uksignboards.com uksignboards.com
created by sign makers for sign makers

Last 24 HoursLast 24 Hours Board RulesBoard Rules FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the boards :
  Advanced Search 
Search wikisignpeda :

Foison C24 problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashley Brayson
UKSB Newbie

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Foison C24 problem Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I've just purchased my first ever cutter a Foison C24. I didn't have much money to play with! I have a problem. Should I be able to see the cutter move up and down between jobs because the blade seems to be scoring the surface when it moves between letters. If I back it off so it doesn't mark the surface it won't cut the letters. Apparently pressing the test button on the plotter itself should move the cutter up and down but it moves it very quickly from left to right

When idle how close to the surface should the blade be?

Thank you

Ashley
Lynn Normington
UKSB High Post Member
UKSB High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley I don't know that plotter but it should all be in your manual

Lynn
Ashley Brayson
UKSB Newbie

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lyn,
Unfortunately the manual is very sketchy and translated from chinese in acrobat reader. I think they assume you've owned one before

Thanks anyway.

Ashley
Gareth Lewis
UKSB High Post Member
UKSB High Post Member

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley - silly question but could the person who sold the plotter tell you?
Ashley Brayson
UKSB Newbie

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a silly question at all. I just thought I'd ask here before doing that. I was hoping someone else might have the same type as me.
Paul Humble
UKSB High Post Member
UKSB High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had one of these lying in the house for a month now and last night decided to try and set it up. To say the instructions are all over the place is an understatement and the drivers are as good as useless.

In the end after 3 hours of me and a mate tearing our hair out we gave in. We used the latest driver, installed the Flexisign patch, but no matter what we did Windows could not read the drivers. We checked the device manager in Windows XP and the driver was there just with an error message saying that it couldn't read them.

I'm going to try to contact Sign Wizard today where I bought it from, but it looks like all their technical support is through the forum, which I find very irritating.

I think I'm old fashioned but I like to talk to someone on the telephone when dealing with problems as constant email/forum ping pong rarely seems to get the job done.

Its true that you get what you pay for, ill have another go tonight then it will be going on eBay and a better package will be purchased.
Ashley Brayson
UKSB Newbie

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to stick up for Foison. I sent mine back and they sorted out the problem. Got it back the day after. I'm using FlexiSign Pro which works fine with it . I've overcome the rounded corner issue by changing the blade offset to 0.031 instead of the default 0.051.

It now cuts great and I am very inpressed with mine after some initial problems. Stick with it and I think It'll be worth it. There's nothing around in this price bracket . This was my only affordable option and to be honest I'm glad I got mine.

I'm only doing basic lettering but it's fine for me.

Don't be discouraged.

I know the manual is not great though!

I simply adjusted the blade so it just protrudes from the bottom of the holder. Settings are 100/28 usually. I've not adjusted the blade depth at all like the manual states. This must be a typo I think.

Good luck.
Paul Humble
UKSB High Post Member
UKSB High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. Tonight I uninstalled everything my mate did yesterday and started from scratch, following the online guide to the letter......It worked fine with Flexisign and has cut a few test pieces a treat.

I dont want to sound like a total fool, but what do you mean by the blade offset?
Ashley Brayson
UKSB Newbie

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you've selected cut, the cut/plot window opens.

Where it says send now, click the drop down menu next to it and select hold in list.

Then in the Production Manager window right click on the job you're wanting to cut in the list and select properties.

In this window click on the cutter tab and go down to the knife offset bar. I think this reads .051 or .51. Change the 5 to a 3.

I don't know what this does but it improves the accuracy some how.

I haven't had time to try out other settings but it works for me.

Now and again I have some small areas that it's skipped but it's just a matter of cutting with a scalpel.

Hope this helps.

Ashley
Steven Taylor
UKSB Newbie

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

So im new to the world of vinyl signs and im very interested in buying a cheap piece of kit to start with as i dont want to spend thousands and then chuck it in the cupboard if i get board.
Now i know that Foison cutters are not respected in the slightest with some people on this forum as i have been doing my research, but i am glad i have found someone who finds them ok.
I do have a couple of questions to ask if anyone would be so kind to reply.
Is the software that comes with the cutter good enough to get started and what version of corel draw is best for a beginner like me?

Thanks guys
Paul Humble
UKSB High Post Member
UKSB High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Firstly its good practice to say hello and introduce yourself in the newbie room if you want to make a good impression and reap the rewards of the vast knowledge the members of this board can offer.

As for Foison, IF you can get the thing to work without uninstalling itself everyday and having the supplier blame everything from the USB cable to the brand of dogfood you fed your beloved pet last friday afternoon, then go for Corel X3.

I had a Foison for 1 month and it nearly made me give up and go back to working for Shell (ive still got it actually, its where I hang my clothes when I come in drunk).

Paul
Ashley Brayson
UKSB Newbie

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I use Flexisign so I'm not sure what software comes with the plotter. I also use Photoshop for my lettering at the moment.

I don't do anything fancy with the plotter but I'm very pleased with it.
Brian Hays

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley Brayson wrote:
Hi,
I use Flexisign so I'm not sure what software comes with the plotter. I also use Photoshop for my lettering at the moment.

Odd that by your own admission that "you don't have much to play with" to buy a Vinyl Cutter, yet you have expensive software?
Paul Humble
UKSB High Post Member
UKSB High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was over a grand at last check.
Steven Taylor
UKSB Newbie

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Humble wrote:
Hi,

Firstly its good practice to say hello and introduce yourself in the newbie room if you want to make a good impression and reap the rewards of the vast knowledge the members of this board can offer.

Ok, I will do that but Please forgive me as i am a newbie to forums as well and dont really know the ins and outs.

So seriously am i going to regret parting with my hard earned money on one of these machines as it certainly seems like it?
What are the alternatives on the cheaper end of the market?
Ashley Brayson
UKSB Newbie

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Odd that by your own admission that "you don't have much to play with" to buy a Vinyl Cutter, yet you have expensive software?

I tend to go for the best software and work from there. I've found the Foison to do all I want. Sorry.
Peter Normington
UKSB High Post Member
UKSB High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley Brayson wrote:
Hi,

how do you manage with photoshop for lettering, I find it quite difficult
Peter
John Thomson
UKSG Member
UKSG Member

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Humble wrote:

Flexi Starter 8.5 is 57 plus shipping on your favorite auction site.....straight from the authorised distributors complete with dongle, clipart and fonts CD ....bargain I think.

John
Paul Humble
UKSB High Post Member
UKSB High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Paul Humble wrote:

Flexi Starter 8.5 is 57 plus shipping on your favorite auction site.....straight from the authorised distributors complete with dongle, clipart and fonts CD ....bargain I think.

John
`

Thats super cheap John, at that price I shall be buying tomorrow!
Steve McAdie
UKSG Member
UKSG Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a basic flexi free with some chinese cutters but it has limited features it is probably the Flexi Starter, the pro version which is what Ashley has is over 3 grand plus vat
Graham Tallis
UKSB Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Had the same problem. Reply with quote

Hi Steve, ive got a Secabo c120. This is the same machine. what you will find is that the software you are using isnt really compatible with the machine. The Secabo came with flexi starter I couldn't get on with it anyway as I'm used to using Easy Sign. The drivers for the cutter is in that package. The guys at Easy Sign in the Head Office where really help full and help me out a treat. I was using the hgml setting which wasn't good enough. Also are you using Vista, if so get rid of it strait away as this also makes the cutter do the same thing you said, it cuts all over the place. I bought the package as Vista compatible (is it hell) give us a ring 01726 76445.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    %s Forum Index -> Cutter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: