when a customer insists that he wants it over the bump strips what do you do? If I hadn't done it then there was a good chance that the customer would have gone else where and I would have lost out on the job. OK now I am in a position where I can afford to turn jobs away if I want to but at the time these vans were done I wasn't in a position where I could turn any work away.
Jill Marie Welsh
Gold Plus Member
Gold Plus Member

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not do wraps but I hear a lot of talk about 3M primer on another forum I frequent.
Maybe this could be of help?
Again, I know nothing about wrapping, only presents.
Love....Jill
Karl Williams
UKSG Member
UKSG Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
Karl. this is actually quite difficult to reply to, I think you are right that the job should be done properly and most of the jobs have been but when a customer insists that he wants it over the bump strips what do you do? If I hadn't done it then there was a good chance that the customer would have gone else where and I would have lost out on the job. OK now I am in a position where I can afford to turn jobs away if I want to but at the time these vans were done I wasn't in a position where I could turn any work away.

Hay Martin I totally understand what you are saying mate. But the customer is not always right is he? It bugs me when they say it Must be done this way and that's what I want when you know they are wrong and it won't work. They put you in a corner to do it their way then complain or sl@g you off when it goes t!ts up.
Jason Xuereb
Gold Plus Member
Gold Plus Member

australia.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to go over them Shane make sure you relief cut around the plastic so if it starts to fail only the vinyl on the plastic will lift and it won't start lifting your whole wrap.

Get it signed off also because pretty sure 3M won't warranty any high energy plastic surfaces.
Shane Drew
Gold Plus Member
Gold Plus Member

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Friends,

finished up removing them and wrapping them off the vehicle. The new 3M180 colours are really sticky and had no problem adhering to the surface to date. Cleaned the plastic with straight metho and the adhesion was very impressive.

We got caught in a hail storm, so unable to finish the job tonight, so I've left a couple of the plastic bits covered for a few days to see what the results are like after a few days. I can't get to finish the van till friday unfortunately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    %s Forum Index -> Wrapping All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: