uksignboards.com uksignboards.com
created by sign makers for sign makers

Last 24 HoursLast 24 Hours Board RulesBoard Rules FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the boards :
  Advanced Search 
Search wikisignpeda :

what vinyl can i lacquer over?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Jay
UKSB Newbie

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: what vinyl can i lacquer over? Reply with quote

When I get up and running I'm hoping to do some motorbike graphics - Starting with my own!

I want some vinyl that can be lacquered over without risk of reaction. Is there any particular make or range I should be looking at - also does the thickness of the vinyl vary much? I'd obviously want stuff quite thin and very flexible.

Are there any CDs of bike outlines available like the van and car ones. And also is it possible to get templates of the Original Genuine graphics? i.e to replicate standard graphics to replace a single panel that has become damaged or say use the standard layout so the bike looks original but change the colour scheme to add a new twist!?
Stephen Morriss
Gold Member
Gold Member

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim

You want to be using good quality vinyl, don't bother with the cheap ones.
I use Mactac 9800 and have no problems with it, I've been doing some super bikes for a few seasons now and that's what I've always used, don't know what make of paint is being used but it's commercial car stuff as the fairings are painted in a paint shop

Steve
Phill Fenton
UKSG Member
UKSG Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought the 2005 vehicle outlines from Impact. Included in the package I bought was a CD called "Graphics to go". This includes a whole lot of Motorcycle logos and Car graphics. Tel. 01438 350902
Martin
UKSG Member
UKSG Member

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim, People have asked for bike outlines in the past and I don't remember anyone offering a supplier so they may not exist but Brian will know more about that. As for vinyl don't think that the thinner it is the easier it will conform to curves this is not the case. KPMF manufacture a vinyl especially for vehicle wrapping and it is a 100 micron film (quite thick for a vinyl), also macfleet is a fairly thick vinyl although not as thick as the KPMF.
Best thing to do is speak to different suppliers and maybe try to get some samples, try them out and see what you get on best with.

I think you will find that the Motorbike manufacturers keep the graphics under lock and key and don't release them for sale so the only way to get original templates for various bikes is to find someone who has coppied them, most bike graphics are multicolour and printed so re-creating them in vinyl is a long winded affair.

Not trying to put you off but I try and stay clear of them myself, if someone wants something original doing then thats a different matter altogether but copying existing graphics and trying to size them to fit can be a nightmare.
Brian Little
Gold Plus Member
Gold Plus Member

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye Martin i got to agree ....time and time again ive fallen for this and not been able to match the colours or shapes
Peter Normington
UKSB High Post Member
UKSB High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a few bikes but only when the originals cant be got, or someone wants to copy a race bike.
some of the original stuff as said is very hard to replicate, its usually printed and on materials you cannot get like chrome and holographic.
Its easy to see why original stuff can cost hundreds for a full bike.
My tip is if you can do it make sure you charge enough, bikers are very fussy, and they will want quality.
after all most of them are old codgers, that have only just been able to realise their teenage dreams.
Peter
Alan Wharton
UKSB Regular
UKSB Regular

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We paint n repair the motogp yamaha team and we get all the gfx sent in from holland where the yamaha motogp factory is but alot of the gfx are painted on to the carbon fibre but there is a weight restriction on the amount of paint that can be applied, as in grams lol ill see if i can find out where they get the yam gfx from tho.
Tim Jay
UKSB Newbie

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

The reason I was thinking about thickness was because I don't want too much of a ridge to show once the vinyl is lacquered over, most of what I want to do is relatively flat/smooth panels.

I've recently bought a 1988 sports bike, I'd like to keep it in an original style so it still fits the period but reverse the colours, the bike is white with Red decals, I want to paint it red metallic and have white or silverish decals, because of the age the graphics are quite basic and just a solid logo with solid drop Shadow effect, easily done in two colour vinyl (I say easy although I haven't done anything yet - ever)

Since I'll be doing the whole bike I only need to make it look right, I might even end up changing it a bit so I don't need to worry too much about matching, I want it to look like it's was meant to look like that from the factory. It's just if it goes well and other people ask about it they might want different things so wondered what might be realistically achievable.

This is possibly a project for over the winter when the bike isn't going to get much use anyway so if I get it done I'll post some before and after pics.

As I said it's my own bike, I've also got my wife Transit to decal, so once I've experimented with both of those hopefully I'll be confident enough to offer my services to the general public!?

Thanks again.

(Alan - it just so happens to be a Yamaha!)
Mike Fear
Gold Member
Gold Member

wales.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH unless you can create vectors from scratch, you're going to have a lot of problems. There are CD's etc.. available with various logos on, but a lot of them are wrong, and mostly only for older bikes ( e.g. nothing for models in the past 5 years ).

Nobody does outlines of bikes, so again, this is something you'll have to learn - but the major problem is that bikes dont have many flat panels like cars do - trying to get a decal made from a 2D picture to fit the contours of a fairing is pretty much impossible. If you have the panels in front of you, you can make up paper templates from them, but trying to offer full decals as an aftermarket thing is going to be far more trouble than its worth.

For lacquering, any decent quality vinyl will be fine, you will always get a slight edge on them, but OE decals also have this, so I wouldnt worry overly about it.

I do a lot of work for bikes, so if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    %s Forum Index -> Vinyl Discussion Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: